Playa del Rey, CA

Posted April 15, 2014
I have a child who attends this school and my wife and I are both highly satisfied with the teachers and the administrators. The teachers my son has had since K have all been very attentive and their feedback has always been spot-on (which indicates that they really know our child). What makes this an excellent, rather than a very good, school is the PTO- the dedicated parents who serve on the PTO do an amazing job fundraising, running events, and communicating with families via email announcements. Principal Sullivan also gets high marks from us for being very friendly, approachable, and empathetic. One bit of constructive criticism: some of the ladies in the front office should make an effort to be friendlier. They're often the first people visitors to the school encounter and you only have one shot at making a good first impression.

Posted April 12, 2014
This school is awesome! I have a first grader at Paseo del Rey and she rates the school as a 10/10 every day. She has an awesome first grade teacher, she has a class full of friends, enjoys the variety of after school class such as cooking and rock star. She is constantly making connections to what she has learned in school to real life situations. We feel blessed to be here.

Posted March 18, 2014
I have a kindergartners and a first grader in Paseo and I am a believer. Our older daughter did private school for Transitional Kinder and Kinder, but we decided to move both children to Los Angeles Unified once the younger one was able to attend kinder. We have been so impressed with the school. There is a very active and committed parent organization. The principal and teachers are excellent and very committed to educating the children academically and in their character. Kids are granted leadership opportunities (student government, "intern" to the administrative office, play leaders, etc) and are rewarded for good citizenship. The kinder teachers, for free, are leading an intensive reading and writing workshop after school to prep my kindergartner for first grade. Both children, despite being on the younger side, were expected to prepare a scientific poster for the annual science fair. There's a student orchestra and a well-stocked library. The campus is clean and cheerful. The student body is diverse. Super duper like it here. :)

Paseo Del Rey Natural Science Magnet 4

Posted November 29, 2013
This is my child's first year at Paseo (3rd grade). Overall, I can say that the school is pretty good...solid curriculum, outstanding Parent involvement (PTO), and a diverse student body. The Star after-school program is awesome. Mr. Arnold and his staff are engaging and warm. The principal, Mrs. Sullivan seems very sweet and approachable. This school year thus far has been a transition for my daughter with coming from a small, parochial school. Surprisingly, the school work here at Paseo has been more challenging and more critical than what she is used to. There is a greater emphasis testing and drills. But all of these challenges has allowed her to flourish academically. She has become more of a critical thinker and a proactive student. I love that! There has just been one hiccup regarding communication with the ladies in the front office. Other than that, I would recommend Paseo Del Rey.

Posted October 24, 2013
Paseo Del Rey is an amazing school, with a great a wonderful leader Jennifer Sullivan the principal. This school offers a safe and welcoming environment for your kids to thrive and learn in. I have been a parent here for over 6 years and I have made some incredible friendships and my kids are well adjusted. We have a great library, computer lab and science lab.and this in additional to our incredible teachers sets us aprat from other schools.

Posted October 24, 2013
I have 2 children at Paseo Del Rey who have, are receiving a wonderful education, with a great and caring Principal, staff ,PTO, and Awesome Parent volunteers, who work TOGETHER (which you HAVE to do in LAUSD, and any school for that matter) in giving their students the best education possible. A pretty amazing feat considering all of the budget cuts and limitations our public schools have had to contend with. You will not be disappointed sending your child to PDR.

Posted October 24, 2013
This is a really GREAT school. My daughter has been in attendance since kindergarten and I am very pleased with her academic growth these last 5 years. The teachers and staff are friendly and go the extra mile for our students. Though I work full time and can not volunteer like I wish I could I am amazed and impressed at how many parent volunteers there are that put in countless hours to the various programs at this school. Highly recommended. :)

Posted October 24, 2013
I love love love this school!!!! Very diverse, very family oriented, very warm and welcoming, and most of all the parents, teachers, and staff truly advocate for our children to ensure that they have the best educational experience! Ms. Sullivan is an amazing principal who is always visible and very much so involved. I also love how the teachers make themselves available through email and phone. They don't mind you asking questions about the progress of your child and encourage parents to reach out to them anytime. The school also has an awesome PTO group! You can't help but to get involved and be apart of the Paseo family! Don't look any further....Paseo Del Rey has got the full package.

Paseo Del Rey Natural Science Magnet 4

Posted September 26, 2013
Paseo Del Rey is a wonderful school. The teachers and staff are dedicated to the success of their students. The PTO is very active and full of energetic, dedicated parents that care about the education of all of the students at Paseo.

Posted July 18, 2013
I am a retired LAUSD teacher, and a grandmother who volunteers. I am delighted that my granddaughters attend Paseo. The staff are fabulous from the Plant Manager to the Principal. Everyone is involved in the children's education. I am surprised about the reference to the 60's by one poster. This school is as well run as my elementary school in the 50's! I have much more confidence in the educational environment and integrity at Paseo than I would have at many private schools. The teachers not only follow the State Standards, but go well beyond! I am at the school frequently, in and out of classrooms, and I've seen only respect for others among all stakeholders. (I have never observed bullying either in classrooms nor on the yard.) There is great parent involvement in spite of many students not being "local." Any parent who isn't satisfied should become part of the solution by volunteering. The teachers know how to make the volunteer experience meaningful. Many volunteers there are former teachers, but others bring special skills, such as technology, medicine, or entertainment industry experience that really enrich the curriculum.

Paseo Del Rey Natural Science Magnet
7751 Paseo Del Rey, Playa del Rey, CA  90293
Last modified Paseo Del Rey Natural Science Magnet is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Paseo Del Rey Natural Science Magnet Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 68 reviews. Top