Montague Charter Academy

Charter | K-5

Living in Pacoima

Situated in an inner city neighborhood. The median home value is $225,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,470.

Posted September 17, 2013

Montague Charter Academy is a great school. Teachers are very dedicated and our new director has high standards for her students and staff. They really improved communication with parents and became more organized last year. My child is in 4th grade this year. She loves coming to school. We are very happy!

Posted May 13, 2013

Montague Charter Academy of the Arts and Sciences is an exemplary school. Montague teachers go above and beyond for their students. Some teachers offer after school tutoring and free tutoring on Saturdays. My daughter is in first grade this year, and I couldn't have asked for a more dedicated and passionate teacher. Mrs. P transformed my daughter from a student that disliked school and did not know how to read, to a young lady that knows how to read fluently and write a complete, detailed paragraph. The greatest thing about a Charter School is that young and innovated teachers like her are given a chance, as opposed to the district that lays off the teachers who have the desire to teach. I have created a bond with the Montague family; one that I could never had made in another school. However, the current person in charge is young and has a lot to learn. Regardless of the lack of confidence I have in regards to the director, I have full confidence this school will continue to succeed beyond my wildest dreams due to the fabulous staff it houses.

Posted December 11, 2012

Of course we all have different experiences and points of view. When my daughter was in kindergarten her teacher had a kid with some kind of problem and i felt like all of the teachers attention was taken by this little boy, who would throw tantrums and throw his desk and throw toys during class time. This was dangerous for all the other kids and teachers included, yet he was never put in a seperate class. This same teacher took my child, whom she had said was behind, out of intercession because she said that my daughter would not benefit from it because she was a kid that could not stay still. My child repeated kindergarten and that second teacher was great, he actually tried to help my kid, he sent her to saturday school something the other teacher never even talked to me about. Now my daughter is in 1st grade and her class is full of over active kids, like her.I would like to know whose idea this was. When I spoke to the new principal and vice-principal about it they said that it was not reason enough to change her class. Well apparently it was reason enough to get my daughter out of intercession, which she really did need.

Posted October 12, 2012

API scores went up again! (800 API) . The numbers speak for themselves. This school is doing something right. More Parents should show up to parent meetings and school functions.

Posted June 20, 2011

I am very proud to be a MCA parent. The school has excellent 5th grade teachers who really care about their student's academic success. This year was a great year for my child here at Montague, I'm sure next year will also be a great year.

Posted March 30, 2011

My child is a first grader at Montague Charter Academy and he has excelled beyond my wildest dreams with his teacher. She is an amazing person and I feel that she pulled my child out of the hole that he was in from his kindergarten teacher from a different school that he was going to last year. She knows EXACTLY how to deal with him and what he needs. She has opened him up to all things creative and encourages him to be a better student and person. I truly wish that she could be his teacher EVERY year! Montague is blessed to have this teacher on staff, but I know that he will get a great teacher next year as well! They are all wonderful teachers here at MCA and they completely care about the kids that go there.

Posted March 27, 2011

I have been a kindergarten teacher for 6 years at Montague Charter Academy. I am also a parent. I feel that it says a lot about a school when it's teachers entrust their child's education to their colleagues. Both of my children have and currently receive a strong standard based curriculum. The teachers are caring, and go above and beyond their paid hours to create a positive learning environment that fosters independence and self-esteem. There are no schools like this one. Parents are welcome on campus and are encouraged to join a council and participate in their child's education. After reading the comments below....There will always be someone that is upset about their individual circumstances. Overall, as a parent I am very happy with the educational opportunities that my children have here. Music, computers, art are classes available to all students. Our class sizes are lower than any LAUSD school. There are many extra supports available to struggling students as well. Montague's Kindergarden is like no other. Our parents work daily with their child for 1 hour each morning during the Doing words program. It's amazing!!!

Posted September 8, 2010

great school, excellent teachers, I like their staff their are nicely a polite, this school is focus on the challenging of ours kids

Posted May 12, 2010

I agree with the concerns that parents have. As a parent I have only have had bad experiences at Montague Charter academy. The principals feel that just because they run a chater school it gives them the power to do whatever they want to do and not follow school guidelines. It's time to look for a different school. I would not recommend Montague!

Posted May 8, 2010

I am incredibly proud to be a teacher at Montague. The teachers work together and collaborate often, continuing to strive for the best teaching practices. We have helpful, caring families, and parents volunteer and are active participants on governing councils. Our acting executive director is capable, dependable, and actually went to Montague as a child. We celebrate the arts, and have an outstanding music and visual arts program; this is very rare in other schools. Theatre productions are a way for children to express themselves through the arts. We have a computer lab and full time technology instructor. We have a state of the art physical education program, with trained staff who deliver a quality program to students. Our Gifted and Talented program ensures a rigorous academic program. The teachers, faculty, students, and parents built and made Montague a success. I am excited to continue creating a school based on excellence!

Posted May 7, 2010

I like the school overall but we have to improve how teachers handle our children.

Posted May 5, 2010

As a parent at Montague, I feel welcome into my child's classroom anytime. There are many schools that do not allow parents on to the campus. I feel fortunate that I can walk my kids to their classrooms and talk with their teachers anytime I want to. The teachers work with parents to help the children achieve to their greatest ability. I am aware of the change in leadership at Montague, but as far as the children go, they have not been phased by it. Their day has not been affected at all. I am very glad that my kids are having their elementary school experience at Montague. They getting a solid foundation that will prepare them for all of the education in the future.

