Palo Alto, CA
After care: No

Castilleja School 1

Posted April 17, 2015
Most teachers at Castilleja know their subject areas, but many don't know how to teach it, adapting their instruction to the students' different learning styles. Another issue that is not recognized is the bullying going on, especially in middle school. The MS head must address this instead of looking the other way. Students must be held accountable for their actions, and I did not see this happening while my daughter attended Castilleja.

Posted March 26, 2015
As a six grader I think that this is a great school. I love everything about it. The curiculum is so great and it such a welcoming experience. Maybe you have seen some bad comments but I truly promise you everybody is welcome and safe. Im not a perfect person and I'm not exactly popular either but I've had the best times of my life.

Castilleja School 1

Posted March 17, 2015
I am an alum, and the person who reviewed Castilleja saying she was bullied is not the only one. Bullying is a huge problem in this school, and Castilleja barely does anything to address it. If you're not rich, White, and popular, Castilleja will be a difficult environment for you. It was truly traumatizing for me.

Posted March 06, 2014
My 6th grade daughter has found the perfect school for her. It may seem too good to be true at the Open House, etc, but it REALLY IS, that amazing. Other class parents I have spoken with have a similar opinion. We cannot believe how the school has the girls excited to learn and actively participate on a daily basis. All of the teachers, students and parents have all been extremely supportive and genuine. Our commute to school is not easy, but every morning, my daughter has easily woken up to get ready for school (this was not the case last year). If you are considering Castilleja, you will not be disappointed.

Posted January 21, 2014
Great school! The best school I could find for my daughters in the Bay Area.

Posted August 28, 2013
My daughter graduated a few years ago and she had such a great experience at Castilleja. She now attends one of the best colleges and she feels her classes there are easy compared to what she did in high school. Her Castilleja classmates at other colleges feel the same way. Through her time in middle and high school, I was continually impressed with the quality of the teaching as well as the amazing opportunities outside the classroom from clubs and sports to the global investigator trip. I have sons at other schools in the area and from what I've seen at their schools, the girls at Castilleja are much more likely to pursue math and science than girls at my sons' schools. When they take honors and AP classes in math and science, there are very few girls, which is obviously not the case at Castilleja where the advance math and science classes are vey popular. My daughter gained so much from Castilleja we are truly grateful for the education she got there.

Castilleja School 3

Posted May 26, 2013
I was a shadow student that applied to Casti last year. I felt that there was little diversity in the school concerning race. However, the teachers seemed phenomenal and their facility was top noch.

Posted May 23, 2013
Just another viewpoint about this great school. We love Castilleja and our daughter is excelling there. She does not have a private tutor since her teachers are very supportive and accessible. The class sizes are small so her questions are always addressed. The academics are enriched by many resources outside the classroom, including a local and global outreach/internship program called ACE, a design and engineering lab with state-of-the-art hands-on tools, and a very creative team of teachers who collaborate to bring project-based and interdisciplinary learning into their classes. If you see school as just a straight highway to university, then perhaps Castilleja is not the place for your daughter. If you want a place where she can learn in a dynamic, supportive, and challenging community of passionate learners, then I suggest you consider this wonderful school.

Castilleja School 3

Posted April 03, 2013
We are parents of a middle schooler who are pulling their daughter out to enroll in the local high school. Our reasons may not be yours. If you look carefully past the razzle dazzle, you will find an average school where parent are encouraged to hire tutors to make up for the uneven teacher quality. Most girls have them. This after spending close to $40K on tuition per year. At the end of which less than 9% make it to the Ivy's and fewer to the UC's. If your goal is to get your daughter to Vanderbilt or Pomona - welcome! So much so for the academic rigor. We saw a constant influx and departure of teachers and any criticism of the program was either actively discouraged or not listened to. For us the maths did not work out - $40K/ year + $5-10K in tuition on a 14 year old who has a less than 1 in 10 chance of getting to the Ivies/UC's was not what we were prepared to do. Do your own research and come to your own conclusions.

Posted March 05, 2013
My older daughter is in the Castilleja middle school. The leadership in the middle school is outstanding. The middle school principal seems universally liked and admired by both the students and parents. The academic program is rigorous. There is a lot of homework, but it is rare to see something that is just "busywork". The school pushes the girls to achieve more and faster. The teachers and administration listen to the girls when they express a desire to try something out, to do more, or something different (e.g. my 8th grader is working on Geometry - her choice). They also do a good job of resisting pushy parents - the impetus for acceleration or more rigor has to come from the student. My 8th grader is thriving, and loving it.

Castilleja School