No rating

St. James Catholic School

Private | K-8 | 182 students

Living in Perris

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $130,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $980.

Posted August 21, 2013

My 2 boys came from public school before they went to St James last year. Even though it is free at the public school, we chose to pay in a catholic school because of the quality of education. My kids were "A " students in public school and when they went to St . James, we realized how much behind they were in academics. We are so glad we decided to take them to this school. The school maybe old , but we just started last year and you can see some changes as months pass by. It is visible how all the staff with the leadership of the principal Mrs Lara and parent volunteers, work hard to make the school great. Everytime you go to the office, they know you and your kids name , it is a very tight family oriented school. Students are academically and spiritually guided and love the fact that they have school mass every Wednesday ,which is so great. Both kids and us parents are very happy of being at St. James, we just regret we could have started them here earlier. We highly recommend this school to parents who are concern of their kid's future .

Posted July 20, 2012

I only give four stars because the school is old & we are still trying to fix it up.My children went here & my grandchildren. One just graduated after 9 years the other has been there 8. We have the best principle Mrs. Lara, she works very hard to get the best supplies & new books.Everybody pretty much knows everybody. They have Faith families where the older children look out for the little ones

Posted June 11, 2012

My child attended a public school from pre-k thru 2nd grade and I can tell you what a huge improvement St. James Catholic School is in comparison to public school. One of the things that I love about St. James is that because it is a small school students get to know teachers, staff, and all other students very well. Also, as a parent I was used to just being another parent when I walked in a school office but here they know you by name as well as your child. There are many great opportunities for parent involvement throughout the year. Oh, and I definitely love that each teacher has a webpage where parents can access homework assignments as well as important upcoming events. On the downside the facilities are a bit old but they have been working hard making upgrades they do have a newly renovated kitchen, computer lab, and library *** I have to be honest and say that this school is not equipped to handle students with special needs (IEP's) their resources in this area are very limited***

Posted June 2, 2011

My oldest daughter has attended this school from Kindergarten to 8th Grade (2011). She has been an honor roll student for many years. She has excelled in math, English, spelling and writing. St. James encourages children to participate in class presentations from Kindergarten through 8th grade; which is a great asset in life. My daughter has been accepted into a public high school with high academic standards and will be taking advanced classes. If you want your child to succeed, parents must be involved in every aspect of their children's education. St. James has always been good in communicating with parents when children are struggling. It is up to the parents to assist them in overcoming the barriers that are holding them back.

Posted May 10, 2010

regardless of what school your child attends its your responsibility to see that your child does their work, can read, is not disruptive to others and that you contribute to the overall environment by participating. parents who depend on teachers or staff to raise their children by not only educating them but teaching them manners or moral character are the type of people who have children wth issues both scholastically and socially. this school and the parents who consistently contribute to guide this school are doing an excellent job. most parents take responsibility, faith and education seriously by taking ownership & accountability for the success/failure of their children rather than blame everyone/thing around. it is a safe school with a community environment based on faith...every child is part of one big family

Posted March 9, 2010

The last comment If a child is not performing to its capacity it's not the teachers fault but the parents lack of involvement. UNTRUE!! This school has NO resources! There is a part time resource teacher who is sent a handful of students (at least 5 at a time from my knowledge) possibly 2x per week. Also the size of this so-called resource room is the same size as a walk in closet. The poor teacher doesn t even have enough room to work with the kids. However this is a private school and they do not get the funding they need to provide ANY child with ANY extra resources that they might need.

Posted September 17, 2009

based on my experience I believe that the shcool is doing a great job. The principle is always available to answer any concerns or any suggestion that parents may have. The level of education is superior; both of my kids are doing wounderful in every subject. If a child is not performing to its capacity it's not the teachers fault but the parents lack of involvement.

Posted August 13, 2009

One of the few Catholic Schools with a religious order present in the school! The school has many lovely Catholic traditions and a supportive Pastor. A jewel in the rough.

Posted February 5, 2008

St. James offers a safe school environment with helpful teachers.

Posted December 4, 2006

Last year the school had a more Christian atmosphere. Both of my kids did very well. With the change in principals, the school has not lived up to its Faith base. The students do not show a Christian Community atmosphere.

Posted March 6, 2006

Great school to start your kid in.
—Submitted by a former student

Posted February 21, 2006

Poor quality teachers. Principal is never available to address issues. School is reluctant to parental involvement. 8th graders ill equipt for high school. Teach to the lowest level.

Posted October 6, 2005

Quality of education is substandard, teach to the lowest level. Interference in parental relationships. Use extreme caution when considering St. James.

Posted August 17, 2005

We have Kindergartener,2nd,4th,5th,6th graders in 2005. The open court reading program is excellent.The teachers very caring and informative. The small school is a wonderful family enviroment. There is after school sports,and the parent involvement is very high. The science fair is my favorite event along many more.

Posted May 14, 2004

St. James is a wonderful school. My son has learned so much in his 1st grade class this year. Ms. Earhart is a great teacher. The staff and volunteers are very loving people. We are moving and I will miss this school so much.

Posted November 22, 2003

I guess perhaps as a former student at St. James I'm more qualified than my parents to say that this was a great school. I was in the second 8th grade class to graduate in 1969. I only attended St. James for my 7th and 8th grade years but those were the best! I had gone from being a C/D/F student to an A/B student under the care and love of Mother de Chantel. If your child gets a chance to experience a teacher like that you are more than lucky! I hope that the Sisters of Mercy are still actively involved in education at St. James. They are what made the experience wonderful!

Posted November 13, 2003

I thought it was a good school for my two daughters

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

Affiliation
  • Roman catholic
Associations
  • NCEA

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious

• Computer lab
  • Library
Partnerships with local resources and organizations
  • Diocese of San Bernardino

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

250 West 3rd Street