Pasadena High School

Public | 9-12 | 2016 students

Posted June 18, 2014

The best high school in the district is obviously Pasadena High. I have four children. Three of them goes to Marshall and one goes to Pasadena. The one who attends PHS has more tremendous stellar academics than my other children who goes to Marshall. I am blown away of his avid ambitions of reading very complex difficult novels to solving advance math and science problems. This is because of the wonderful teachers that PHS has. They are professionals and it is not an opinion but a fact. They are true experienced teachers who can teach at an advanced university graduate level. Anyone can go bragging how good other high schools are, but when it comes to the unrivaled PHS, no other Pasadena schools can compete with PHS's brilliant gifted students.

Posted April 5, 2014

Because of this outstanding school, college is not hard for me. I had very experienced and brilliant teachers at PHS who were former professors (Dr. Verdi and Mr. Davis). My professors at college were impressed over my strong beautifully written critical analysis and research. This school will actually prepare students to a prestigious university. What other school has an actual AP Physics class taught by a former university professor with over 30 yrs of experience? PHS! This school is home to the top elite teachers in the district. Send your child here to PHS to experience quality education.

Posted December 22, 2011

I moved my daughter to PHS from a private school and I am very pleased at how well things have worked out for her. PHS has a much wider selection of Advanced Placement classes, along with an excellent music program and a wide variety of sports, clubs and other extracurricular opportunites including a Shakespeare play in which my daughter will have a role. She is very excited and pleasantly surprised at all the wonderful opportunities at PHS. Her counselor, Mr Tran, is outstanding, much better than her counselor at her prior private school. PHS is very safe and all the teachers are very supportive. The PTSA and music booster parent groups are very active and welcoming. I wish we had started her at PHS when she began high school, it has been a wonderful experience for our daughter.

Posted May 17, 2011

This is a school with a great history, a lot of diversity, many great teachers, and their is a reason the weekly counts as the best public school in Pasadena. Given the number of low income students, our kids have very respectable academic scores. My child loves it a PHS, gets a lot of support and is off to a great college next year. Thanks PHS!

Posted April 29, 2010

If this site would allow me to I would give this school zero stars! I have a daughter who attends PHS as a freshmen and another daughter in the junior level both girls have been picked on and harrased by a group of kids that has numbered up to 30 boys and girls all together. I have attempted to resolve this issue for months now without any success. I have filed police reports on these individuals and the bullying has continued to date, the school adminstration has the responsibilty to provide a safe environment for our kids to learn. In all we are very dissapointed with this schools leadership and lack of caring about there students safe being. We have to date filed two police reports and have meet with adminstration several times, send countles number of emails and spoken at school board. We are transfering our girls now. Grade F

Posted November 3, 2009

PHS offers everything....academics, sports, music, art. We have great leaders, inspiring teachers & proud students!

Posted October 29, 2009

I have been pleasantly surprised by everything about PHS. I was very apprehensive about sending my son to this school after a terrible experience at Blair (despite the fabulous principal). I even sent him to a charter for one year (another disaster). All of my worry was for naught. The thing that seems to make a difference is to have honors or AP classes. My son started in honors, since he gets As and Bs, and the teachers are excellent. I met all of them at the back-to-school night and I was impressed by their dedication and drive. It is a big school, but the good thing about that is that good kids have plenty of options regarding friends. Yes, there are some bad influences, but that's the case at any school, public or private. I have nothing but optimism regarding PHS; the principal is definitely going in the right direction.

Posted March 7, 2009

I have a student at Pasadena High School and i am very happy to have him there. He has outstanding grades and he is currently taking AP classes. He comes home and does his homework and talks to his friends about how great he is feeling at PHS.

Posted November 23, 2008

I am the parent of a child who attends Pasadena High and I am highly disappointed with everything about this school!!! My child is teased and picked on by students on a daily basis (in front of teachers) and when complained about, nothing is done. There is no support from the teachers or counselors. My child finds it harder and harder to concentrate on school work because he's teased and picked on on a daily basis and knows there is no support to back him up. The teachers are uncaring and the counselors are no better.

Posted October 28, 2008

I have two children at PHS. My son will be graduating in June and my daughter is a sophomore. I have been very happy with the level of instruction that they have received. They are both taking honors and AP level classes. Their teachers have been very dedicated and challenging. Both of my children are in the music program which gives them something to belong to in a large school.

Posted May 13, 2008

As an alumni, I can say that PHS is a decent school to go to. There are some absolutely wonderful teachers who are genuinely interested in their students. I advice students to take advantage of AP and Honors classes offered as these are effective classes to prepare students for college life, and the teachers teaching these classes are true gems.

Posted December 15, 2007

After 5 years of private elementary school it was quite worrying going to PHS. My son is mostly in honors classes and so far we have been pleasantly surprised. Most of his teachers are comprable with the quality of his previous private schools if not better in some cases. The diversity has benefits and the Principal seems to be turning things around. Public education deserves all the help the community can give for the benefit of all.

Posted October 14, 2006

The academics are terrible. All I hear from my child is complaint after complaint about daily situations. The teachers, administration, and students make pasadena high a school that is subpar. Its decline is inevitable.

Posted September 15, 2006

Reading comments about PHS from other parents and students make me wonder if we are talking about the same school! Are there deficiences at PHS? Sure... But what about some of the great things that are going on there? The music program is superb -- although it would be nice if there was more funding. Each year I meet my child's teachers (this is her 3rd year at PHS) and am very impressed with the skill, dedication and energy they exhibit to teach our kids. The AP classes are excellent, and I have watched with pleasure as each year seniors enter a variety of colleges. I say Kudos to PHS, its principal & teachers, and hurray for public education. Let's start thinking about what is right at PHS instead of looking at what might be wrong.

