PK-12|Private

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (3 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (3 responses)

Develops character: Strongly agree

Through the school plays on the lives of great people of every tradition plus the example the faculty and administration set, the school culture is one of kindness and respect.

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

Dedicated people who have the freedom to teach to their passion makes for an excellent learning environment.

Amount of homework: Strongly agree

Meaningful continuation of study from the school day is valuable to deepening the learning process. Independent reading, working on math problems, research into areas of interest are all valuable. I never saw busy work or work for work's sake at this school.

The single best thing we ever did for our son was to send him to Living Wisdom School! Training in how to be happy in life is almost totally ignored, yet it is SO important. Time tested techniques to increase will power and the ability to focus one's energies to complete a task - invaluable training! By all means, check out this school. You will not be disappointed!

Our three daughters started at the Living Wisdom School five months ago in the middle of the school year due to my husband's job that brought us from Berkeley to Palo Alto. They were studying in a private French school in Berkeley for five years and the transition was worrying for us especially for the older girls who are ten and eight. We have only one word to express how we feel right now--gratitude. The girls unequivocally declare that this is the best school ever, that they love the time and attention the teachers and administration give to them and their particular needs and interests. My oldest who was always afraid of math, now says she needs no help from us when she does her homework. Our middle daughter who barely read a book five months ago, now will not stop reading. And our youngest in Kindergarden asks me on weekends if she can go to school. In a competitive place like Palo Alto, for us parents it was a priority before we moved here that the children be in an environment that while giving them an excellent education will impart to them values about how to live, about how to comport themselves, about how to love learning as a life long process in a stress free and nurturing environment. I feel that this is happening and every day that we have been here, we have been very grateful for all the support they have received, from the transition into the school mid year to making friends to catching up with a new syllabus especially since they had done so much of their studies before in French. The school now goes all the way up till Middle School and I am looking forward to our daughters growing up into intelligent, articulate and overall good citizens in a global world. Happy LWS parents.

When my husband and I noticed that our once exceptionally bright, enthusiastic, and talented daughter was struggling (emotionally, socially, and academically) in our top-rated public school, we knew we had to pull out all the stops in order to help her. We've already tried a very disappointing local private school when she was younger. Thus, we knew that putting her in another typical private school is not the answer. What she needed was something truly extraordinary. Thankfully we found LWS. It's been about 4-5 months since our daughter started LWS, and she settled in as if she has always belonged there -- like she has finally come home. Honestly, we have never seen our daughter this joyous, appreciative, happy with herself, and so motivated to learn and to give her best as a student and as a valuable member of this incredible school community. I have also never seen such dedicated faculty: The teachers intimately get to know each and every student, they recognize the beauty and strength of each child, and they REALLY invest in each child. In another word, they give and give -- and they don't hold back. The educational philosophy and approach of LWS are both highly intelligent and amazingly evolved. As a former UCLA psychological researcher and a psychotherapist, I notice that everything LWS does is meaningful, purposeful, thoughtful, conscious, love-centered, and extraordinary. Furthermore, the proof is in the pudding -- our daughter is absolutely thriving in every way possible! I am convinced that this remarkable school is the best-kept secret in the Silicon Valley, and we will forever be grateful to have found this priceless gift. I highly recommend LWS to all the mindful parents who want their kids to truly succeed in life, as measured by their level of joy and positive contribution to the world. It just doesn't get better than this.

I’ve been honorary aunt/grandmother to many LWS children. Some of “my kids” are through college now. Worth noting how many credit their success — scholarships, career, relationships —to what LWS gave them. Education is so information oriented now— teaching to the test. Ironic, when the world is changing so fast, information is obsolete before the degree is earned. Success is how quickly you can learn, how easily you can adapt, how creatively and joyfully you can respond. The emphasis on pure academics — to the detriment of creating well-rounded individuals — makes even academics difficult to achieve. Develop the whole person and learning comes effortlessly. That’s what happens at LWS. Cutting edge research in education is looking more and more like Living Wisdom School. Yes, it is different. But different is what is needed now.

Hello, This is an update of my review of LWS from 2102. I have both my children there for the past 5 years. Both are doing great! As an education researcher, I see that the rest of the field is just now becoming aware of the pivotal role of self-regulation and executive function. LWS has a rich tradition of equipping students with content AND the tools to become self-directed learners. When you know HOW to learn, you can learn almost anything. A natural question that some parents have, is can children have a loving, joyful learning experience in K-8 AND still be prepared for life after LWS? The answer is YES! We have lots of evidence of this. Last spring's survey of LWS graduates (since 2011) showed that alum have an average grade point average of 3.85. Furthermore, Living Wisdom School graduates have gone to Stanford, almost all of the U.C. campuses, Cornell, University of Michigan, NYU, Goergetown, Oberlin, Bowdoin, Dublin U. in Ireland, London College in England, University of Breman, in Germany, U. of Washington, Loyola Marymount, San Francisco Conservatory of Music. The school is a wonderful community, preparing not only students as "learners", but also students as happy, productive, and fulfilled people.

This school produces exceptional human beings, there’s no doubt about that. You will likely never meet a child who's more poised, confident and who demonstrates such impressive public speaking skills than graduates of LWS. However, this alone isn't enough for the alarming number of families who leave every year creating a huge turnover. Our children went through the lower grades at this school and we couldn’t have been happier with the love and nurturing they received in pre-k through 1st grade. But as they moved up in grades, we realized the quality of academics was subpar to a lot of the private schools and no better than the public schools in the vicinity. According to our family’s experience, most of the families who leave either have doubts about the level of academics or after having a disagreement with the director, who has a reputation for being hostile and unyielding to parents concerns. We think families of potential students need to know these facts in order to make an informed decision before enrolling. Also, we’ve noticed quite of high number of families supplementing with outside tutoring and math/science classes, though this may just be the culture of Palo Alto. We wouldn’t take those early years of enrollment away for the world, but the school’s idea of academic excellence does not sync with ours.

I am a teacher at Living Wisdom School. I have taught at various schools in the Bay Area over the many years that I have been teaching, and none can compare to LWS. The curriculum is innovative and challenging, but, more important, the children, their families and the staff are happy. There is a strong sense of community at LWS. The children learn to respect themselves and their schoolmates. They learn to resolve conflicts honestly and with kindness. They are encouraged to learn to their highest potential, and the class numbers are small enough to ensure instruction that meets each child's individual needs. I wish I had known about LWS when my own children were in school. There is so much laughter and so much joy! It is a such a pleasure to come to school every day, to be met with smiles and laughter from my colleagues and my students. I am very fortunate to work here. I encourage everyone to visit the Living Wisdom School website, and to be sure to read our School Rules; they say it all!

Last modified Living Wisdom School Of Palo Alto is a Private school that serves grades PK-12