The Waverly School

Private | K-12

Student diversity

Living in Pasadena

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $785,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,400.

Sweep tile

Posted January 20, 2013

This school is the sad example of what happens to progressive education when admissions go haywire. Since everybody who applies gets in (they need the tuitions for salaries etc..) most of the kids enrolled are problem kids who would not fit anywhere else. The ADHD population is huge and the lack of grades or consequences keeps them here. As a result the regular kids are not challenged or interested, get bored and fall behind. The lucky ones get to transfer out but many get stuck at Waverly because of their poor academic results. This school is a hot mess, despite a lot of promise in its educational approach. Although at least a quarter of my child's class has learning deficits, no teacher on staff is trained for special Ed. The school should be honest and present itself as what it is: a facility for special needs kids. The school has no set guidelines for its curriculums and the teachers are left to their own devices to come up with programs. It is sad to see such chaos in the name of progressive education. Waverly perpetuates an unfair stereotype.

Posted March 18, 2011

A stigma attached to The Waverly School is that they accept everybody. But that begs the obvious question- what happens when they get there? I went to an elementary school that went from K-6. In 5th grade, we found Waverly. I went for a visiting day and felt such a connection to the warm atmosphere, the project based curriculum, and the strong emphasis on the community. I could not be more happy with the choice that I made which was to attend Waverly. When I came to Waverly, I was not motivated, not a strong student, and worse, unaware of all the above. The Waverly teachers encouraged me to succeed higher than I knew I was capable and to not only challenge me, but my peers as well. The lack of grades yet presence of constrictive, well thought out, progress reports made me realize exactly where I was and where I needed to be. I have made a tremendous amount of progress at Waverly and have been accepted into some of the most competitive schools in LA. Waverly is not shy in expressing their dedication for the students and have one priority: giving a student the tools and guidance he/she needs to excel in everything they can, without making learning seem like a chore
—Submitted by a student

Posted November 13, 2010

The problem for teachers is that while some teachers are fantastic, most are lacking. I get the lack of letter grades - I am on that page. But teachers can't tell students how many things they got wrong on tests! The principal of the school treats every student like a baby. She cannot fathom that a senior is able to think constructively. And that is in her own words. "Teenagers cannot be constructive." If the principal is saying something like that, what does that say about the school? Also, Waverly accepts almost anyone. My daughter is the kind of girl who doesn't like school, but does fairly well. Small classes? Her ninth grade class was twice as large as any other grade because Waverly accepted everyone who applied. Many of those kids, seemed like they had problems like the boy who would throw temper tantrums in class. There are no options. Want to take an elective? Sure, pick art or drama and if you're good at reading music, you can take music. Sports? Sure, we practice once a week - bad program. Waverly was a huge mistake and because they are behind in subjects like math and science my daughter is behind despite being very bright.

Posted March 19, 2010

Our daughter did one year of high school here. The students have no supervision. The teachers pretty much hand them a book and tell them to read it. It is not what it claims to be. They also have no athletics and the main school activity is hanging out. Not a good place to learn. Lots of problems.

67 West Bellevue Drive