Paramount High School

Public | 9-12 | 5015 students

Posted July 30, 2014

This school is great I've been going there over the summer and looks great! They have new building such as the field house where they have class rooms, trophy hall, equipment room, locker rooms, band room, wrestling room, and a weight room! They also have the new C.T.E. building where they have the medical class room the technology room and it think the engineering class rooms. This school is great many people underestimate it but when they go in they see great things!

Posted April 17, 2014

My school has a great team of sports enthusiasts, consisting of students, teachers, coaches, and parents. The comraderie is infectious and has had the greatest impact on the performance of all involved. I think everyone should know about Paramount High School sports program and the outstanding job the coaches do of leading the teams of athletes. The School's campus track is virtually new and an excellent venue for track meets and other sports. The teams work together to keep the campus unblemished. The sports program has inspired the youth in their development to strive for better and to remember sportmanship. Improvement would be to encourage more youth to join the sports program at the school, which enhances development overall.

Posted August 22, 2013

School Stadium, gymnasiums was recently upgraded, looks like a College Stadium..Most improved school as far as I'm concerned..The next thing they need to upgrade is their cafeteria food. My daughter says the tacos and salads have no taste and are dried up a does not look fresh. That would be the next thing to upgrade. Menu and cafeteria. My daughter is a Freshman so I'm not sure what the quality of teachers or principals involvement is yet...but she has been in summer school and the tutoring was very good.. so far so good.

Posted July 22, 2013

PHS has been in my family since 1977-81 when my brother attended, then I attended in 1987-91, my daughter is a graduate of 2008-12 etc... I still have children that will be attending soon. So to sum up this is a good school and would recommend to anyone. There aren't many highly rated schools, People check out the ratings, the teachers here really care for the most part, of course there is always that few teachers that might have less inititave than others , but that is anywhere you go. The people that made a bad comment are the one's that probably didn't do well and really didn't care no matter what school they attended or for the parents they weren't going to get involved anyway. So the storyline here it's great and it's getting better as the years pass. Kudos to PHS! Once a Pirate always a Pirate!!!!!

Posted June 14, 2013

Great school. Constantly evolving. Every AP and honors class possible available. Great campus improvement. Solid athletic program and facilities.

Posted August 12, 2012

PHS is the largest high school in the state of California. We have many challenges to face, and we face them head on. I am a teacher there, and this will be my 23rd year teaching on this campus, and I can truly say that each year shows improvement. As a teacher, i care about my students, and they KNOW it, and they want the best for themselves and their future, so they respond to that caring in positive ways. We have THREE "CTE" (career technical education) pathways: health, media design, and engineering in which students can get real-world training for certain careers. We have a thriving JROTC which involves about 300 students. Our sports teams have great facilities to work in and we've had great success in soccer (state champs), track and field, tennis, volleyball, baseball, and ...football is on the upswing. Come visit and see for yourself!
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted October 9, 2011

after reading some of the comments, i think they are most likely high school drop outs or students that went to phs and failed and blaming others for their irresponsibilities Im from class of 2011. Phs was a great school. gave us the opportunities we needed. supportive teachers. more encouragement to move on and go to a college or university. class of 2011 had one of the largest graduating numbers. more paramount students are going to college. the new construction is going on to have more resources for students. new library new locker rooms new stadium. our soccer boys went CIF two years back to back. this is really a great school.

Posted October 4, 2011

Horrible school the staff is rude. The teachers don't care about the students. The counselors are useless. I left half way 10th grade year to a charter school, best decision I ever made. I'm in college now chasing my dreams.

Posted June 14, 2009

I am an alumni c/o 2005. I would definitely have to agree with the staff being rude and some counselors being useless. I personally had a conflict with Mrs. Garcia('counselor') whom completely discouraged me to attend a community college, (while still in high school) to get ahead during a summer. I asked her how I should go about it and her reply was, 'why would you want to do that.' Anyways, aside from the mediocre counselor and chola infested staff I would say we do have some excellent teachers there. Students would benefit from the honors and AP classes especially with teachers like Ms. Himel, Mr. Auria, Mrs. Barboza & Mr. Teeples. I graduated with honors at PHS in 2005 and left with a full paid scholarship. Recently I earned my BA in Psychology in 2009 so I guess it is fair to say PHS did not thwart my academic success!

Posted December 1, 2008

There is nothing wrong with Paramount High school. They are always trying to encourage involvement and due to outside dangers they have to be prepared. Teachers and staff are fully prepared for extreme situations. This does not make them mean they can be really cool if you get to know them. Something I enjoyed from Paramount High was the diversity and flexibility. There was no separation of groups. Dances, games, assembly meetings and elections are always made in the safest and entertaining way as possible. About parents involvement, they do not get involved either because they lack communication with their children or because they have no interest, which most like to call it 'lack of time'. A great example is Mariachi Night. this is held once a year and it is a Family Night. I enjoyed PHS and I am proud to say that once a Pirate always a Pirate!!

Posted October 30, 2008

If your child is 'gifted' and would excel in Honors and AP programs, this school is not so bad. The Honors teachers are amazing and they definitely prepared me for college (aka Ms. Barboza, Ms. Himel, Mr. Carlin etcetc). However, if your child is doing average, or below average, they very well might graduate unprepared for college and not motivated enough to go. The Honors/non Honors kids are ridiculously segregated in a way that I think sets a precedent between the can dos and the ones Paramount has given up on. There are a bunch extracurriculars, but the same kids take advantage of them. I would not recommend this school. I would say try your best to get out of this district, truthfully.

