Marshall Fundamental School

Public | 6-12

Living in Pasadena

Situated in an inner city neighborhood. The median home value is $453,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,400.

Posted September 26, 2013

Marshall is a friendly and well-organized school for its size and provides education for over 2,000 students from 6th through 12th grade. College prep designed courses start in 6th grade, music programs are very strong and staff always seems available to answer questions.

Posted September 10, 2013

First month at school. Daughter is in Honors 7th Grade. She didn't receive any of her text books till the 3rd week. Her gym locker was broken into and her scooter was stolen. Just giving you the facts.

Posted January 9, 2013

Wow, where do I begin? A few years ago I left a review on this page (I was a freshman at the time) and now i'm a senior. Yes, a senior can you believe it? The years have gone by so fast. Faster than expected actually. I have been here since the 7th grade and have loved this school since. I've met so many amazing friends that have now become family and teachers that all genuinely care about me and my education. It's been rocky along the way but with the help from the Marshall community I was able to get this far. The days are getting closer and closer to the day I graduate, the day that I do graduate I will be proud to say that I graduated an Eagle! We're almost there Class of 2013! Just a little bit longer!:)

Posted August 5, 2012

Marshall is an amazing school. I am currently going to be in high school this year, and I must say, my middle school experience has been amazing. The teachers actually care about their students and push them to try their hardest. Marshall was the first (and i believe the only) to have and AP Prep class for 6th grade (there are actually 3). The orchestra/band and choir classes are wonderful (I've been in both) the teachers will give you songs that you wouldn't expect to hear from middle school students. The teachers are brilliant. If you are in AP classes, once you start the transition into 7th grade, you get summer homework. It's not always easy, but I like the fact that they give it to us because it keeps you challenged throughout the summer and you continue an education even when you are not in school. The classes are interesting, and the teachers will do whatever they can to help you understand the work that comes along with the class. All in all, I adore Marshall and it's a wonderful school to help prep for college. You don't find "cliques" at Marshall, so being excluded is not an issue, many people are very warm and welcoming to new students. Bullying is scarce. 5/5 stars

Posted July 15, 2010

The music program at Marshall is one of the most amazing institutes I've ever been in! The leadership in band is like no other! This marching season we sadly lost our band director, leaving us with a substitute Teacher until we were able to Find a new director. During that time the members of the marching band took responsibility of the entire music program, which included beginning courses in band and orchestra, which consists of mainly junior high kids. The band members became stand in teachers and taught the beginning and intermediate classes by themselves for about 2 months. After they pulled off such a miraculous feat, the marching band went off to win 1st place in competitions. The music program is really out of this world at Marshall. Music is considered to be a great asset to Marshall, so it's always appreciated by school officials. I rate Marshall music 5*s

Posted October 5, 2009

Marshall encourages academic excellence for all of its students. I am proud to be a part of its fine staff!

Posted September 9, 2009

I am a retired teacher from Marshall who maintains substantial contact with the school in both paid and volunteer capacities. The strong academic/AP program, the high degree of parent involvement, and the very active music program all stand out. Underlying all these is the strong leadership (administrators) which took charge about five years ago. What a pleasure it has been to witness a school which has been transformed for the better during the past five years. I would be remiss not to mention the impressively large number of simply wonderful young people who are our students; their high caliber makes the rest possible.

Posted January 28, 2009

wow! I have a 12th, 10th and 8th grader and one who graduateded in 2006 , as is now attending the United States Merchant Marine Academy at Kings Point New York , Marshall has definaetly been a very big part of our lives for the past 8 years and even to find the right words to express my love and appreciation for the awesome teachers ,and staff and parents that volunteer and not to mention the great students we have from all diverse backgrounds, Marshall has great Teachers that work very hards to help all students acheive their highest goals ,dreams and potiential to get them ready for the real world ,not only acedemecly but socialy as well , my sons and daughter have all been a part of Marshalls AP programs and honor classes , and clubs and even what they Love the most,Sports!Thank You Marshall & God Bless You.

