K-8|Private

Bad
Good

I typically do not review, but I feel an ethical obligation to do so with MJS. The school has positives such as nurturing staff, beautiful facilities, small class sizes, & some nice families. Our main concern, was the the BULLYING experience our child endured which included verbal insults on the daily & physical abuse/ bullying by another child. The physical included slapping, pushing, spitting etc.. MJS is very negligent, in that they do not have a clear anti- bullying policy in their handbook, & therefore discipline is spotty/ inconsistent. Despite our best efforts to remedy the situation, & we were not alone in these concerns -we pulled our child out after one year. Over the year, we talked to the Teacher, Head of School, brainstormed with school Psychologist, & some parents and found our experience was not isolated. Our child is easy going, but the soft discipline style coupled with monied families, some narcisstic children/ families, high tuition, & lack of rigor academically we left MJS. We know attend our local public school that we had demonized & realize we appreciate the professionalism & clarity when it comes to security/ safety of our child. Academically we found our public school to be more rigorous, & paid a tutor to bring our child up to par with the local public schools in Math/English. Public schools have standards with common core & rigor with testing/ accountability. I am shocked that I never sat with the parents whose children were abusive & that there was never a real consequence, this was a disservice to us & the bullying children. In a monied environment, lack of clarity of consequence/ overly nurturing environment -children learn to manipulate & get away with bad behavior. I have a spiritual approach to life & regret not talking to the Mothers directly about their children's behavior , because the school is paralyzed in dealing with bullying, but we were a new family & we were trying to fit in & navigate the environment. My son is resilient, loving, smart, and sweet and he know has learned about bullies, how one should be treated, and how one should treat others. We want our children to be happy, relaxed, joyful, and look forward to school everyday and today we have that gift. Just because a school has prestige, be critical, and realize you have other options. A safe & happy child will make for a successful school career.

Develops character: Strongly agree

Great middle school. Acedemics are strong, after school, sports and extra curicular activities are very good. My son has enjoyed his time therre.

I am a student at Mayfield and have just completed my first year. I moved schools because my former school just wasn't challenging me enough, and when I came to Mayfield, their math program showed my true potential and they moved me up by two math classes so I would finally be at a more fast-paced class, and I was very happy there. The fact that there are so many teachers is really wonderful because you can learn to deal with the different standards of teachers and get ready for high school. My only two complaints would be these; Like a parent said on Apirl 26, 2005, there are many high-income families that put pressure on many students and families. My second complaint is that sometimes parents don't get the full benefit of seeing all of their childrens' test scores because some of the teachers do not let the tests go home, and sometimes the teachers do not even let the child see the test, which is bad because the child does not know what they did wrong on the test and therefore cannot fix their mstakes so they have a better understanding of the subject. (Thuas happened to me many times)

My only experience with Mayfield is in the Middle School grades and I have nothing but praise for this school. The school provides a very nice balance of nurturing and academically challenging a student. This makes for well prepared and happy students.

Our son attends the lower grades at Mayfield Junior School and we have truly loved the experience. The teachers take a true interest in him and want the best for him. Communication between school and home is excellent. I work in education myself and can truly say that MJS is the best I have ever experienced. The school combines the values of a Christian education with quality academic experiences. There is a family feel to this school and everyone looks out for each other. There is diversity here as well, kindness, compassion, and leading by example. We expect our younger daughter to attend in two years time as well. We are very happy to be here.

Understanding what you want for your child is the most important criteria in the selection of a primary school. Ours was to seek a balance between a religious foundation, academics, and sports. Our child attended Mayfield Junior (k-8th grade). MJS follows the philosophy of the Holy Child and we felt that this was the most important element (academics was second). While MJS is not Poly or Chandler (nor do they do pretend to be) they offered advanced Math (in Geometry) beginning in 7th grade to a group of advanced students. By 9th grade, she was ready for Algebra II & Trig (Honors). Our child was accepted at every competitive high school in the area (and LA too). She is now at a liberal private high school with a rigorous curriculum... she is at the top of her class. More importantly, she takes with her Catholic values and wonderful memories of MJS.

Good school for middle to high-middle students. Those with special needs or requiring a more challenging curriculum will be better served elsewhere. Head of school retiring, so changes may be in the offing. Math program not as strong as it could be.

Our two children attend MJS and we have been associated with the school for over ten years. The academic program is one of the best in the entire city, providing challenge while also supporting children of differing abilities. Parents are initially attracted by the excellent faculty, who are both caring and experienced, but what they grow to love is the entire Mayfield community. The other parents are truly kind, embodying Catholic values, and there is a strong desire to help other families and children have a great experience as well as a strong emphasis on outreach and helping those less fortunate. This program has fostered our children's emotional, physical, and spiritual health while also providing an appropriate level of academic challenge.

My daughter attends MJS, the teachers, staff and students are top quality across the board, every teacher and aid has a BA/S and after 5 years incouraged to get a Masters. High teacher compensation attracts top teachers in the area. Very involved families make for a great school community.

Last modified Mayfield Junior School is a Private school that serves grades K-8