Posted May 2, 2010

Montague Charter Academy is a great school! The teachers are caring and have high standards for all their students. This school has many programs that others schools do not have. Kindergarten has a program called 'Donig Words'in which parents are involved in the first hour of school helping their child one on one. Montague also has a great arts department having music, computer, and art teachers. The staff is caring and the school does have a nurse 2-3 times a week. The staff is very dedicated and all teachers have assistants to help students who need more attention. The API grew many points last year and this school is in no danger of having low scores. The letters from the office are very helpful. The previous principal is no longer there but the school seems to run better without her. Montague truly wants every student succeed.

Posted March 10, 2010

I am a Parent who is very sad about everything that is going on right now in Montague,we have no Principle. no one seems to hear the parents voice, the collaborative board is failing our children our community.What happen to our children?Focus on the education of our childrens future.

Posted October 12, 2009

I am proud to be a teacher at this school! I truly feel that the whole staff cares about the well-being of the students--Administration, teachers, teacher assistants, classified, cafeteria, and custodial. Every single person on this campus attributes to the success of the students! This is proven by our meeting our AYP and API. This school is an amazing place to work!

Posted October 4, 2009

Montague Charter Academy is a LAUSD sponsored independent charter school. It has been a charter school since 1996! Since then, Montague has earned the California Distinguish Award, has met its AYP and API for all years in existence, except one year. It has a score of 791 with a 800 being the goal. It is a collaborative school where all stakeholders are valued and everyone has a voice. My son went to Montague even though I could afford a private school because its academic program is solid and standards based.

Posted December 18, 2008

I have been a teacher at Montague Charter Academy for over ten years, and I am excited to be a part of a school based on excellence. I enjoy working with my students, their families, and the school community. The arts are very important here at Montague, and children get the opportunity to learn about fascinating topics through dance, music, acting, and fine art. This school is top notch, and I am proud to be a part of it.

Posted December 11, 2008

Beware! Would not recommend.Administration does not listen. Teachers are okay.

Posted July 29, 2008

Bad school, staff members and administration do not care. Would not recommend.

Posted June 12, 2008

My godkids went here and now my son is here, just finishing up kindergarten. I have found the teachers as well as other staff members to be so incredibly helpful and caring. Mr. Nelson in particular, is a wonderful teacher. He truly cares about the kids, and pushes them to do their best in everything they do. Moreover, he strongly encourages parental involvement. The class as a whole has made such great progress much in part, to his teaching style.

This school's

(2012)

5 / 10

7 / 10

API Growth scores over time

Did this school meet the API goal this year?
  • This school did not meet its schoolwide API target for 2013.
  • This school has not yet met the state goal of 800.

API Growth scores by subgroup

Did this school meet all the API goals for student subgroups this year?
  • This school did not meet all student subgroup API targets for 2013

Change from 2012 to 2013
API Statewide Rank
(2012)

5 / 10

API Statewide Rank (2012)

7 / 10

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 56% in 2013.

203 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

203 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 46% in 2013.

174 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 66% in 2013.

174 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 65% in 2013.

185 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 72% in 2013.

185 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 60% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 57% in 2013.

All Students46%

This school District averageState average
Female 50%N/A48%
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 96%N/A55%
Male 50%N/A51%

The Los Angeles Unified School District (LAUSD) School Experience Survey asks parents, students and employees about their school's learning environment. Results provide insight into school climate, such as whether the school is academically rigorous, engaging, safe, and collaborative. Learn more

We organized questions from the LAUSD School Experience Survey into five categories. The respondent group-level results (parents, students, and school employees) show the percent of each respondent group that agree or strongly agree that the school has positive results for that category.

Overall school results for each category are calculated by averaging across group-level results, ensuring that each respondent group is equally represented. Alongside the results for each school are the aggregated results across all LAUSD schools, which are provided as a basis for comparisons.

Learn more about the LAUSD survey »Close
Based on 767 responses

This school provides ... 1

High academic expectations for all studentsWhat's this?

This score measures the percent of parents and students that agree to strongly agree that this school sets high academic expectations for its students and expects them to be college-bound. This score is based on the average of the following LAUSD survey Content Areas: School Future Expectations (Parents), School Quality (Parents), Future Plans (Parents), Opportunities For Learning (Students), Future Plans (Students).

This school

Healthy, respectful relationshipsWhat's this?

This score measures the percent of students and employees that agree to strongly agree that this school has a positive learning environment and cultivates an atmosphere of respect. This score is based on the average of the following LAUSD survey Content Areas: School Support (Students), Commitment and Collaboration (Employees), Satisfaction (Students), School Support (Students).

This school

A safe, clean and orderly environmentWhat's this?

This score measures the percent of parents, students and employees that agree to strongly agree that this school has a well-kept facility and a safe environment conducive to learning. This score is based on the average of the following LAUSD survey Content Areas: School Cleanliness (Employees), School Safety (Employees), Safety (Parents), School Cleanliness (Students), School Safety (Students).

This school

Strong family engagementWhat's this?

This score measures the percent of parents and employees that agree to strongly agree that this school engages parents and communicates with families to promote student learning. This score is based on the average of the following LAUSD survey Content Areas: Parent Involvement (Employees), Feeling of Welcome (Parents), School Involvement (Parents), Teacher to Parent Communication (Parents).

Based on surveys from:

• Ariana Goldring-Ravin
Fax number
  • (818) 834-9782

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

13000 Montague Street