Posted November 13, 2008

i went to marshall since 6th grade and i am now an 8th grader attending at a different school because we moved but i honestly would do anything to return to that school. i had very good teachers an got along with all of them. they made me fell comfortable in discussing stuff. i had many very good friends. i love Marshall =]]

Posted October 22, 2008

My daughter entered the 6th grade at Marshall this year and I can proudly say that she is loving it. She is constantly challenged, and many assignments involve working as a team with other students. I am thrilled at the enthusiasm my daughter has to go to school each day. We did begin in a local private school, but early on found Pasadena schools have far more to offer. We look forward to a great education for many years to come.

Posted October 20, 2008

My son is in the 9th grade and has come from private school to Marshal. We could no longer afford private school due to finances. I was concerned when he first started that he would not be challenged enough. To the contrary, he has excellent classes and teachers in the honors program and appears to be blending in successfully with the other students. He has already made new friends. I couldn't be happier with the way things have turned out.

Posted September 9, 2008

Although I would rather have given the school 3 and 1/2 stars, I believe that this school has qualities not acquirable by most well-off schools in the higher-grade districts. The relationship between students with each other and with teachers is likely to be found no where. Students are encouraged to be themselves and find their own talents/strengths, unlike many vigorous schools that focus too much on the letter grade and what's on paper rather than on the individual child/student. The reason, however, that it is not, in my opinion, 4 or 5 stars is that some (1/4 of the) teachers simply don't do their job correctly. There is not enough vigor and competitiveness in the classrooms because teachers will often give out easy A's and not push the students to actually learn the subject. There are, of course, many exceptions--some of the teachers are simply brilliant.

Posted March 1, 2008

I currently have 2 students at Marshall and have been very pleased with the academic rigor to which they are exposed. They are challenged in their AP and honors classes and have had wonderful experiences in band and on various sports teams. Any student who attends Marshall has the opportunity to excel and flourish academically. Those who are the most successful have parents and/or guardians who view their child's education as a partnership so they are active and stay in communication with the staff as well as keep abreast of school happenings. For those who are wondering...I've not once been worried for the safety of my children and I'll happily send my youngest there in another year.

Posted February 29, 2008

I been attending marshall since 6th grage i am now a senior for class of 2008. Marhsall is one of the best school ever .Stdent ther have a very safe enviroment and the school staff is the most friendlies.

Posted August 16, 2007

I'm a 2007 graduate of Marshall. I am now in my plebe year at the U.S. Naval Academy. Marshall has definitly help me learn how to interact with different cultures and has prepared me for the diverse ethnicity in the military.

Posted July 21, 2007

My daughter has attended Marshall since 6th grade and came there with 85% of her graduating class from Dom Benito Elementary. They opened a couple new honor classes for them and she continues to be with many of her peers from Kindergarten. We are very happy at Marshall and much more so than with PHS that my other daughter attended. Marshall is well run with top-notch leadership. My daughter is now in the AP program and we are extremely impressed with all her teachers. She is part of the art club and going on a trip to Europe with her art teacher. Great art, music, and theatre programs at Marshall also! I would definitely reccommend it.

Posted July 20, 2007

Yes, I do agree with the parent reviews for Marshall Fundamental School. My daughter have attended since 8th grade, September 2005. I do agree with 1 of the parent review about students standing on the corner near the store, dropping & picking up is ridiculous, traffic congestion, staff turnover, better traffic supervision near the school, dress code, etc. This fall, my daughter willn't be returning back to Marshall, she will be attending another high school in the district.

Posted January 12, 2006

This is our third year at Marshall's Middle School. The quality of the academic programs continues to be top-notch. We have found that even at the middle school level, Marshall offers many extracurricular activities including band, choir, orchestra, sports, art, Spanish & French, computer, and drama. The music program this year is stronger than ever! In addition to the various electives that Marshall offers its students, there are also several clubs such as drama, film, art, chess, science, etc. that they can join. The current level of parent involvement has grown ten-fold since our first year at Marshall. This year the PTA has enlisted a Volunteer Coordinator that communicates areas in need of assistance and coordinates with the parents to fulfill those needs. In summary, we love Marshall! We look forward to continuing on this Fall in the High School program.

