Perris, CA

Avalon Elementary School 1

Posted June 10, 2015
My children have attended this school for 3years and each year there has been issues. The bullying is unbelievably high and you would assume it only came from the kids but unfortunately it comes from the staff and teachers and especially the principal Mrs. Roughton. I have gone to speak to the principal about the issues and she has done nothing in every occasion. She is afraid of writing and filing official paperwork so that it doesn't reflect badly on the school. She has verbally insulted the students calling them "animals" and when confronted by myself and my husband, she denied everything. We told her we had other children and staff that corroborated with what we were told by our student, she wanted names but unfortunately we did not want to jeopardize any staff losing their jobs. We went to the district and got an appointment to speak to the superintendent and the district gave us a meeting with Mr.McCormick at the time. We spoke to him about all our concerns and he saidnhe would look into it. We continued to have problems when older children began bullying our child to the point of not wanting to go to school and spending their lunch time in the nurses office with a "headache". NOTHING WAS DONE. The principal took those kids recessed away and that was the extent of the punishment. The problem continued and actually progressed to threats of heads being cut off. Again I found myself in the principals office and she proceeds to inform me that the student in question had personal problems at home with specifics of the child's personal life. She was very unprofessional in telling me about the child's personal life at home in detail. I asked for a meeting with the kids parents in her office with her and she assured me she would handle it. Again NOTHING was done and I began to ask other parents and it turned out that I was not the only one making complaints. The staff is afraid to speak out in fear of losing their job, the principal is inaquedate and they have no tact for dealing with children (which is a shame since they work at a SCHOOL. THE DISTRICT has done nothing. Apparently the principal has a sibling that works in the district so...... Needles to say there's more but soon it will be seen as we as parents are tired of the injustices and will seek changes.Take your kids elsewhere for school.

Teacher effectiveness: Somewhat effective

Posted June 10, 2015
There are some great teachers who take their job seriously and others who just see at as any customer service employment who do the bare minimum to get the kids by with.

Develops respect: Strongly disagree

Posted June 10, 2015
Children deserve respect in order to know how to give respect. The principal has no respect for her students and has verbally insulted them.

Develops empathy: Strongly disagree

Posted June 10, 2015
The principal and staff allow bullying and the extent of any punishment is taking recess away.

Develops honesty: Strongly disagree

Posted June 10, 2015
In order to develop any of these aspects in students, the principal and staff should posses the qualities themselves and unfortunately that's not the case at this school.

Avalon Elementary School 2

Posted November 23, 2014
I was happy when my son first started kindergarten this year however, a few weeks later my son was being bullied as well as a few other boys. I went to his teacher and principal and not much changed and the bullying continued. It's sad the first year of school for a child to go thru this situation and for the school to not take any action. I will say my son enjoys school and his teacher is really nice. However, I am not sure I will enroll my son there again next year.

Avalon Elementary School 4

Posted July 30, 2013
This school is a great stater for kids. My daughter loved Kinder and has thrived and learned a lot, she will now be in 2nd grade. My son is now anxious to start K here this year. She has really learned a lot. The principal is involved and caring. Their are activites throughout the year to help community involvement and the kids feel connected. Communication in K was great, not so great in 1st and we missed some of these activites. They learn a lot in school, but could do better really focusing on small details, or tutoring programs, EVEN if the kids are ahead and advanced. I feel my kids could really excel if they had the chance, but because of the no child left behind they said they wont advance them just for reading or help them move ahead of the other classmates, which is frustrating as a parent and with a nephew who is moved to a special reading class and has advanced 3 grades for reading at a different school. We also wish the school website was up kept better with information and updates. Schedules, etc. Overall we are happy with this school, we were very nervous to find a good school in the Perris community but found one here at Avalon.

Posted January 06, 2011
This school is amazing! My daughter hated going to school until she started Kindergarten here. Now she is excited to be learning to read, and can't wait to practice her sight words every night.

Posted February 01, 2010
My children attended avalon last year before we moved. We are now using avalon as a point of interest for buying a house in the area.

Posted October 29, 2008
Awesome school with great spirit and pride! Principle, staff, students and parents all A+!

1815 East Rider Street, Perris, CA  92571
Last modified Avalon Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Avalon Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 20 reviews. Top