Pasadena, CA
Before care: Yes

Posted June 27, 2014
I am a recent graduate of Friends Western School and I would have to say the experience so far has been out of this world. On the last day of school, we had an epic dance party and when it was time to leave, I COULDN'T STOP crying because I was going to miss my friends so much and the amazing people I met there. The small class sizes were excellent for children who needed more attention and the teachers were able to teach everyone who were all at different levels. Everyone was so kind and it was a surprising considering at the beginning of my time at FWS, I was the only girl Again, I just had the most amazing experience at Friends Western School and now that I'm moving on to a middle school, Westridge school for girls, I know what I have learned at FWS will further me in my career and I will always remember Friends Western School.

Friends Western School 4

Posted April 18, 2014
Great school for parents who like to be involved and participate in their child's school experience. Coming from a highly sought after charter school, we are grateful to find a real school experience for our child. Great fieldtrips, small class sizes, and a community feel.

Posted April 17, 2014
Our daughter is in her first year at FWS. Her first year of formal education was in a charter school. Although the charter school she attended had a wonderful mission and we saw many children thriving there, it just wasn t the right fit for our family. FWS offers smaller classrooms, individualized educational goals, and family engagement beyond our expectations. The teachers and families at FWS work together to meet our daughters academic and social/emotional goals. As a former public school teacher and parent(s) we feel fortunate to have found a place where our daughter is respected for who she is and how she learns. The growth we have seen this year both emotionally and academically are immeasurable.

Posted April 09, 2014
FWS is a school where kids are respected and treated as individuals. In that kind of environment they thrive as learners and as friends. The classes are small enough that the children can be known for who they are, they can learn at their own pace without judgement, and they treat each other with immense kindness. My daughter loves to come to school here.

Posted March 20, 2014
My daughters are in their second year at FWS. We feel fortunate to be at this school. The teachers are incredibly dedicated. The community is wonderful. The children are confident and friendships between students are not dependent on sharing the same age or class which seems unique and echoes the Montessori tradition. I have twin daughters and they read at very different levels: one being at her level or just under and the other being much more advanced. The teachers are able to meet both of my children's needs and there is no sense of competition. I definitely reccomend checking out FWS if you are looking for a progressive, academically grounded environment for your child.

Posted March 20, 2014
Our daughter is in her second year at Friends Western School and loves it. The small size of the classes is great. She is taught as a unique individual based upon her own needs and learning style. There is also a great sense of community among the parents and children.

Posted March 19, 2014
It s nice to talk about educational philosophies and field trips and community, but what parents really want (and need) to know is: Will Friends Western School provide my child with a good education? Having just completed the rigorous process of applying to middle school, I can honestly tell you that the answer is a resounding Yes. Our daughter applied to some of the most competitive schools in the area and was accepted to every school she applied to. She will be attending the Westridge School next fall and, as her parents, we are thrilled with her success. Friends Western s individualized curriculum helped our daughter not only excel academically, but also to find her voice a quality that many schools do not seem to value. At FWS, emphasis is placed on developing the whole child and we ve not only seen our daughter flourish, but her classmates as well. Childhood is a really precious time and it flies by so quickly. Our daughter's experiences at Friends Western School have helped to define her and will be a part of the wonderful and accomplished woman she ll undoubtedly become.

Posted March 13, 2014
My daughter is in the 2nd grade and being a part of a Quaker Cooperative School has been a lovely, energetic, boisterous, frustrating, exhilarating, challenging, educational, and rewarding experience. I like the extra activities like hikes, field trips, clubs, music and art. I also am enjoying the new educational endeavors of the teachers. My child has increased her reading skills by 2 grade levels in just half a year. There are also specialty staff to assist in academic assessments as well a counsel if my daughter is having an emotional day. All the tools are in place to help her to be a well rounded adult and face educational and social challenges that impact all kids. I also really enjoy the families who work to pull it all together. When I first started I felt like we were a bunch of pirates, but we've been learning about Quaker communication styles and it seems to be helping us get needs met without much swashbuckling. The school could improve with their fundraising and grant efforts so we could better support all the sweat equity that has been gifted by parents, teachers and support staff. For now, I just need some shades, cuz it looks pretty bright.

Posted August 30, 2013
This is the place for my daughter and meets her needs to a tee. Every child learns differently and the indiviualized attention and differentiation has been very helpful with her education. I love that the class sizes are capped at 14, though the average is closer to 10. Also the numerous amount of field trips and experiential learning opportunities just abound. This school requires a lot of the parents, being a co-op, but the rewards have been fabulous. And almost every parent at this school would agree. The teachers are very knowledgeable about assessing and working with the student to acheive the goals. The Principle Leadership is awesome, since, again, being a co-op, the administration is the parents, and therefore parent involvement is at an astronomical level. Finally, communication is top notch, there hasn't been any suprises since my kid started here, like, there's a field trip today, sign my permission, etc. It is not just a great school, but a great community. 5 stars and 2 thumbs up.

Posted August 29, 2013
FWS is a wonderful community, has a great curriculum, and the kids love being there. I feel lucky to be a part of this small but growing school.

Friends Western School