Pasadena, CA
Students enrolled: 1,205

Posted November 24, 2014
Blair has just been listed by Los Angeles Magazine as one of the 75 high schools, both public and private, most likely to get a student into a good college. It is deserved, as we list of our recent graduates now at Ivy League schools, at institutions such as Stanford, and at the top UCs. The International Baccalaureate Programme - both the Middle Years Programme (grades 6-10) and the IB Diploma Programme (grades 11 and 12), are unique in the area and certified only for this school site. We have an award-winning culinary/hospitality academy, which is (as I write this) cooking all of the turkeys for the huge Thanksgiving feast run by Union Station, Pasadena's homeless shelter - a part of their community service component. We also have a fine health careers academy, and a welcoming "international academy" for students who are new to the country and learning English. Our fine special education department rounds out the solid and inclusive feel of our school. The JROTC is impressive and very visible in the community. Even in bungalows, waiting for long-delayed upgrades to the now-empty high school building, we are doing good work. Don't judge us by our "cover."

Blair High School 5

Posted November 23, 2014
Blair offers a lot more than the community is wiling to allow. If we had more backing from the district instead of "Lets Close; to help Muir". Then not only would the numbers increase, but so would the neighboring people understand. For several years Blair has been promised a High School remodel, the two programs that are Blair's strongest defense are the JROTC program, and the IB program. The other schools wish they could have these strong programs, but there is only 1 Army JROTC program, and its setting the example. The JROTC program has IB, International student's as well as student's who just want to take a break from traditional PT. They not only learn physical fitness, but many other subjects along the Armies guidelines. The JROTC program boasts a 96% Fitness gram passage, and 99% graduation rate. So give Blair some respect, and understand were just not another run of the mill high school. Give us the support we deserve, and the lights will burn forever as the education in our students does.

Blair High School 1

Posted October 14, 2014
Terrible school. The environment is discouraging, and many of the teachers, in my view, aren't doing the best job. My son attended this school, until I pulled him out and placed him into a private school, simply because he was struggling academically. He is a straight A student, and thrives to seek education at its upmost quality. However, the staff is so incompetent; and don't even make me bring up the principal. As soon as I noticed that F creeping within his report card, I thought the proper and responsible choice must be made.

Blair High School 3

Posted July 29, 2014
"The best kept secret in Pasadena" has that exact phrase painted onto an outer wall of the school, for all to see. Not a very well kept school, not a very well kept secret.

Posted August 12, 2013
My daughter entered Blair as a 6th grader in 2011. Despite the budget cuts from the State, she has received a quality education at Blair. It s not just her test scores that reflect her learning but the types of projects/assignments she works on and the way she talks about her teachers and what is she is learning in class. Her 6th and 7th grade teachers had great classroom management, were highly organized, resourceful, talented and most important committed to high quality education for the students at Blair. The teaching staff have been extremely supportive and accessible in person and through email. The Vice Principal Mrs. Brambila is an visionary adminstrator with dynamic school leadership. I know there are concerns about the social environment, but with any school, it s about the choices your child makes. We are thankful that our daughter has a good group of friends that she connected with at Blair. Like with any child, parent(s) have to be involved in their childrens education.

Posted March 25, 2012
This place is insane. Im currently in 7th grade on the middle school side and it was worse than last year. There are WAY more random fights, more assemblies on how we need to act, and...there have been 3 teacher assults. My math teacher got punched in the face, the PE teacher got "jumped" by three high school girls, and another one i choose not to say on here... The teachers here are amazing though and im always hearing about new ways to get into great colleges and im only in the 7th grade. They have an IB program and it has already made me realize what im going to do with my life. Its pretty unsafe here and i could explain more on why but im running out out characters to type with. Basically the teachers dont deserve the place and the students on the middle school side dont deserve the undivided attention and sacrafices that the teachers here make. If you want your kid going here for high school though, i highly recimend it!

Posted September 12, 2011
While the former principal referenced certainly helped put Blair on the right road, Blair continues to focus on the important goals we all share. Having just received a six year WASC accredidation with no restrictions, we feel confident that the learning experience that was observed and investigated is what we DO offer all students enrolled.

Blair High School 5

Posted September 05, 2011
My daughter was in the first sixth grade class at Blair. It was a wonderful transition experience for her. Blair Middle School has a wonderful group of teachers. Very caring and supportive. My daughter is in 8th grade now. The new Blair Middle School is open and they've hired all new eight grade teachers. I sat in on their classes and I am impressed. They have high standards and expectations for the kids. I know my daughter will step up to the challenge. The new IB Spanish teacher is outstanding. I am very excited about what this year will bring. So is my daughter!

Blair High School 0

Posted October 09, 2010
It's a public school with a private school attitude.

Blair High School 1

Posted September 24, 2010
My son is new to Blair Middle School and this year so far has been the worst experience as of so far. It is the end of the 2nd week and the students still don't have their books, class sizes are 50+ students, I have received 4 electronic phone messages on 4 seperate days saying, "your child has been recorded as absent in one or more classes" by mistake, and the teacher do not communicate, and the whole school is understaffed! I'm taking my son out and finding a school where he will actually receive an education!

Blair High School
1201 South Marengo Avenue, Pasadena, CA  91106
Last modified Blair High School is a Public school that serves grades 6-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Blair High School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 46 reviews. Top