Posted August 21, 2008

My twin daughters did great last year as freshmans. They were involved in many afterschool clubs. I met everyone of their teachers and got to talk about how they are doing in their classes and what we can do to help them. The school helped us get involved in Upward bound. They spent 5 weeks during the summer taking classes and 3 of those weeks living at the dorm at U.C Irvine. Now the girls are a semester ahead in 3 classes and recieved 15 credits toward graduation. And all for free ! The program was awesome and the girls are excited about going to college. The staff is great . If you as a parent get involved and ask for help they are willing to help. But YOU have to put in the effort. The kids have to care too. School isn't a daycare and teachers aren't babysitters.

Posted October 18, 2007

Well i am a student attending this school. I am in my schools Leadership.We set up the dances all the events that go on in the school and try to get the students involed. I say this school does have great teachers and a very good learning enviroment. The problem is not them nor the school it is the students. The only reason i moved up in AP classes and Honors is because i wanted to get away from the students that will interupt your education.

Posted October 18, 2007

I also attended the back to school night at the West Campus and was upset that the teachers informed parents, how easy it is to contact them through e-mail. Well, I've been trying ever since and I have not heard from the teachers. I agree with the rest of the parents ..

Posted September 24, 2007

I recently attended the back to school night at the West Campus and I was really surprise by the low involvement of the parents.

Posted September 23, 2007

I would not recommend this school. It is a very hostile enviroment. The staff in the school are very rude and the counseling office is always full with students.

Posted December 17, 2006

Mr. Edwards was my favorite teacher, and so was Mr. Wolfsberger, but that's about as a good memory of Paramount as I have. I would not recommend this school.
—Submitted by a former student

Posted October 27, 2005

I went to school there.. .Ms. Ferrer was a cool teacher. She was my favorite while I was going there.
—Submitted by a former student

Posted August 15, 2005

I currently have a student attending Paramount High School and just recently had one graduate. While this school is improving it still lacks a solid curriculum. The parent involvement is improving although it is still fairly low. While this school does not excell in most sports it does offer plenty to participate in.

Posted August 26, 2003

I have one student who graduated in 1994 and one that is about to start there next month. It will be interesting to see what changes have occurred in 10 years. A school can only do so much and needs parental involvement and interest for students to succeed and for scores to improve. My graduate did fine and went on to higher education.

This school's

(2012)

4 / 10

9 / 10

API Growth scores over time

Did this school meet the API goal this year?
  • This school met its schoolwide API target for 2013.
  • This school has not yet met the state goal of 800.

API Growth scores by subgroup

Did this school meet all the API goals for student subgroups this year?
  • This school met all student subgroup API targets for 2013

Change from 2012 to 2013
API Statewide Rank
(2012)

4 / 10

API Statewide Rank (2012)

9 / 10

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 25% in 2013.

680 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 65% in 2013.

Biology/Life Sciences

The state average for Biology/Life Sciences was 58% in 2013.

538 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Earth Science

The state average for Earth Science was 38% in 2013.

721 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 62% in 2013.

1205 students were tested at this school in 2013.

2010

General Mathematics (Grades 6 & 7 Standards)

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 45% in 2013.

516 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Integrated/Coordinated Science I

The state average for Integrated/Coordinated Science I was 26% in 2013.

Physics

The state average for Physics was 38% in 2013.

World History

The state average for World History was 51% in 2013.

213 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 13% in 2013.

235 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 39% in 2013.

330 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology/Life Sciences

The state average for Biology/Life Sciences was 41% in 2013.

780 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Chemistry

The state average for Chemistry was 46% in 2013.

394 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Earth Science

The state average for Earth Science was 35% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 52% in 2013.

1173 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 15% in 2013.

397 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 54% in 2013.

1162 students were tested at this school in 2013.

World History

The state average for World History was 46% in 2013.

1112 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 10% in 2013.

33 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 15% in 2013.

318 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology/Life Sciences

The state average for Biology/Life Sciences was 51% in 2013.

60 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Chemistry

The state average for Chemistry was 32% in 2013.

640 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Earth Science

The state average for Earth Science was 37% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 48% in 2013.

1055 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 8% in 2013.

345 students were tested at this school in 2013.

High School (Summative) Mathematics (Grade 9-11)

231 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Physics

The state average for Physics was 58% in 2013.

266 students were tested at this school in 2013.

U.S. History

The state average for U.S. History was 50% in 2013.

1106 students were tested at this school in 2013.

World History

The state average for World History was 19% in 2013.

16 students were tested at this school in 2013.

All Students59%

Parent education - high school graduate64%
Parent education - some college (includes AA degree)67%
Parent education - college graduate54%
Parent education - declined to state68%

General Mathematics (Grades 6 & 7 Standards)

All Students56%

Hispanic or Latino0%
Economically disadvantaged0%
Students with no reported disability0%

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 83% in 2013.

1229 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 84% in 2013.

1229 students were tested at this school in 2013.

All Students79%

This school District averageState average
First-year teachers 5%N/AN/A
Source: Civil Rights Data Collection, 2011-2012

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Instructional aide(s)/coach(es)
Foreign languages spoken by school staff Spanish
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• Instructional aide(s)/coach(es)
Foreign languages spoken by staff
  • Spanish
Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)
  • Computer lab

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

14429 South Downey Avenue