Posted July 17, 2005

pretty big,good teachers,as far as i've seen not too bad.
—Submitted by a former student

Posted April 27, 2005

I was quite nervous about my 7th grader starting at Marshall, primarily due to the combination of high school students, racial issues, dress code (or lack there of) and the lack of 'community' that one fosters at an elementary school. I, however, would like to see six areas addressed: 1)a definite dress code ENFORCED(possibly uniforms); 2)better management of the students hanging out on the corner of that store; 3) better supervision on the street corners, especially w/ regard to crossing in traffic. Students will walk against the light, some very slowly w/o regard to cars; 4)better drop-off/pick-up of students. Some parents will hold up the entire line of traffic to drop off a child. 5) the number of times that 'substitute' teachers are in the classroom is somewhat disconcerting; and 6)the inability of teachers to control the student(s) who are disruptive and thus punish the entire class.

This school's

(2012)

6 / 10

4 / 10

API Growth scores over time

Did this school meet the API goal this year?
  • This school did not meet its schoolwide API target for 2013.
  • This school has not yet met the state goal of 800.

API Growth scores by subgroup

Did this school meet all the API goals for student subgroups this year?
  • This school did not meet all student subgroup API targets for 2013

Change from 2012 to 2013
API Statewide Rank
(2012)

6 / 10

API Statewide Rank (2012)

4 / 10

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 60% in 2013.

237 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 55% in 2013.

236 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 86% in 2013.

33 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 60% in 2013.

235 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 52% in 2013.

203 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 50% in 2013.

146 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 57% in 2013.

257 students were tested at this school in 2013.

General Mathematics (Grades 6 & 7 Standards)

85 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 85% in 2013.

43 students were tested at this school in 2013.

History - Social Science Grade 8 Cumulative

281 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 67% in 2013.

256 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 25% in 2013.

98 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 65% in 2013.

35 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology/Life Sciences

The state average for Biology/Life Sciences was 58% in 2013.

Earth Science

The state average for Earth Science was 38% in 2013.

94 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 62% in 2013.

251 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 45% in 2013.

118 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Integrated/Coordinated Science I

The state average for Integrated/Coordinated Science I was 26% in 2013.

Physics

The state average for Physics was 38% in 2013.

45 students were tested at this school in 2013.

World History

The state average for World History was 51% in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 13% in 2013.

41 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 39% in 2013.

102 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology/Life Sciences

The state average for Biology/Life Sciences was 41% in 2013.

132 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Chemistry

The state average for Chemistry was 46% in 2013.

133 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Earth Science

The state average for Earth Science was 35% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 52% in 2013.

257 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 15% in 2013.

76 students were tested at this school in 2013.

High School (Summative) Mathematics (Grade 9-11)

37 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 54% in 2013.

256 students were tested at this school in 2013.

World History

The state average for World History was 46% in 2013.

269 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 10% in 2013.

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 15% in 2013.

85 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology/Life Sciences

The state average for Biology/Life Sciences was 51% in 2013.

97 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Chemistry

The state average for Chemistry was 32% in 2013.

112 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Earth Science

The state average for Earth Science was 37% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 48% in 2013.

231 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 8% in 2013.

28 students were tested at this school in 2013.

High School (Summative) Mathematics (Grade 9-11)

117 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Physics

The state average for Physics was 58% in 2013.

30 students were tested at this school in 2013.

U.S. History

The state average for U.S. History was 50% in 2013.

246 students were tested at this school in 2013.

World History

The state average for World History was 19% in 2013.

All Students69%

Parent education - college graduate68%
Parent education - graduate school/post graduate78%
Parent education - declined to state45%

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 83% in 2013.

266 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 84% in 2013.

270 students were tested at this school in 2013.

All Students90%

Teacher experience

This school District averageState average
First-year teachers 7%N/AN/A
Source: Civil Rights Data Collection, 2011-2012

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

990 North Allen Avenue