Posted February 27, 2006

The overall academic performance of the school i must admit is subpar. I am a student, not a parent, so i can say from direct experience that the school is lacking in its teachers, books, and offered classes. There are only 3 languages offered; French, Spanish and Armenian, but, you have to already speak armenian to take the class, so that excludes alot of individuals. I would also like to mention that the security is horrible, especially with the recent cuts. We have only 3 guards total in the most hostile school in the Pasadena District. I have seen fights with an excess of 200 individuals involved in which police had to be called to break up. With that said, i would like to mention the Academy programs within the school. The Academies are excellent in that they allow students to learn more about the Arts and future careers.

Posted February 12, 2006

I dont know if it matters but I'm a student from this school but from my expieriance this school has a vast spectrum of people that is quite interesting and I beilieve helpful in later life since honestly everyone in the world arent Ivy leage material. There are a broad choice of special classes such as AP and Honor classes, to about every high school sports. There's also a Visual Arts Acadamy as well as a Graphics Communications one. There's clubs and afterschool programs for the college bound and Regional Occupation Programs for the ones that wanna head straigh for the work force so I really thing you should give it a chance thank you for your time.

Posted January 21, 2005

As an alumni, my spirits were crushed when I enrolled my child. The quality of education and overall campus life has deteriorated from what I experienced 20 years ago. Students suffer from the staff's low morale.
—Submitted by a former student

Posted May 6, 2004

When your child has to put a scowl on her face, while waiting for her carpool, so that she is not harassed, that is wrong. Pasadena district as a whole is poor. To say it is the best in the district isn't saying much. The parent involvement percentage wise is statistically low. There is no real way to attend this school unless you are fortunate enough to get into the Gate program. Even that is questionable. This school district should be ashamed of themselves. You can skew the numbers any way you want but this school and the education is substandard and they should be ashamed to not be offering better. It was the same 25 years ago when my friends attended.

Posted April 13, 2004

My High School child reports to me seeing regular bullying and a few teachers who don't really care for the students. It seems that the principal and his staff are trying hard (which is commendable). However, the school has policies and these should be enforced. I suggest that the school should do its best to attract better quality teachers. My child has very high grades in the school yet the PSAT scores are pathetic. PHS needs to work on preparing its students for university and college.

Posted November 18, 2003

This is the first year my child has attended and so far the experience has been pretty bleak. There appears to be a tremendous discipline problem on campus, as well as high teacher turnover and inadequate security.

This school's

(2012)

5 / 10

4 / 10

API Growth scores over time

Did this school meet the API goal this year?
  • This school did not meet its schoolwide API target for 2013.
  • This school has not yet met the state goal of 800.

API Growth scores by subgroup

Did this school meet all the API goals for student subgroups this year?
  • This school did not meet all student subgroup API targets for 2013

Change from 2012 to 2013
API Statewide Rank
(2012)

5 / 10

API Statewide Rank (2012)

4 / 10

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 25% in 2013.

237 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 65% in 2013.

41 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology/Life Sciences

The state average for Biology/Life Sciences was 58% in 2013.

465 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Earth Science

The state average for Earth Science was 38% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 62% in 2013.

476 students were tested at this school in 2013.

2010

General Mathematics (Grades 6 & 7 Standards)

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 45% in 2013.

195 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Integrated/Coordinated Science I

The state average for Integrated/Coordinated Science I was 26% in 2013.

Physics

The state average for Physics was 38% in 2013.

World History

The state average for World History was 51% in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 13% in 2013.

34 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 39% in 2013.

137 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology/Life Sciences

The state average for Biology/Life Sciences was 41% in 2013.

92 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Chemistry

The state average for Chemistry was 46% in 2013.

378 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Earth Science

The state average for Earth Science was 35% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 52% in 2013.

472 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 15% in 2013.

219 students were tested at this school in 2013.

High School (Summative) Mathematics (Grade 9-11)

52 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 54% in 2013.

470 students were tested at this school in 2013.

World History

The state average for World History was 46% in 2013.

472 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 10% in 2013.

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 15% in 2013.

148 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology/Life Sciences

The state average for Biology/Life Sciences was 51% in 2013.

45 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Chemistry

The state average for Chemistry was 32% in 2013.

98 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Earth Science

The state average for Earth Science was 37% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 48% in 2013.

451 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 8% in 2013.

36 students were tested at this school in 2013.

High School (Summative) Mathematics (Grade 9-11)

158 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Physics

The state average for Physics was 58% in 2013.

265 students were tested at this school in 2013.

U.S. History

The state average for U.S. History was 50% in 2013.

450 students were tested at this school in 2013.

World History

The state average for World History was 19% in 2013.

All Students7%

Parent education - some college (includes AA degree)62%
Parent education - college graduate79%
Parent education - graduate school/post graduate88%
Parent education - declined to state50%

General Mathematics (Grades 6 & 7 Standards)

All Students35%

Parent education - college graduate66%
Parent education - graduate school/post graduate78%
Parent education - declined to state55%

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 83% in 2013.

481 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 84% in 2013.

483 students were tested at this school in 2013.

All Students86%

This school District averageState average
First-year teachers 12%N/AN/A
Source: Civil Rights Data Collection, 2011-2012

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Instructional aide(s)/coach(es)
Foreign languages spoken by school staff Spanish
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab