Palo Alto, CA
Students enrolled: 1,012

David Starr Jordan Middle School 1

Posted May 26, 2015
The homework center system is terrible. My child has been kicked out for no reason and banned from homework center for accidently speaking out loud.

Posted May 09, 2015
Best elective offerings in the State. Gives my children a chance to experience actual life learning like cooking and real industrial arts! Things that most districts dropped to replace with computers. Kids actually apply the knowledge taught in academics. Take advantage of the specialized electives. Kids can take their foreign language and fine arts in high school where it counts for college. Your children will never get this opportunity again.

Posted February 03, 2015
Great school. The school has improved a lot over the past five years, in part due to the new principal. It provides a high quality education, very interactive and interesting projects and assignments. Strong school spirit. I went to one of the best private schools in Massachusetts and generally think Jordan is better all around.
2 people found this helpful

Posted December 10, 2013
Our school is AWESOME.I go to Jordan Middle School and this school is AMAZING.Look nowhere else peoples.All other schools are complete CRA$.There are some bad kids who hang out in groups, but overall the way not to get involved in them is to STAY AWAY.I mean there was this one kid who picked a fight with one of them and he got knocked to the ground.But again overall your always gonna have a few bad peanuts in a bunch right?We have intermural sports you can participate in like volleyball. Our sports are amazing.Last year our Jordan Boy's Volleyball Team went to win every game and to win the CHAMPIONSHIPS.I was with them as a setter.Some teachers will think that you will act along the lines of the way you look so what you need to is PROVE THEM WRONG.Get good grades and you wont have a problem.Most of the teachers are GREAT, but some...meh.Are school number are growing each year and this year I believe we're at around 1,100 something.That's how good are school is.We filter into Palo Alto High School[Gunn goes unsaid]which is # 161 out of 2000 schools around here in academics.Words of Advice:1) get good teachers2) take time choosing your electives3) have fun WE ARE THE JORDAN JAGUARS
2 people found this helpful

Posted May 24, 2013
To paraphrase Anne Lamott, "Every good and decent person I know was miserable in junior high." Not at Jordan. The community works hard to support each child, to find and celebrate strength in diversity. The teachers range from pretty good to phenomenal. My two children had a fine experience, and the school administration and teachers have been increasingly communicative and responsive in recent years.

David Starr Jordan Middle School 4

Posted November 01, 2012
Student experiences at this school are very mixed, as one very experienced 5th grade teacher told me at our local PA elementary. 50% love it and do really well and the other 50% do less well. My son came here and hated it, he left after the first year as the large somewhat souless environment left him cold, there were random acts of bullying particularly amongst the boys and he felt the school was just 'mean'. My daughter has come here this year and loves it. She has fantastic teachers, a lovely group of friends and the Jaguar Pathway they have just started really helps make the 6th graders feel welcome. So in my experience as a parent it is the luck of the draw at this school, some lovely kids, great teachers and sports opportunities so just cross your fingers and hope for the best!

David Starr Jordan Middle School 2

Posted October 01, 2012
I'm also a student at Jordan. The problem is everything is so sports oriented. I don't really prefer sports, I mean I like doing them but not everyday afterschool. Because of that, coupled with the fact that I do ballet, gets me teased about my interest in the arts and it took a bunch of seating changes and one breakdown for this problem to be less blatantly obvious. There are many wonderful programs at Jordan to prevent bullying but unfortunately, while teachers and school staff are able to make changes in school enviroment, bullies are just as capable as changing tactics. My friends in drama are complaining that there isn't enough funding, and the choir is stuck in a room behind the cafeteria and they are sometimes mocked. While academics are really amazing, its everything else, like the 14 pound each textbooks we have to carry home at the beginning of the year and if you don't do sports, you're a loser that is really awful

Posted September 24, 2012
i am a student at Jordan Middle School, and if you actually have tried all middle schools in Palo Alto, our school has the most spirit, no questions about that. We have the most mixed cultural middle school. The homework are never "busy" work, the teachers are very reasonable, the councilers and princibles are so warm and welcoming! I just love this school!

Posted March 11, 2012
I am a student at Jordan Middle School, and compared to other junior high schools, this is probably one of the best. Almost all of the teachers are caring and are great at teaching. They all seem to enjoy their job. Also, during many classes we have the chance to use numerous textbooks, computers, and iPads. The school seems to lack nothing. The newest principal has great leadership qualities and he really gets involved with the students. The only problem is that the students are under a huge amount of pressure to succeed, with Jordan being one of the richest and best middle schools in the country.

David Starr Jordan Middle School 2

Posted March 06, 2010
There are only a few good teachers. Families and Administration want to be positive so no one challenges the poor teaching. I love the community, but regret that I sent my children to the PA schools. Also the school facilities and classrooms are very run down. Many family don't care abou the appearance, but I think it is a reflection of the lack of respect and willingness to have a top tier education environment for the children. Maybe they just do not know what a modern school should look like and they accept things as they are. The district needs more families to challenge the status quo!!!

David Starr Jordan Middle School
750 North California Avenue, Palo Alto, CA  94303
Last modified David Starr Jordan Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
David Starr Jordan Middle School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 28 reviews. Top