No rating

Pasadena Christian School

Private | K-8 | 338 students

PCS is best known for a rigorous program & arts, music, technology & sports

Living in Pasadena

Situated in an inner city neighborhood. The median home value is $453,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,400.

Posted June 9, 2014

Our two children attended Pasadena Christian School (PCS) from pre-school through 8th grade. PCS provided them with a solid educational foundation which enabled them to be accepted and succeed at the most challenging high schools. PCS provided a safe, loving and caring environment for them to grow up in. They have a great after school program which is a necessity for working parents. PCS also provided many opportunities for our children to experience art, music, computers, being a part of an athletic team, community service and the world outside of PCS through field trips--the 8th graders take an amazing 10 day trip to the East Coast. The school is constantly looking for ways to improve things (curriculum, facilities etc.) and the Parent Teacher Fellowship (ie. PTA) provides fun family events to bring school families together (ie. Fall Festival and Christmas Breakfast). Our children and family have truly been blessed by PCS. We highly recommend it!!!

Posted September 11, 2012

PCS is more than just academic. They focus on growing our child to be a well rounded, kind-hearted, and thoughtful person that will benefit the world around him with his character. They are Christ-centered in such a way that teaches our son how to incorporate God's grace, love, and discipline in the real world. I know that my child will experience the myriad of challenges that come naturally in childhood, but I am glad that PCS provides a nurturing and safe environment for him to thrive and learn. I know life long friendships are being formed. Not only between the children, but with the wonderful parents as well. PCS is not perfect (they will even tell you that), but they are always striving to do better and are serious about making a lasting investment in our son. The admin staff are kind, understanding and available. The teachers are caring and the ratios very low. The music, PE, Art, and instrumental music programs are stellar. Our son loves going to school every day!

Posted March 30, 2012

Like most parents, we toured all the best local schools in search of finding the right fit. Despite all the great choices to select from, Pasadena Christian School (PCS) always remained top of mind not just because of the outstanding academic programs offered, but because of the way they made us feel. PCS was the first to respond with an invitation to attend the preschool. It s been three years since we officially joined the PCS family and we couldn t be happier. Our daughter continues to grow and thrive in this special environment which compliments and supports our faith. We continue to be impressed by how much she's learned. Our teachers are skilled at using unconventional means to teach. There are lessons to be learned in the garden, on stage and even from repurposed card board boxes. This approach to teaching has worked for our daughter. We appreciate that our daughter is not just a number on the student roster. Many of the teachers know her by name, even our principles. Every morning, our daughter is greeted with a smile. Every morning reminds us of their promise to partner with us, and help her fulfill her unique plan and purpose. We've chosen wisely.

Posted February 14, 2012

I found Pasadena Christian (PCS) to be a blessing to my family. We had come from a small town and were so concerned about our childrens safety and well-being but PCS put our fears to rest. My children are well-rounded individuals with wonderful memories of friends, teachers and activities.

Posted February 13, 2012

Nine years has gone by so fast. We started at Pasadena Christian School with a little girl and finished with a Beautiful young woman! The faculty and staff at PCS had a big part in that! Our time at PCS has been truly blessed. The Whan's Pete , Lisa and Elizabeth Class of 2011

Posted February 10, 2012

As parents of children with different talents, our family searched for a school that not only reinforced the Christian morals and values that we instilled but offered a challenging and differentiated academic environment. After educating our family at Pasadena Christian School for more than twelve years, we discovered that our expectations were not only met but exceeded! Pasadena Christian School offers a reasonable priced Christ-centered program with high academic standards that encouraged our children to excel in music, art, public speaking, athletics, technology and foreign language. Following our children s middle school graduations, they were equipped to attend the best college preparatory high schools in our area.

Posted February 9, 2012

I am an alumni that graduated in 1999. All four of my siblings were fortunate enough to attend PCS. The fundamentals I learned in Math, Science, English, IT (Computers), and most importantly... how to build relationships that last a lifetime greatly benefitted me throughout High School, College, Graduate School, and my professional career. I met one of my best friend s in 2nd grade in Mrs. Gallego s class. We still are in constant contact and he will be the best man at my wedding. When you are choosing a school, I know academics are important (and they are at PCS), but what your child will learn at PCS is how to develop relationships. This is a skill that will always have a lasting impact on their lives.

Posted February 7, 2012

PCS has provided a higher quality education than our local public K-8 school would have been able to offer, plus specific teachers for art, music (instrumental and choral), PE, computer, library, public speaking, Spanish, student support (emerging needs), etc. I like that our Christian values at home are being reinforced by the teachers and vast majority of our kids' classmates. So far, our kids have loved (not liked, LOVED) every one of their teachers through the years. Our experience has been that the teachers have gone out of their ways to work with our childrens' struggles and our family's circumstances. Periodic surveys of families guide decisions, so the administration's making a priority of listening to parents and making adjustments. Online access to grades, homework & communications makes it easier to keep on top of what's going on at school. Plenty of field trips & special fun days keep our kids excited about showing up at school. Nice variety of melanin, culture, $, interests, talents, etc. among the student body. I believe that PCS has been a great match for our kids.

Posted February 2, 2012

We are very pleased to be a part of PCS. My daughter started the preschool just before she turned 3 and is now in the 1st grade. The preschool offers a good quality program and the staff is very kind and loving toward the children. However, I do wish the pre-k classroom were structured more like a kindergarten class instead of a preschool class. My son is currently enrolled in the preschool and is thriving. There are 3 teachers in the classroom and they are all wonderful. First grade has been such a wonderful and positive experience for my daughter. Her teacher has allowed her to shine in areas where she was unsure of herself in the past. She has also consistently provided a nurturing and caring attitude towards my child whether the situation were positive or negative. The school also offers a terrific music program. Children as young as first grade are allowed to participate and take violin lessons before school. The music teacher is great and genuinely cares about the students. My daughter is doing quite well with her violin lessons. Overall, the school continues to improve in all it has to offer. While there is no perfect school, it is the perfect school for us.

Posted January 12, 2012

Not able to challenge a gifted student. My son is ADHD but off the charts academically and extremely loving not a problem child but had a hard time sitting still. He is in first grade and after several promise that they would work with him and support his gifts they have done nothing but gave him a lowered self image. We are not leaving the school we are running from it. They are not a loving nurturing school.

Posted July 23, 2011

The school buildings are nice and new. Teacher communication is terrible. Teacher did not bother to call to talk about child's sudden drop and change in grades. No communication and no caring. Not all students are treated equally. A good public school would have been much better choice. Very, very disheartening.

Posted February 16, 2010

Our family has been very happy at PCS. To be honest, it was not my first choice, but I am so glad to be here. It is challenging academically but it is a well rounded education with full time computer, PE, music, and art teachers. Their elementary school musicals are AMAZING. I love the fact that there are Christian values being taught but not shoved down your throat as some people think. Their new Jr. High facilities are great. Have loved getting to know the families. Always hard to do, but found it very easy to get to know people by getting involved. The school and classrooms alway need help. Families with graduated children got into all the 'best' High Schools such as Poly, Prep, Loyola, Flintridge S.H. etc. The kids are well prepared. Great value in so many ways. Don't overlook.

Posted July 23, 2009

The Preschool is by far the best I've found in the Pasadena area...the most perfect early learning environment for my boys. I value the developmental curriculum that has instilled a genuine love for learning in my boys. The staff is exceptional and are considered partners in my children's education and development. PCS Preschool is the ideal place for preschoolers wanting to learn about and embrace the world around them. I love the fact that learning is very hands-on and developmentally appropriate. The playgound 'outdoor classroom' further emphasizes how important it is for children to have hands on experiences. As a parent, I have also learned a lot. I love everything about the preschool!

Posted May 6, 2009

Hi. I would say that Pasadena Christian School is a good achedemic school. The word Christian isn't as strong as some parents might wish for here at PCS, but we do have chapel and religion classes, which are perfectly taught. Meet the Masters (art program) drags on, but the PE is amazing. You'd be amazed at the accomplishments at the end of the school year. (like running a mile at per every day.) Mrs. Allen is TERRIFIC at the Choral Workshop. And the plays are outstanding!!! Currently, PCS is building a REALLY nice Jr. High. I'm in the 6th grade, and the new 6th grade teachers are INCREDIBLE! There is a lot of homework, but I just think that it prepares you for JR. High and High School. The major negative is it needs a new field, and the dress code not so strict. like wrong colored socks. other than that...good
—Submitted by a student

Posted January 19, 2009

My child loved the Preschool program..the teachers are very kind... but my child struggled at the beg. of kinder at a public school..the pre-k does not really formally teach any academics...the k prog. does not teach sight words till the end of the year...pricey tuition...there are public schools in pasadena that have a more rigorious curriculum.

Posted November 18, 2008

Love the school. Lots of ways to get involved and meet people. My son love to see me on campus. Challenging academics but friends with HS kids say their children were totally prepared for private HS in the area. Great experience for our family. Looking forward to new Jr. H building.

Posted November 17, 2008

Positives: racial, cultural diversity. Better curriculum than most Christian schools. Emphasis on skills. Faculty/Staff stability. Very organized. My child has learned good study habits at PCS. Negatives: Not enough diversity when it comes to socio-economics. Runs too much like a machine with students having to fit the mold. Individuality, higher level thinking, and creativity not valued or stressed in academics. Not the type of educational emphasis needed in a modern democratic society. PCS may be a little more progressive than the average evangelical school, but is quickly falling behind in preparing students for a future in the 21st century. At PCS, my child is learning to conform rather than to think and creatively solve challenges.

Posted August 13, 2008

Last year we had 4 kids at PCS. 3 at the elementary and one in the Junior High. The principal sets the standard for the school, he is an amazing GODLY man that cares about your child getting a GREAT education and also being shaped into disciples of Jesus Christ. PCS faculty and staff care about the students character as much as their education. You do have to make an effort to get to know other families, but isn't that just life and shouldn't we all go the extra mile to include others. My husband and I are both totally blessed that our children attend PCS!

Posted June 24, 2008

My daughter will be entering the 8th grade in the fall and has been a student since the 1st grade. She is a student of color and I must say one of the things I like is the diversity of the student body. Private schools in Pasadena can be very unbalanced in the area of diversity but PCS is wonderful. The academics are strong and the parental involvement is outstanding. I agree that there are cliques among the parents and it is hard to get to know people, especially if you are a working parent like me. You have to really reach out because they are not going to do it. But the teachers and staff are very welcoming and truly care about the children's academic performance. I would highly recommend this school.

Posted June 18, 2008

pasadena parents form groups .Hard to make friends unless your child starts off in the school or is a sportsman.Not noted for thier kindness to kids that need help emotionally.

Ethnicity This school
Hawaiian Native/Pacific Islander 0%
Two or more races 0%
Source: NCES, 2009-2010

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
Computer specialist(s)
Cooking/Nutrition teacher(s)
Instructional aide(s)/coach(es)
Librarian/media specialist(s)
Music teacher(s)
PE instructor(s)
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Tutor(s)
Foreign languages spoken by school staff Spanish
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered
  • None - the school offers no services
Extra learning resources offered
  • Differentiated learning programs

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer specialist(s)

• PE instructor(s)
  • Access to sports fields
  • Gym
  • Kitchen
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")

School start time
  • 8:10 am
School end time
  • 3:00 pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school: starts at 7:00 a.m.
  • After school: ends at 6:00 p.m.
  • Dr. Steven Gray
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
Age at which early childhood or Pre-K program begins
  • 2 years old
  • Coed
Boarding options
  • Day school
Is there an application process?
Affiliation
  • Christian
Associations
  • ACSI
Fax number
  • (626) 791-1256

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• Core knowledge
  • Direct instruction
  • Hands on focus in math & science
  • Project-based
  • Standards-based
Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered

• Internet access
  • Kitchen
  • Learning lab
  • Library
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Music room

School culture

Dress Code
  • Dress code
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Volunteer in the classroom