Placentia, CA

Posted June 14, 2015
My son just completed Preppy K and has learned so much. He is more then ready for Kindergarten. The program is amazing and the teachers are even better. We had Mrs. Gomez for the year and I volunteered through out the year. She was so good with the children and has so much patients and love for them. I highly recommend her and will be putting my daughter in their program too! Danielle Floriano

Van Buren Elementary School 1

Posted March 15, 2015
Old buildings, a principle that doesn't seem to get it, outdated playgrounds and cafeteria.....sorry school

Van Buren Elementary School 4

Posted May 14, 2011
My children attend VBE. Our best years have been K,1, and 3. All of the students participated in stage performances. All teachers were professional, kind, and understanding. Second grade for one of my kids was difficult because of an inflexible teacher, but I was spared her the next year. The new principal was very understanding and helpful with placement. Fourth grade has been a very challenging year. With NO good options for placement, I tried to transfer schools. This year, my child was saddled with worksheets, no instruction, and learned how to knit. I will not be able to have another year like this year. I would hate to let two bad experiences sway my opinion of Van Buren. Teachers here truly care about education and participate in extra curricular activities such as the talent show and family nights. Next year, a sixth grade science camp is starting. A new recycling program began this year to teach the importance of recycling and raise funds run by one teacher. A new garden was planted this year by all grade levels. Thank you Van Buren staff for making this a school that I am glad to have my children attend.

Van Buren Elementary School 4

Posted March 21, 2011
I am a parent of a student of this school and I have to agree with a few of the previous posts on this school. I agree that this school cares about the children in this school and I give credit to the new principal, Ken Valburg. I have 2 children, 1 of shich is already an adult and went through a private school education and now that my child is in this school I must says that Mr. Valburg is by far the best principal I have come across in all my experiences. I must say though that there are a few teachers that as the parent explained in a previous post that do not seem to care about children and seem to be heartless. Thankfully not this year! Other than that, it's a great school!!

Posted October 12, 2010
The school is very concerned with the students well being and teachers work to address students individuals needs.

Van Buren Elementary School 2

Posted August 23, 2010
We were very disappointed with several teachers at Van Buren. They seemed to do the bare minimum. Many of the teachers at this school are cold and don't seem to truly love children. I observed one teacher roll her eyes at my son when he asked a question. Communication was lacking. Thankfully this school has a wonderful new principal that will hopefully get some of the teachers motivated. He may be exactly what Van Buren needs.

Posted April 30, 2010
Great school, teachers are very connected to the students.

Posted August 21, 2008
All three of my children have attended Van Buren Elementary School and two are now in College and the thrid is in 6th grade this year. Not only have my children attended this school but their dad did and so did his brother. This is an amazing school with caring and educated teachers. I'm going to miss the school once my 6th grader moves on to Middle school next year. I would highly reccomend this school to anyone. Also their after care program is one of the best.

Posted January 09, 2008
This school is lacking in many many things. The PTA is small and inefective. They raise very little money- and do not supplement the science, art or PE programs as with other public schools in California. The school environment is detached- no sense of community. We also had problems with a bully. Van Buren may have a blue ribbon award- but it is not great.

Posted October 12, 2006
Van Buren is an awesome school. My daughter 'graduated' to Kraemer Middle School last year. My son is in 4th grade. The PTA is small, but very active. The PTA president is awesome! Academics are challenging. 6th grade was tough for my daughter, but it may middle school academics a lot easier to tackle!

1245 North Van Buren Street, Placentia, CA  92870
Last modified Van Buren Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Van Buren Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 16 reviews. Top