K-8|Private

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

My children have had incredible teachers at Chandler. They are caring and have inspired their love of learning.

Amount of homework: Agree

My kids never spent an unreasonable amount of time doing homework while at Chandler. They are given study hall time to begin homework at school. Students who do not use that time wisely may end up having more work at home than they should. Doing homework gives the children an opportunity to reinforce what they've learned and to work independently.

Develops character: Strongly agree

Chandler prioritizes character development in their students and teach from kindergarten all the way through 8th grade what they call the 6 pillars of character, which are Trustworthiness, Respect, Responsibility, Fairness, Caring and Citizenship. The pillars of character are continually reinforced at every grade level.

I have 3 children - 2 were Chandler lifers (attended K - 8) and my youngest will be entering 7th grade in the fall (and has been there since kindergarten). When I applied my oldest to Chandler, I knew it would be a perfect fit for him. He was the type of kid who needed a lot of structure and to be challenged academically in order to be engaged. As expected, he loved the school, the teachers, administration and the program. When it was time to send my 2nd son to Chandler, I wasn't positive the fit would be right for him - he's so different from his brother, more of a free spirit. He not only thrived at Chandler, he excelled in unexpected ways. I have to give a shout out to Mr. Calderon, the 7th grade science teacher, who inspired a love of science in my son which has continued to high school. He even plans to major in science in college thanks to Mr. Cal. My youngest, again very different from her brothers, is also having an incredible experience. Chandler offers a broad range of academic opportunities - the best Spanish program in the area, inspiring science teachers, an early adopter of the STEAM (science, technology, engineering, art and math) projects and theater productions that rival those put on by high schools. My children have learned to work collaboratively, think independently and my older 2 were more than well prepared for high school. Speaking of which, Anneke Emerson, Assistant Head of School, is a genius at high school placement. She really gets to know the students and their strengths and does her very best to match them up with the high school where they will flourish. The only parents who are disappointed with their children's high school placement coming out of Chandler had unrealistic expectations about where their child belonged. John Finch, Head of School, is above all else, an educator to his core. His own love of learning informs all decisions made at school. He is thoughtful, kind and caring - an all around great leader. If not yet apparent, I think Chandler is a phenomenal school, and I feel fortunate that my children have had such a positive elementary school experience.

Unpleasant environment with useless administration. Many bad teachers overshadow the fewer good ones. Community of obnoxious parents with their mean kids. 5 out of 5 for Music and Theater. 2 out of 5 for Math. 5 out of 5 for Spanish. 3 out of 5 for English. 3 out of 5 for Science. 4 out of 5 for Art. Save your money and send your child to a more pleasant place that will do better job of high school placement.

I went to Chandler for 7th and 8th grade, and I have to admit I did learn a lot. However, the amount of stress I experienced daily was immense. I would get stomach cramps because of this stress. I know I'm not the only one to experienced immense amounts of stress due to school. In 7th grade, the teachers would make it so there would not be too much homework on one night. However in 8th grade, it's VERY different, and the homework load is a lot worse, which of course is expected to prepare us for high school. A few things I actually liked about Chandler was the community and the electives.

I graduated from Chandler in the 80's and have only wonderful things to say about my experiences there. Not long ago I attended a reunion and was able to catch up with most of my classmates. They have gone on to do amazing things in life! Many of them have successful and fulfilling careers as doctors, authors, musicians, scientists, educators, artists, and business leaders. My son currently attends Chandler and he loves it. The core values that I experienced as a student are still intact. The campus and facilities are integrated with the latest technologies and are practically brand new. Plus, the teachers, principal, and staff are fantastic! Classes in the middle school are small, around 15 kids per class. We are very fortunate to be a part of this school!

I attended this school for 6th-8th grades in the late 90s and I continue to benefit from my experiences at Chandler. In fact, my wife was a classmate there, and we have more than a handful of close friends who we keep in excellent touch with almost 20 years later. The best education I received, the best friends I've made, the most fun I had in school. Period.

We have had 2 lifers that went through the Chandler School,with the youngest one in its Middle School right now and have loved and appreciated what Chandler has done to prepare our kids for high school and college . We are perplexed with a recent parent review attacking the head of Middle School and her failure to "place 4.0 students" into high school. This past June, Chandler graduated its largest class ever of 77 students. While less than a handful of students that were not placed and some maybe 4.0 students, to state that Mrs. Emerson is "useless" is harsh and unfounded. There are no guaranties that a student will be placed in any school based purely on grades. Mrs. Emerson's job is to advise students and parents to keep an open mind and apply to schools that is suited for the child. The fault should not be placed on her, if families insist on applying only to the top schools and refuse to take her recommendation on other schools. Having only being in the position for 2 years, Mrs. Emerson is doing a good job and should be commended. Chandler is not a school for every child or family and it may not be the perfect school, but it is one of the best in the area!

Chandler School is an outstanding environment for students and adults alike. The community is warm, the students are bright and engaged, and the campus is beautiful. Chandler teachers are responsive to students and their parents, and are constantly seeking new ways to engage students and build within them a love for learning. The alumni body is a group of successful people of high character who benefited from the rigor of Chandler's program. Visit the school and learn about the program. Chandler is more than just a vessel for high school placement, it is a transformative experience for students, teachers, and parents.

Last modified Chandler School is a Private school that serves grades K-8