Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)

My daughter is currently in the 6th grade at Washington Middle School. I actually toured the school when she was in the third grade, prior to the STEAM Magnet program being in place, and was thoroughly impressed with the leadership, teachers, instruction and the beautiful campus. The school has only impressed us even more now that our daughter is enrolled. The campus is safe - I have no fears for my daughter's safety. She is also enrolled in LEARNs and enjoys the enrichment activities, such as Rock Band, that are provided after school. Please note that while the school is now a STEAM campus, the arts are quite alive at this school - a fantastic art teacher, a fabulous music teacher, and a Glee Club that has been on campus and has provided beautiful productions for over 20 years now. WSMA is definitely a GREAT school!

After three years of researching various middle schools in Pasadena, the first choice for my daughter was Washington STEAM Magnet Academy. I cannot say enough good things about this school. My daughter is thriving in all her classes and just as importantly comes home happy, eager to do her work, and loves math (WHAT?)! I am thrilled with the quality of teachers and the high expectations for achievement. The ability of each teacher to differentiate and provide individual students what they need for success is key. Project based learning and collaboration are an important feature of WSMA as well as an abundance of field trips. Outings average about one per month and a four day 6th grade Science Camp in December. (All grades go on one overnight camp per year). I had the luxury of attending a few field trips and now know why my daughter enjoys school. The students and parents are friendly and make for a positive, healthy community. I am so glad our family is a part of this special place... a secret gem tucked into a little hill at the highest point in Pasadena. Don't miss out on visiting one of our STEAM nights— there is fun and learning to be had by all that attend.

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

I have a keen eye for excellence in teaching. The teachers are the main reason we chose WSMA.

Amount of homework: Agree

One of the factors in choosing WSMA was the amount of homework given. My daughter averages about 30-60 min. a day not counting reading. A lot of the work is done or submitted through the computer. The work is quantity, but quality. This leaves more time for extra curricular activities and her love of reading.

Develops character: Strongly agree

It has a safe school ambassador program that teaches student leaders how to help other students make better decisions. They also know the students and families really well so they can follow up with any issues for students.

I am very happy to be part of the Washington STEAM family. This is my son's first year and we have had a great experience. As a Magnet school they receive extra funding for unique STEM activities, classes, trainings and more support staff. You can tell in the innovative programs they offer at the school. The staff is really experienced, have been working together a long time and go above and beyond to help at school events. They have embraced the STEAM theme with unique classes like space and flight and medical detectives, routinely use technology in the classrooms, use a variety of community partners like JPL and Cal Tech, and use hands on learning. They also focus on the students social well being by planning fun spirit rallies, overnight trips for all grades so they can bond and have students trained as safe school ambassadors to help resolve student issues. My son and his capabilities were known by many of the teachers and staff right away so I knew he was in a safe and loving place. My son is very bright and has been challenged by the work so I know he is growing as a student and he made friends right away. The music program is really impressive. They put on a musical every year that is really amazing and have 2 large bands. There is also a great group of involved parents who are supporting the school so I am sure it will only get better. The staff is very approachable and there are also many fun STEAM activities for families. I can see lots of scientists coming out of this school. It really is a treasure and I highly recommend touring .

I am considering WSMA as a possible option for my bright 4th grade son. I am so far very impressed with the safety and cleanliness of the campus, the responsive STEAM staff, the friendly, dynamic, can-do Assistant Principal, and the new PTA president, who is a maverick. Also very happy to know a couple of super involved families who have chosen WSMA for their daughters next year. Will post updates as the year goes on.

We choose this school for the new STEAM (Science Technology Engineering Arts Math) program, which is in its second year. The school is a bit of a work in progress but great things are definitely happening. My 6th grader tells me that he enjoys many of his classes and really likes the teachers and staff - this is from a kid that for years told us that he hated school (and he was at one of the highly regarded, very rigorous pusd elementary schools). There are great teachers and administrators here and as it's a new magnet program, there are also district staff working hard to make the new program a success.

Last modified Washington Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 2 out of 10 based on academic quality.