No rating

Living Wisdom School Of Palo Alto

Private | K-8 | 60 students

Student diversity

Living in Palo Alto

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $1,203,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,790.

Posted December 26, 2013

I am a teacher at Living Wisdom School. I have taught at various schools in the Bay Area over the many years that I have been teaching, and none can compare to LWS. The curriculum is innovative and challenging, but, more important, the children, their families and the staff are happy. There is a strong sense of community at LWS. The children learn to respect themselves and their schoolmates. They learn to resolve conflicts honestly and with kindness. They are encouraged to learn to their highest potential, and the class numbers are small enough to ensure instruction that meets each child's individual needs. I wish I had known about LWS when my own children were in school. There is so much laughter and so much joy! It is a such a pleasure to come to school every day, to be met with smiles and laughter from my colleagues and my students. I am very fortunate to work here. I encourage everyone to visit the Living Wisdom School website, and to be sure to read our School Rules; they say it all!
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted December 3, 2013

My son began attending Living Wisdom School in sixth grade. Middle school years can be tumultuous and an opportunity to grow in positive or negative directions. Living Wisdom School provides a safe and nurturing setting to learn and grow both emotionally and academically. The academics are appropriately challenging while at the same time taking into consideration every child's unique learning style. Not only has my son received an excellent education, he has also grown personally by being a part of a community that fosters kindness, collaboration and joy in learning. He will graduate from Living Wisdom this year, well prepared for the years ahead and always remembering fondly the time our family spent as part of this wonderful school.

Posted May 17, 2013

It's hard to compress the greatness of the school into a few sentences, but here are a few facts after just one year with LWS: 1. Customized education to individual kids. After the first month, my daughter's kindergarten teacher told me about her observation about my daughter's tendency to follow her friends and being afraid of taking different paths, which happened to be my biggest concern through her preschool years. The teacher has already worked on giving her chances in the day-to-day activities to take initiatives. I sent my daughter to LWS knowing she has a more advanced math but didn't mention this. By the first teacher conference, her teacher told me that they planned to move my daughter up to grade one math. Kudos to our teachers who won't miss a thing about our children! 2. The annual theatrical production gives every kid the chance to explore cultural meanings, to learn rigorous practice, to appreciate teamwork. After hearing our kids raving about how much pride they felt on the stage facing the closing applause, you know they've been through a real magical journey. My daughter says LWS is the best school and she never wants to leave. Could you ask for more?

Posted September 14, 2012

My son has attended Living Wisdom School, since he was two and a half. We started in Seattle. He has always loved going to school. He thrives at Living Wisdom School! When we learned that we had to move for a job to come here, to California. We should have moved near the East Bay, near the location of my husband's job. Though, we moved down here, to be part of Living Wisdom School. So, my husband commutes, 4 hours a day, so that our son can go to this school. Our son would not have it any other way. He loves this school. We love this school. Now, he is in 4th grade and still loving it!

Posted March 12, 2012

I am a parent, a former school teacher, 20 years working in education, and a PhD in educational research from Stanford University. My son has been at LWS for two years now. It has been with great pain that we have moved my son from several different schools because the fit was not good yet I was not sure what I was looking for. I ve come to this school based on a tour, a great conversation with the principal, and a shadow day that my son spent there before enrolling him. I expected that he would learn and be well-cared for. But, the researcher in me kept noticing some quite amazing aspects of the school that continue to unfold for me over time. Their view of learning is both deep and expansive, where rigorous academics, positive social development, and a playful way of embracing the peaks and valleys of everyday life all come together seamlessly in the classroom, the playground, and in their high-quality theater productions. It may sound odd, but in all my studies of learning, the idea of joy has never really come up or been taken seriously by mainstream educational academics who are typically concerned only with achievement. But at LWS is it not either or , it is both and more!

Posted October 29, 2011

We have had two children attend LWS. The first for 8 years. And now a second for 5 years. To some it up succinctly - it is the type of school that we as parents always wanted to attend ourselves! First - just on the surface level the school has: (1) A very low student to teacher ratio (2) Highly customized student instruction (3) Curriculum that simultaneously addresses core academic requirements and supports healthy emotional development. But, beyond the surface - the school is much more. (1) The creative expression in the yearly play on a historical spiritual leader brings the school community together and consistently inspires audiences to pursue life with understanding and vigor (2) A warm and inviting environment which accelerates a student's self-growth and encourages individual expression. We could say a lot more - but, it difficult to put it down in a short review. We encourage you to contact the school and speak to a parent. They can give you the details. PS: The only reason that we did not give the school 5 stars is that we believe life is a quest for perfection! It is about the journey - not the destination.

Posted October 27, 2011

Our son went through the middle school here after a really difficult year and a half at the local Palo Alto middle school. The difference in the quality of the teachers, the calming atmosphere, and the love and genuine caring shown by the teachers was instrumental in turning our son's life around. His comment on returning from the first day at LWS was, "I could be who I am, and didn't need to pretend to be someone one". Our daughter who has by now spent 3 years at LWS in the elementary grades has benefitted tremendously by learning the importance of caring and being nice to others and prioritizing this above and beyond other things. These important lessons are taught at LWS through example and demonstration by all the teachers and adults at school. I also want to mention the wonderful theater program here. My daughter is very interested in drama and theater and this experience at LWS has been unbelieveably great. Moreover, the production of this show with all its nuances opens all the school's children (and parents), to an understanding of what it takes to put on a grand production--an invaluable experience in my opinion.

Posted October 14, 2011

Our son graduated from Living Wisdom School last year.He received an excellent education, was well prepared, and made an easy transition to a much larger high school. What sets this school apart is its willingness to allow the students to learn at their own pace. In so doing, the school fosters love of learning. This love of learning has made our son's academic life joyful, and given him an edge. We could not recommend Living Wisdom School more highly.

Posted September 27, 2011

This is an incredible school. We are Palo Alto parents who have tried the local schools, and feel that this school is giving our two children and amazing education. The academics are excellent and we find that the life skills our children are learning are helping them grow into great young people. Our children have gained confidence, are more focused, are better able to navigate thru conflicts, are more emotionally mature, and just seem happy. The teachers are very dedicated, accessible, and are inspiring role models. LWS is the school I would have wanted to go to when I was a child.

Posted September 13, 2011

This is remarkable school. Our 2 sons spent 8 years at this school. I truly believe it is the best gift we have given them in life. The academics were great, both sons are getting A's at a rigorous high school now. Most impressively though is not academics but the priority and emphasis the school places on teaching and training the children to interact positively and get along well with others. The teachers dedication to this is truly inspiring. When I volunteered for lunch and other duties, I saw teachers do conflict resolutions between kids whenever there was any upset, even just unkind words. They taught the kids, even kindergarteners, to look at each other in the eye, take turns telling their feels and listening. The kids learned true maturity, to empathize with others and how to then include others in their play. This is true leadership training. Many schools offer living skills & leadership classes, but the time to learn this is on the playground and in daily interactions. One son has taken "leadership & living skills" classes in high school, but they are just academic. He had much better emotional & leadership training on the playground of LWS.

Posted May 3, 2010

Have had my son here for nearly 2 years (grades 4-5). It has been truly transformative for him. Small class size and a level of dedication among the staff that truly could not possibly be beaten anywhere.

Posted March 27, 2006

We love this school! The 'education for life' philosophy provides our child with a solid foundation in academics as well as in life skills. The small class size and individual attention has made a big difference in my middle schooler's academic progress. The thorough academic curriculum is complemented by a variety of nonstandard learning situations, such as camping, a stage production, yoga, and music. I like the spiritual atmosphere and the 'family' feeling there. Our child's attitude toward school changed markedly for the better after coming to LWS. I recommend it to everyone.

• Ms. Anika Sargent
  • Coed

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious