K-6|Private

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (6 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (7 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (6 responses)

Handles bullying effectively: Strongly agree

FWS goes beyond in this area. Not only is the staff, including the outdoor education supervisor, highly educated and trained in conflict resolution and peace promoting, they do a wonderful job at training and coaching the membership on how to solve conflicts respectfully. The children play an active role in this process.

Supports LD students: Strongly agree

The FWS teachers follow a responsive classroom approach. This wholistic teaching style considers different learning styles and the teaching staff does an exemplary job at meeting students where they are and guiding their growth and development both academically and emotionally.

Effective school leaders: Strongly agree

We are so fortunate at FWS to not only have wonderful leadership within our staff but also our parent body. Our membership and advisory board is comprised of so many talented, creative and effective people committed to community and education. Friends Schools have a long history of hands-on, participatory learning with the gaining of practical knowledge and that is evident there.

Develops character: Strongly agree

A marker of a Quaker education is the beliefs that we are all teachers and learners and that each child has unique gifts and talents. The Quaker values of Simplicity, Peace, Integrity, Community, Equality and Stewardship are talked about, practiced and lived within the school day curriculum, charitable events and meetings.

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

The teaching and support staff at FWS are amazing, dedicated and inspiring. As an educator myself I am continually impressed by them.

Amount of homework: Strongly agree

The homework policy states that no homework is given until grade 3. However, both my children asked for work to do at home before reaching that age. They are active excited learners so continuing to learn after 3pm isn't seen as a chore.

FWS offers smaller classrooms, individualized educational goals, and family engagement beyond our expectations. The teachers and families at FWS work together to meet our children's academic and social/emotional goals. As a former public school teacher and parent(s) we feel fortunate to have found a place where our children are respected for who they are and how they learn. The growth we have seen this year both emotionally and academically are immeasurable.

Teacher effectiveness: Disagree

They have multiple student that are grade levels behind. They have no established education plan or philosophy and are essentially making it up as they go along with little collaboration among the teaching staff.

We attended Friends Western School last year (2014/2015) and I did not hear about any of the previous scandals and issues until after we had enrolled. Had I known what I know now then I would have never enrolled my child at the school. Our experience with the co-op was the stuff of nightmares. All of the negative things you hear and read about the school are true. Our own experience included a horrendous incident involving our kindergarten child that included bullying to the point of the unfathomable, and we had to abruptly leave the school before the end of the year because FWS proved to be an unsafe place for our child. Read my yelp review for more information or contact me directly, I am more than happy to share my experience. Stay away from this school at all cost.

Develops character: Strongly disagree

They are not equipped to run a school. There are no paid administrators and everything is run by a very unstructured and chaotic parent volunteer system. Students are routinely left unsupervised and there is little adherence to what they claim to be their guiding philosophies.

Last modified Friends Western School is a Private school that serves grades K-6