6-12|Private

Bad
Good

Posted March 13, 2012
3 years ago my husband and I ccntemplated pulling our son from the Christian private school he had been attending since the 3rd grade. He was now entering the middle school level of the school and were uncertain if he could grow there, not only as an individual but academically , as well. As difficult as the decision was to pull him from his classmates, my son, my husband, and myself found it to be the best decision we could have possibly made. The Peace and Justice Academy has far superceded our expectations. They have a caring over qualified staff that could be teaching at various univerisities making far more than they are here but instead they are at this school giving selflessly to my son and to the rest of the children who attend here. They challenge our kids to think for themselves and to think outside the box. These kids are being trained to help change our world and make it a better place for everyone.

Posted January 20, 2012
This school is in it's 3rd year and is really beyond amazing. The teachers are caring, committed and have high expectations of the students. The school is growing but continues to make sure a sense of community is a high priority. But beyond the day to day learning, the school engages students in global issues in both thinking and doing. Friday field trips as well as a monthly restorative justice class are highlights for the students. It's a privilege to be a part of this incredible school.

Posted June 16, 2011
Wildly overqualified teachers; a community of students who enjoy one another well enough to plan activities together outside school; a curriculum that makes education meaningful by preparing students not just for the "success" that feeds self-absorption but success in getting outside themselves to address the deep needs of a hurting world; a curriculum that engages, challenges, and invites creativity; and a place where my kids are not just willing but happy to go: If those sound like what you're looking for in a school, you've come to the right place. Don't just take my word for it. Drop by and see.

Posted June 15, 2011
As educators ourselves, my husband and I know that not everything that is advertised is always true when it comes to schools and recruitment information. This school is the exception. The Peace and Justice Academy is very clear about its mission to "awaken students to the realities and challenges that will face them as adults, and prepare them to stand for justice, wage peace, and impact the world." Our 6th grade son has grown more in his first year at the Peace and Justice Academy than any other year in public school. He takes ownership of his education, he sets goals, he is more confident, and most important, he sees himself as a future leader ready to make positive changes in the world. Just the other day he was asking us whether he should go stright through to get a PhD or get an M.S. degree and do some field research first on his way to his career in Archeology. Thank you Peace and Justice Academy for helping our son see his potential and aim high!

Posted June 14, 2011
This is truly a community-focused, faith-based school that I feel will prepare its students for university and careers that reflect its mission of peace and justice. Families are involved at all levels and the students are encouraged to strive for academic excellence within a cooperative and supportive environment. Respect for teachers, parents and students peers alike is a welcome hallmark of the school. We have been struck by the creative way that our girls (11 and 14) have experienced service to each other, to our Pasadena neighbourhood and to world at large has been emphasized during "Field Fridays", the Restorative Justice class and community service opportunities. Committed, excellent teaching staff with years of experience round out the school's program and serve as wonderful role models for our kids.

Posted June 14, 2011
Last spring my son and I received a beautifully decorated card/flyer detailing the focus of the Peace & Justice Academy and an invitation to attend the open house. I was excited about the information on the school's website as well as the card/flyer and couldn't wait to find out more. My son was truly excited about the no homework policy and also wanted to learn more about the school. During the open house my son remarked that he loved the school and I immediately shared his sentiment. Here we are one year later and we both still love the school! The teachers and community members work earnestly to provide individualized instruction, academic excellence that goes beyond the walls of the classroom via Field Fridays, and hands-on life building skills all within the structure of a christian foundation. My son's transition from public school to this wonderful educational environment has been nurtured by loving teachers who focused on his needs and met them at every turn to encourage success. I highly recommend parents and students visit this remarkable educational wonder and bask in the joy of what learning should be about!

The Peace & Justice Academy
2033 E. Washington Blvd, Pasadena, CA  91104
Last modified The Peace & Justice Academy is a Private school that serves grades 6-12