Pasadena, CA

Posted August 21, 2011
I am a student at Mayfield and have just completed my first year. I moved schools because my former school just wasn't challenging me enough, and when I came to Mayfield, their math program showed my true potential and they moved me up by two math classes so I would finally be at a more fast-paced class, and I was very happy there. The fact that there are so many teachers is really wonderful because you can learn to deal with the different standards of teachers and get ready for high school. My only two complaints would be these; Like a parent said on Apirl 26, 2005, there are many high-income families that put pressure on many students and families. My second complaint is that sometimes parents don't get the full benefit of seeing all of their childrens' test scores because some of the teachers do not let the tests go home, and sometimes the teachers do not even let the child see the test, which is bad because the child does not know what they did wrong on the test and therefore cannot fix their mstakes so they have a better understanding of the subject. (Thuas happened to me many times)

Mayfield Junior School 2

Posted September 09, 2009

Posted March 10, 2009
My only experience with Mayfield is in the Middle School grades and I have nothing but praise for this school. The school provides a very nice balance of nurturing and academically challenging a student. This makes for well prepared and happy students.

Posted February 04, 2009
Our son attends the lower grades at Mayfield Junior School and we have truly loved the experience. The teachers take a true interest in him and want the best for him. Communication between school and home is excellent. I work in education myself and can truly say that MJS is the best I have ever experienced. The school combines the values of a Christian education with quality academic experiences. There is a family feel to this school and everyone looks out for each other. There is diversity here as well, kindness, compassion, and leading by example. We expect our younger daughter to attend in two years time as well. We are very happy to be here.

Mayfield Junior School 0

Posted June 09, 2008
Understanding what you want for your child is the most important criteria in the selection of a primary school. Ours was to seek a balance between a religious foundation, academics, and sports. Our child attended Mayfield Junior (k-8th grade). MJS follows the philosophy of the Holy Child and we felt that this was the most important element (academics was second). While MJS is not Poly or Chandler (nor do they do pretend to be) they offered advanced Math (in Geometry) beginning in 7th grade to a group of advanced students. By 9th grade, she was ready for Algebra II & Trig (Honors). Our child was accepted at every competitive high school in the area (and LA too). She is now at a liberal private high school with a rigorous curriculum... she is at the top of her class. More importantly, she takes with her Catholic values and wonderful memories of MJS.

Mayfield Junior School 3

Posted April 20, 2008
Good school for middle to high-middle students. Those with special needs or requiring a more challenging curriculum will be better served elsewhere. Head of school retiring, so changes may be in the offing. Math program not as strong as it could be.

Posted March 11, 2008
Our two children attend MJS and we have been associated with the school for over ten years. The academic program is one of the best in the entire city, providing challenge while also supporting children of differing abilities. Parents are initially attracted by the excellent faculty, who are both caring and experienced, but what they grow to love is the entire Mayfield community. The other parents are truly kind, embodying Catholic values, and there is a strong desire to help other families and children have a great experience as well as a strong emphasis on outreach and helping those less fortunate. This program has fostered our children's emotional, physical, and spiritual health while also providing an appropriate level of academic challenge.

Posted April 20, 2007
My daughter attends MJS, the teachers, staff and students are top quality across the board, every teacher and aid has a BA/S and after 5 years incouraged to get a Masters. High teacher compensation attracts top teachers in the area. Very involved families make for a great school community.

Posted May 25, 2006
MJS is an excellent school. High parental involvement and good communication between school and parents. Challenging environment for the academic development and good support. The wholesome growth of each individual student is focused through many different curricular activities. Quality music, art, sports, drama production and etc. is part of their regular curricula. There is no doubt that MJS is one of the very few best private schools (among countless) in Pasadena area.

Posted January 31, 2006
MJS is entering their 75th year (founded 1931) of providing the best elementary education in the Pasadena/San Gabriel Valley. Almost all teachers have masters, and some have PhD's. Extensive academic curriculum, sports and arts. Large field, gymnasium, auditorium, music rooms, language labs, science labs, library, and art rooms are some of the best facilities in the area. What is most impressive is the attention to the individual student. They treat each child as reaching his/her academic potential individually. MJS recognizes that it should not create an elementary school environment that solely focuses on intense academic competition. These are kids, after all. So, MJS balances academic preparation with a very supportive, christian environment. As a parent, I appreciate the Catholic moral founcation and discipline the school provides in this increasingly secular world.

Mayfield Junior School