Posted November 11, 2014
My kids are in 1st & 3rd grade at Ellerhorst. This is their first year there. Their previous schools were rated at 10 out of 10 on greatschools.org. Personally, I think Ellershorst deserves at 10! The new principal (Mr. Carr) is exceptional and has a phenomenal rapport with the kids. He warmly greets parents everyday during drop-off/pick-up. My favorite part of Ellerhorst is drop-off/pick-up. The norm for this school is: parents park their cars along the sidewalk outside the school's fence and walk their kids in. I'm part of the PTA which is super organized - parents there are committed to serving Ellerhorst. My husband is part of the Dad's Club - amazing dads eager to help with whatever is needed. The ladies at the front office are patient with parents & super helpful. My kids' teachers are exceptional - gifted at what they do. They welcome parent involvement & are sensitive to their students' needs. They are excellent leaders in their classrooms. The school's play yard faces a big hill full of trees - so beautiful. Beats a congested city-view of skyscrapers or a busy intersection. Ellerhorst is an excellent school! No complaints here.

Posted October 28, 2014
It's a great school they have a lot of parent involvement grade teachers great principle

Posted October 20, 2014
My son started Kindergarten this year and we both really enjoy our experience at Ellerhorst. The newest principal, Mr. Carr, started in Aug/Sep 2014 and is very accessible and approachable. I called with a concern and he acted promptly with a solution. He also stands in front of the school each morning to greet students and parents, at which time he will answer any questions or concerns. There is a PTA, as well as a Dad's Club so parent involvement is high. Another thing we enjoy are the family activities. They school has family movie night, holiday festivities, and other events. His teacher ensures reading and writing at a high level, and I've seen his growth in just a couple of months. Parking and car access is very limited and too small for the size of students, but that's the least of my worries. So far, I'm very happy with the school and the education my son is receiving.

Ellerhorst Elementary School 4

Posted April 10, 2014
The new principal lacks understanding for special needs students. This school has 3 self contained special education classes and 1 resource program. The principal struggles to understand these students. Considering the amount of special needs students at this school the district should have provided a principal with more background in special education. There are several areas she needs to improve on. In general the principal is new and overwhelmed. She seems there to serve the district needs and not always the schools needs. Should would better serve a different school with different demographics. The PTA is fabulous. The teachers are fabulous. They hold the school together. On a side note the principal released one of the best teachers on campus. (a special ed teacher) No one knows why. The teacher is wonderful and now another school will get her and love her.

Posted March 17, 2014
I love this school. There are a lot of parents that put a lot of their own time to volunteer and participate in the school.

Posted February 09, 2014
The 4 th grade teacher is amazing! She has a unique approach to conflict resolution which helps these kids at this very impressionable age. Since moving to this school my daughter has improved in her academics and I just can't say enough good things. The Principal engages with all of the children and she gets to know them. Im so we made the choice to move! Great school!!!

Ellerhorst Elementary School 3

Posted October 27, 2013
Ellerhorst has a new principal this year. She seems overwhelmed. Her interaction with staff, parents, and students is not what it was with the former principal. I agree that the RSP teacher should be meeting with students more often. I have had many parents come to me wishing the old principal was back because of her involvement in the school. Halloween wasnot the same without her.

Posted October 02, 2013
I'd like to say that as of this year 2013 a great new principle has taken charge. She is very respondent to students and families. The school had wonderful parent involvement, which benefits because of the lack of school funding in this area. Unfortunately, the learning center teacher (Ms. Shea) is horrible. If you have a student in her class, make sure to keep up on what your child is doing (or not doing for that matter) I'm hoping they rid of this bad apple so children falling behind will actually excel.

Ellerhorst Elementary School 3

Posted May 31, 2013
Ellerhorst has gone done downhill. Their is not teacher consistency. The principle finally was asked to leave after years of being completely not proactive and allowing many problems to continue (like poor teachers). There is no new principle and there are several grades w/out a perm. teacher. Parent involvement is fantastic and is what keeps the school going.

Posted August 16, 2011
We love Ellerhorst!!! My son attended Collins Elementary School for K, although he had an Amazing Teacher, Ellerhorst OUTSHINES by far!!! Academically advanced, Teachers are more enthusiastic and spirited. Their programs are far more advanced and just walking on campus makes you feel good! Ms. Smythe is Amazing for 1st grade and I definitely recommend anyone searching for a school to choose Ellerhorst if you are able! My youngest can not wait to attend this school either! Become a Rattler, you won't regret it :)

Ellerhorst Elementary School
3501 Pinole Valley Road, Pinole, CA  94564
Last modified Ellerhorst Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Ellerhorst Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 64 reviews. Top