Barron Park Elementary School

Public | K-5 | 340 students

Our school is recognized for its inclusive model, small and diverse population.

Posted December 11, 2013

We moved to Barron Park from the UK and have been very pleased with the school ethos, welcome and academic approach. The parent community is very supportive of the Principal and everyone is open and warm with newcomers. The classrooms are well managed and focussed on learning - all the kids I've seen are well behaved and quick to befriend our children. There's more paper based learning and homework than our children had in London but I think the academic standards are comparable with high performing London schools. One stand out improvement from the UK is the exemplary extra-curricular activities available on site. We've been very pleased.

Posted October 15, 2013

Barron Park (BP) has afforded my family the best experience in Palo Alto. We moved from a great private school in NY and the transition has been flawless. BP offers a unique diversity experience, and it's what my family refers to as the mini UN. Although the smallest school in the district, over 50 countries are represented at BP, who not only boasts of its diversity, but celebrates it as a learning experience. My 1st and 3rd graders have grown; they are more empathetic to children with disabilities; express themselves better through writing; confident in confronting math problems; developing a heightened interest in science and technology and a passion for coding and programing at their level; they're creating livelong friendships; and so much more. We're grateful for the warm and welcoming school community where new and old families feel at home. With principal Magdalena at the helm, who is doing a super job, while enabling her team and students to aim for excellence, to a supportive staff that ensures that each child has an opportunity to flourish and a school that is aligned with the district s curriculum, Barron Park Elementary School is one of the best schools in Palo Alto.

Posted October 14, 2013

While we're only a little over a year into this, with a son now in 1st grade, I give Barron Park elementary an A+. Our son has thrived. He's a bright but extremely high energy kid who needs fairly close attention, and so far the staff has answered the call. Our son's kindergarten teacher was amazing, with conflict resolution skills arguably worthy of a Nobel Peace Prize. I will always cherish the memories of the sing-a-longs he led on guitar that welcomed each new day. From our exposure thus far to our son's first-grade teacher, and our communications with other parents, it's clear that Barron Park sets a high bar for teaching quality. And we've been impressed by Principal Magdalena, who every morning greets each child by name at the school entrance, enhancing the smiles and laughter that make elementary school so precious. Oh, and as a pediatrician and clinical researcher who looks at data all the time, it was very clear to me that the slightly lower API scores were a non-issue, nothing more than a reflection of the diversity that makes the school so wonderful.

Posted October 13, 2013

When I was first evaluating elementary schools, I found that it was really tough. There is only a limited amount of information that was available on the internet; the information seemed heavily weighted to test scores. We were zoned for Barron Park and I have to admit I was a bit worried based on the lower than average scores (for Palo Alto). In the end I couldn't have been happier for my kids to be educated at Barron Park. This is our fifth year at the school and have been blessed with wonderful teachers and being part of the smallest elementary school in Palo Alto (less than 350 kids). Also I learned that when I aggregated the test scores by demographic, Barron kids score similarly to other Palo Alto schools. Regardless of test scores, we have enjoyed being here and being part of a change in the school. Barron now offers many wonderful programs unique to Palo Alto: full-day kindergarten, spanish language in K, 1 &2, a technology specialist, super noon programs for all kids, a range of afterschool programs, and a very diverse population with students from around the world. We LOVE Barron and feel lucky to be part of this special school community.

Posted October 13, 2013

Barron Park is the hidden gem of Palo Alto. Parents who stay away because of the API scores are foolish because the quality and dedication of our teachers is unparalleled even within PAUSD. Plus, as one of the most culturally and economically diverse schools in the district, Barron Park is teaching my children about more than academics but about the importance of acceptance and appreciation for all people. Barron Park is a very special place with an amazing community of teachers and parents that comes together to solve problems and think about creative new ways to make our school continuously more fantastic both academically and socially. With our new programs our students are effectively learning with technology, getting even more hands on science, and even pioneering ways to have every student learn Spanish. My family is so lucky to be part of this community!

Posted October 12, 2013

I agree with the parent who wrote about the API scores being the only strike against the school. It's really not fair that such an excellent school has gotten a bad-rap because of a 3-digit number, and also that the retired principal's shadow is still hanging on and damaging how people on the outside of the school perceive the school. New parents to the neighborhood or PAUSD should give this school a chance, come and visit, see for yourself what a gem it is. The teachers and staff are excellent, and I'm very confident that my children are receiving the same high-quality education as any other PAUSD elementary school would give. My children will be well-prepared in all aspects of academics and social-skills when they move onto middle school. They will have received a well-rounded education that teaches to the whole child, not just to the test. And they will have made good friends along the way. My kids even pop in to visit their old teachers classrooms and talk about what they remember and what they liked best in those years.

Posted October 12, 2013

I love this school and my kids are so happy here. Some reviews here are old and about the old principal, and that principal was of the mind-set of "nothing new, no improvements, if it ain't broke" and that really hurt the school, but she's gone now and the school has done a complete 180-degree turn around. The new principal and a very motivated parent-body have brought so many great changes to the school! I can't list them all here!... The JR Museum teaches science units in each class, the K-2 grades have a partial Spanish program, and BP is the only school in PAUSD with full-day kindergarten. The new face and image of the school are great - there are noon activities such as art and zumba and MIT scratch. It's a smaller school too with only 340+ kids so the personal attention they receive is greater. Some PAUSD schools are 550-600. And for those non-BP parent who are afraid of low test scores and bullies? Please, you don't think that a school of 550 kids doesn't have any bad apples. The low API scores is the only thing that BP has against it - and that's not a fair evaluation of an entire school that truly is a special place....I'd rather have my kids go here than anywhere else.

Posted October 11, 2013

Having moved from Missouri, we came to Palo Alto/ Barron Park in Jan 2013. I must be honest, BP was not my 1st choice for PA schools, but we were able to get all 3 kids at the same school, which was important to us. Our kids came from private schools, so our expectations were very high. However, we were beyond shock when my older 2 children were nearly 2 semesters behind in math, and behind in reading and writing as well. The amazing part of this story is how the teachers bent over backwards to bring my children up to speed. I didn't have to lead this effort, they did!!! They are used to it. Barron Park has a very diverse population. At 5th grade graduation, there were 55 countries represented! Many non-english-speaking, explaining the low test scores that I was so fearful of. But what a great experience for my kids!! My kids loved the campus and the activites at recess: Taewkwondo, Art, Zumba, chorus, Scratch Club... There are field trips about once a month for each class, and prof. chefs that came to the school to teach about food and to let them taste fun healthy snacks. The PTA & principal (3 yrs) are amazing - in time Barron Park will be at the top of the list.

Posted October 10, 2013

Barron Park School is PAUSD's best kept secret. I think I may regret posting this because then many people will know about this hidden gem in Palo Alto. This is the smallest school in the district, the Principal knows every child by name. The intimate feeling and strong sense of community is amazing. I have 3 children at this school and they all love and cherish their school. My kids have have learned to be great people and loving citizens. I have kids that are all academically strong and the school has done a great job offering them more material to challenge them at their level. Our family is so proud to call Barron Park our school.

Posted October 10, 2013

Barron Park School is the best kept secret of the district. The teachers are individually phenomenal and collectively life changing. Children thrive in this sweet rustic school where unity and community remain a top priority. Our Principal leads with an open heart that inspires parents to take ownership. My boys are almost ready to move on to middle school, they are academically ready, and have grown into confident and compassionate young men, due in no small part to this amazing school.

Posted October 10, 2013

We were originally overflowed to Barron Park. We weren't sure what to expect but now we are there we LOVE it! We passed up a place at our neighborhood school and have elected to stay at Barron Park. It is a small school with a big heart. The teachers and other staff are so friendly and welcoming and there is a genuine community feeling on campus. There are children from many different parts of the world (and different walks of life) here and they all come together to provide an educational experience that goes above and beyond a score on a test. That being said my children's scores on their tests are great too thanks to their dedicated teachers. If you are considering joining us at Barron Park come along and have a look - you will be sold and enrolled very quickly I'm sure!!

Posted October 10, 2013

Barron Park is a wonderful school. My family has been in Barron Park school for ten years and I have no complains at all. It's a small school but that's a god thing we feel like we know everyone. Teachers are great! The inclusion program is great, my children have learned so much and have become better people and understand in this world it's ok to be different. We LOVE Barron Park Elementary School!

Posted October 10, 2013

This is Palo Alto's best kept secret! Our school has the best and most dedicated and devoted staff of teachers and administrators, a vibrant parent community and an incredibly diverse student population. Its small size is such a benefit. Teachers get to know the kids well and can really differentiate their teaching. They are wonderful role models and demonstrate leadership and kindness every day. Many students come from different countries exposing our kids to rich cultures and teaching us about inclusion, and our global community. We have advanced technology curriculum and other great programs supported by the staff and parents!

Posted October 10, 2013

There are many reasons to be enthusastic about Barron Park: - As the smallest of the Palo Alto elementary schools, the sense of community at Barron Park is especially tangible. - As a recent transplant to the neighborhood (from an extremely high-performing school in the great Boston area), it has been very easy to get to know the school, it's routines, and to feel involved through the numerous community and cultural events the school sponsors. - The school has a diverse student body, and takes it's culture of inclusion - led by an engaged principal and teacher corps - very seriously. - Having had two children experience three teachers so far, I have been incredibly pleased by the quality of the teachers, their ability to adapt to the needs of their student body, and their ability to foster a desire for learning in their kids. Overall, I couldn't be happier that my kids ended up here.

Posted February 12, 2013

The school follows a great PAUSD curriculum. It is very diverse, not only culturally, but socio economically as well. My son and daughter are excelling at Barron Park. They are being challenged academically, and are flourishing socially as well. The teachers play a major role in my family's love for the school. They genuinely care about the children, and the success of the school. I will be sadden when they move on to middle school. We originally moved into the area because of Gunn high school, and came to fall in love with Barron Park. Hoping that we will love Gunn just as much.

