Pasadena, CA
Students enrolled: 1,070
Before care: Yes

John Muir High School 4

Posted September 26, 2014
Junior that attends Muir here! I am in the Engineering and Environmental Science Academy and I believe the teachers really care and will not hesitate to help. It may be a block schedule and I may not see my teachers everyday, but I truly develop a true camaraderie ship with them. Right now I am taking an aerospace engineering class and it may be harder than my A.P. classes, but it is truly a pleasure to take. If a PUSD student wants to pursue engineering (whether it be aerospace, electrical, mechanical,etc.) Muir is the best choice out of all the Pasadena public schools. They also offer an Arts, Entertainment, and Media & a Business academy. I am not too familiar with those teachers but I spent time with a few after school to borrow computers and they are charismatic, fun people. The school also offers a variety of activities. It has the only ceramics class in the district and an after school rockband too! I gave this school 4 stars because although the teachers are great there are a huge amount of careless students. It may be a tradition to not care but the district unfairly send teens that got expelled at other schools here. A student can flourish here if they allow themself to

Posted June 04, 2014
Please, this school is a disaster as are Pasadena schools in general. If you have children and are thinking of moving to Pasadena, Don"t.....unless you are intending Private education.

John Muir High School 2

Posted March 20, 2014
John Muir high school is a good school, but needs improvement. From a students perspective I can tell parents what really goes on in the school. First main problem is not only affecting Muir, but other schools in the nation, and that is the budget. The schools low budget limits the amount of student activities, but more importantly affects classes and educational programs that helps students. The last problem are the students enrolled in the school. Muir has a great team of staff and teachers willing to help students learn , however students disrespet teachers and students often pay for this. Muir might become a good school in the future but as of right now it needs a lot of improvement. Also some of the students pier pressure their fellow classmates into doing drugs, which leads to someone going to the hospital(it's happens 3 times so far! )

Posted December 03, 2013
John Muir Highschool is the absolute best school for my 15 year old son. He was diagnosed with Autism at age two and has developed into high functioning Asbergers. The staff at Muir is excellent in engaging him, teaching him and advising him. He has superb grades, picked up playing the saxophone, got into marching band and is also a part of the ROTC. I am amazed at the young gentleman he is becoming. He is on track to fulfill his dream of becoming an engineer. The Principal is always available to talk to. We bought a home a few blocks away from PHS but told the district we wanted to keep him at Muir. This school is turning around, changing and it's thrilling to be a part of making it happen.

Posted November 26, 2013
John Muir High School is great school to attend we have so many activities that will help and prepare us for college. The staff and administration are very joyful and very encouraging. I feel very safe as a student here at John Muir High School. I feel like I have many opportunities in this school.

Posted October 09, 2013
JMHS is a great school! The faculty, staff and administration are all very supportive. They've been working hard to improve the overall quality of the school, and there has been tremendous improvement since Principal Sipple has arrived. The kids are fantastic and are really fun to work with. JMHS is working diligently to ensure the kids are getting a world-class education. Don't believe me? Just ask for a tour of the school and see for yourself!

Posted August 13, 2013
As a graduate, don't send your kids here. We didn't learn anything in half of my classes and half of the teachers didn't teach. The excuse of demographics doesn't even apply since PHS and Marshall pull from essentially the same pool, albeit no PUSD school compares to its neighbors. It wasn't until I went to college, with friends from every other high school around Pasadena, that I realized how cheated my friends and I were out of an education. Different standards expectations and performance compared to us who nearly all of us either failed a class or dropped out. If you care about your children's future, don't send them here.

Posted August 09, 2012
I went to many high schools and i plan to go back to this high school for my senior year because others just don't compare. The staff is great, the students are respectful and highly motivated. Our school spirit is the highest i've ever seen and for a reason. The staff is attentive to the needs of the students and the teachers are amazing. It gets a bad rap for the part of the neighborhood its in but it really isn't anything like they make it out to be. Its a great school that produces great allumni.

Posted October 18, 2010
I do not recommend going to this school period. I'm a current student at this school, Junior, and I plan on leaving soon, (I received a letter from the district allowing me to do so due to its low API) Muir's teachers aren't motivated to teach since the students aren't willing to learn and there are some students that take education seriously and they are treated like the rest. Since Muir is blocked schedule you might not see your teachers for 2 days, you won't receive that student teacher bond. The academies are a complete waste of time they have you take art, business, & environmental science, and when you actually think about it you will begin to wonder as a student "Why am I here?" The staff isn't great either. I'd say the only good teachers are the ones that teach AP. This school is good only for babysitting.

John Muir High School 0

Posted October 01, 2010
The school spirit is so high and the alumni in the area are so supportive! We have the only Alumni Association in the area and the group is working hard to support the students, teachers, faculty & staff and improve the school as a whole.

John Muir High School
1905 North Lincoln Avenue, Pasadena, CA  91103
Last modified John Muir High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 3 out of 10 based on academic quality.
John Muir High School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 29 reviews. Top