Posted March 11, 2015
Ellerhorst Elementary school is full of wonderful parents, students and staff. It is a beautiful learning environment for our children, It is thanks to the amazing work of our teachers and principal that made it all possible. It has gotten even better in the last year.

Posted March 10, 2015
I am just thrilled with the new principle at Ellerhorst. I would never have guessed what a difference a principle can make. I was considering leaving for a charter school but have decided to stay after seeing his commitment to the school this year.

Posted March 10, 2015
Ellerhorst Elementary is a great school. Although this site says that their API rating is 799 the are actually rated by the state at 804. I checked. My son and daughter attend kindergarten and second grade and it has been an excellent experience. The Principal, Mr. Carr, genuinely cares and is working very hard at making this an exceptional school. He constantly demonstrates how much he cares and how important a great education is for our kids. The school has a very active PTA and a Dad's club that is constantly doing improvement projects, movie nights and numerous other events to further enrich the experience for our children. My son and daughter enjoy going to this school and I can see in their progress and substantial homework that Ellerhorst is providing a solid foundation for them to build on for the rest of their lives!

Posted March 09, 2015
My oldest has been at Ellerhorst K-5 and my youngest K-2. We are moving so won't be there next year. The principal, Mr. Carr, is so great, really nice with the kids and parents, and not stressed and about to burn out like what is common for this job! The only reason I give it 4 instead of 5 is because there isn't an after-school program. I know Mr.Carr is working on that though because he would like to see it happen. Ellerhorst has an amazing PTA. Two of the cool things they fund are a bus to Sacramento for 4th graders, and the 5th grade Mission to Mars field trip. There are always interesting projects going on at Ellerhorst because the teachers are very creative and excellent at getting grants! Like the giant map that the 5th/6th graders teach to the younger kids; hatching live trout; organic garden; class pets; pen pal programs; plays; musicals; talent show; assemblies; learning folk dances; and lots more. It's a great school!!!

Posted November 11, 2014
My kids are in 1st & 3rd grade at Ellerhorst. This is their first year there. Their previous schools were rated at 10 out of 10 on greatschools.org. Personally, I think Ellershorst deserves at 10! The new principal (Mr. Carr) is exceptional and has a phenomenal rapport with the kids. He warmly greets parents everyday during drop-off/pick-up. My favorite part of Ellerhorst is drop-off/pick-up. The norm for this school is: parents park their cars along the sidewalk outside the school's fence and walk their kids in. I'm part of the PTA which is super organized - parents there are committed to serving Ellerhorst. My husband is part of the Dad's Club - amazing dads eager to help with whatever is needed. The ladies at the front office are patient with parents & super helpful. My kids' teachers are exceptional - gifted at what they do. They welcome parent involvement & are sensitive to their students' needs. They are excellent leaders in their classrooms. The school's play yard faces a big hill full of trees - so beautiful. Beats a congested city-view of skyscrapers or a busy intersection. Ellerhorst is an excellent school! No complaints here.

Posted October 28, 2014
It's a great school they have a lot of parent involvement grade teachers great principle

Posted October 20, 2014
My son started Kindergarten this year and we both really enjoy our experience at Ellerhorst. The newest principal, Mr. Carr, started in Aug/Sep 2014 and is very accessible and approachable. I called with a concern and he acted promptly with a solution. He also stands in front of the school each morning to greet students and parents, at which time he will answer any questions or concerns. There is a PTA, as well as a Dad's Club so parent involvement is high. Another thing we enjoy are the family activities. They school has family movie night, holiday festivities, and other events. His teacher ensures reading and writing at a high level, and I've seen his growth in just a couple of months. Parking and car access is very limited and too small for the size of students, but that's the least of my worries. So far, I'm very happy with the school and the education my son is receiving.

Posted April 10, 2014
The new principal lacks understanding for special needs students. This school has 3 self contained special education classes and 1 resource program. The principal struggles to understand these students. Considering the amount of special needs students at this school the district should have provided a principal with more background in special education. There are several areas she needs to improve on. In general the principal is new and overwhelmed. She seems there to serve the district needs and not always the schools needs. Should would better serve a different school with different demographics. The PTA is fabulous. The teachers are fabulous. They hold the school together. On a side note the principal released one of the best teachers on campus. (a special ed teacher) No one knows why. The teacher is wonderful and now another school will get her and love her.

Posted March 17, 2014
I love this school. There are a lot of parents that put a lot of their own time to volunteer and participate in the school.

Posted February 09, 2014
The 4 th grade teacher is amazing! She has a unique approach to conflict resolution which helps these kids at this very impressionable age. Since moving to this school my daughter has improved in her academics and I just can't say enough good things. The Principal engages with all of the children and she gets to know them. Im so we made the choice to move! Great school!!!

Ellerhorst Elementary School
3501 Pinole Valley Road, Pinole, CA  94564
Last modified Ellerhorst Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Ellerhorst Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 68 reviews. Top