Posted January 7, 2012

Barron Park is a wonderful school. The teachers are awesome! The staff is amazing! The community is outstanding! My children are better students, citizens and human beings because of Barron Park Elementary. It is the best school in the world and I am grateful and psyched to "bee" a part of it!

Posted October 26, 2011

This school is the best school in Palo Alto! We live next to two of the 'best' elementary schools in PA, but drive to the other side of the district so that our two girls can go there. My wife and I work in the School of Ed at Stanford and chose this school! The outstanding teachers and the sense of community at this school means Stanford places more student teachers at this school than any other in Palo Alto. We have a new principal and this school is going places. For obvious reasons, I am so pleased that the parent that only gave one star has gone elsewhere! Our children are happy to go to school every day and come home full of exciting stories about their new learning. This is a true community of kids, parents and teachers.

Posted October 25, 2011

Both of my children currently attend Barron park. My older child is almost done. I have never seen such talented and devoted teachers and staff. They somehow manage to teach to the level of each individual student. My daughter's STAR testing is better than the average at Hoover. There are a number of unique things to barron park 1) constellation groups 2) the diversity 3) smaller school=more community involvement I have not seen the bullying described below and am sad to see that someone has had this experience. I love Barron park!

Posted May 14, 2011

This is a wonderful school for many students. The principal has made it her personal mission to serve the needs of Title I families, special-needs students, English-Language Learners, and students with learning differences. Barron Park is innovative with its College Bound program. The Principal championed 'Everyday Math', which was implemented district-wide in 2009. Starting in 2011-2012, Barron Park will be the first school in the PAUSD to offer a full-day Kindergarten program.

Posted February 27, 2011

My daughter attended this school for two years, the first year seemed to be fine, but the second year, we found that it was a big hole in her writing skill. The teacher didn't teach her cursive writing as well as not enough standard writing. When she switched to her neighbor school. She was the only student, who didn't know how to write cursive well. Bottom line is this school is kicked back, and academy level is so so. My daughter is very happy with her current school compared to this. And it took her about half school year to catch up the language art level with her friends.

This school's

(2012)

8 / 10

5 / 10

API Growth scores over time

Did this school meet the API goal this year?
  • This school met the state goal of 800.

API Growth scores by subgroup

Did this school meet all the API goals for student subgroups this year?
  • This school did not meet all student subgroup API targets for 2013

Change from 2012 to 2013
API Statewide Rank
(2012)

8 / 10

API Statewide Rank (2012)

5 / 10

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 56% in 2013.

41 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

41 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 46% in 2013.

83 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 66% in 2013.

83 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 65% in 2013.

67 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 72% in 2013.

69 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 60% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 57% in 2013.

All Students61%

This school District averageState average
First-year teachers 0%N/AN/A
Source: Civil Rights Data Collection, 2011-2012

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
Computer specialist(s)
Robotics/Technology specialist(s)
School psychologist
School social worker/counselors(s)
Special education coordinator
Speech and language therapist(s)
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Tutor(s)
Foreign languages spoken by school staff Tagalog
Spanish
Italian
Chinese (Mandarin)
American sign language
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Special education / special needs

• Visual impairments
  • Differentiated learning programs
  • Special education coordinator
  • Speech and language therapist(s)

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Science

• Arts (all)
  • Performing arts
  • Art teacher(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
  • Art room

• PE instructor(s)
  • School psychologist
  • Access to sports fields
  • Garden/Greenhouse
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Gardening
  • Martial arts (judo, tae kwon do, karate, etc)

Gifted & talented

Instructional and/or curriculum models used
  • Gifted / high performing
  • Acceleration

School start time
  • 8:15 am
School end time
  • 2:45 pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school: starts at 7:30 a.m.
  • Magdalena Fittoria
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
  • Coed
Is there an application process?
Fax number

• Math specialist(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • Nurse(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
  • Reading specialist(s)
  • Robotics/Technology specialist(s)
  • School psychologist
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
  • Special education coordinator
  • Remediation
  • Tutoring
Transportation options
  • School Car Pool
  • School shares bus/van with other schools
  • Access to sports fields
  • Art room
  • Audiovisual aids
  • College/career center
  • Computer lab
  • Internet access
  • Learning lab
  • Library
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Music room
  • Performance stage
  • Playground
Partnerships with local resources and organizations
  • Acknowledge Alliance

Media arts
  • Computer animation
  • Video / Film production

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Arts and crafts
  • Chess club
  • Dance club: Zumba
  • Gardening
  • Martial arts (judo, tae kwon do, karate, etc)
  • Recycling club
  • Robotics club
  • Student council/government
  • Technology club

Photos

School culture

Dress Code
  • Neither uniforms nor dress code
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Coach sports teams or extracurricular activities
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Organize cultural events
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Present special topics during curricular units
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Volunteer in the classroom
  • Volunteer time after school

Visit

Elementary school

How to apply

Does this school have an application or enrollment process?

Planning Ahead

Students typically attend these schools after graduating
Terman Middle School