No rating

Playa Vista Elementary

Public | K-5 | 300 students

Posted August 14, 2014

This is my sons second year at PVES and we could not be any happier! He is thriving in every way academically and socially. The teachers are all wonderful and the parent group is strong and extremely supportive. Amazing school and we are blessed to be a part of it!

Posted May 29, 2014

PVES is an amazing school and I am very proud to have my daughter attend this school. The parents are a strong group and the teachers have an amazing wealth of knowledge and a passion for children. Now that the district is allowing us to upgrade our leadership I, as a father, am hoping for a male influence to complement the terrific ladies of PVES! Go Osprey!!!

Posted April 22, 2014

Playa Vista Elementary is a wonderful school with excellent teachers, staff, and high parental involvement. I have two children who have been at the school since it opened almost two years ago and they have both had great experiences. It is in a beautiful location and the partnership with LMU is a real benefit as well. My husband and I plan to keep our children there through fifth grade.

Posted April 5, 2014

Beautiful modern new building. Bright classrooms with an abundance of high-tech learning tools. Fantastic teachers, TA's and staff. Unprecedented parent involvement.

Posted April 3, 2014

Both of my children are blossoming at PVES! The teachers, staff, LMU Staff, TAs, parent volunteers all work well together to give our children a project based learning environment with its focus on STEM and through parent fundraising, we are bringing more art into the STEM program through visual arts & music. The children also make use of the garden, Discovery Park & the Sports Park as outdoor classrooms and also have use of the Computer Lab, Art Room, the MPR for classes such as yoga and music, the Library and the amazing new & growing Science Lab. The facility is beautiful and LEED Certified. We have new leadership coming, and I am impressed with how the District is engaging staff, parents & LMU in the process. The children are safe, happy, curious and engaged! I highly recommend PVES!!

Posted April 3, 2014

No school is perfect, PVES is no different in that regard. All I know is my daughter is thriving here and we couldn't be happier about that! We are pleased with the curriculum, very happy with her past & present teacher and feel she's learning in a safe, stable environment. Most of all, her father and I feel the wealth of diversity here is priceless! I made many visits to many different schools (both private and public) on the westside and all of them showed a lack of racial diversity. That is not the case here and we couldn't be happier about that!!! As far as improvements are concerned, of course we could and can improve in many different areas. This is the second year of instruction and I feel many improvements were made. Does that mean the school or booster club can't do more next year? Absolutely not! What's wonderful about this school community is the collaborative spirit we have! We as a school community are always working and striving to make this an amazing place for our children to thrive and grow as innovators and citizens of the world! Can't wait to see if we ALL can make the 2014-15 school year the best yet:)

Posted April 1, 2014

Playa Vista Elementary is a brand new elementary school that has been a wonderful school with incredibly strong teachers the past couple of years. With the new leadership that is coming our way, I feel confident this is going to be a superior STEM school that it was meant to be. We have outstanding teachers in every grade, a committed partnership with LMU, and a very dedicated and involved parent group. When you combine this strong foundation with a visionary leader, the possibilities are endless. I think PVES has a bright future ahead. Lastly, we have such a special community where all the families walk to school and look after one another. This is such a gem of a neighborhood- we are so lucky to have PVES.

Posted March 28, 2014

Facts about this school : STEM curriculum , progressive teachers , new facility next to a secured multi sports park , very involved parents , close partnership w/ LMU , parent organization that raises thousands of dollars that pays for PE , Music , TAs , Library , technology and more . Now my personal opinion : in only a yr and half this school has achieved way more than a lot of other schools w/ yrs of operation . We all know of great schools out there w/ less than great principals who hang on for years . PVES is already getting a new leadership which is a very good sign meaning this school demands greatness ! This is just another reason why PVES is so unique . This school is writing a new chapter in history of LAUSD and possibly the whole area . My prediction is that new generation of schools are going to look up to this school and use its history and its model to learn from .

Posted March 27, 2014

Playa Vista has gotten off to a fantastic start over the last couple years and I know it will only get better from here! This school opened with the help of a very passionate and dedicated parent Booster Club who fund-raised hundreds of thousands of dollars to ensure a well-rounded curriculum for our children. While the first year was a bit shaky in terms of the administration, who was not committed to collaborating with the community, that issue will be addressed soon as the search for a new principal begins. I am excited to see how the next year goes when we hopefully have a more collaborative, savvy leader in place to continue the development of this school as a STE(A)M leader. If you live in Playa Vista, there is no question that your local neighborhood school is the way to go!

Posted March 26, 2014

PV Elementary is truly an exceptional school. Our daughter is very quiet and shy, but the caring and supportive environment and culture fostered at this school allows her to open up and thrive. Yes, there are safe, happy, nurturing places in LAUSD. This is most definitely one of them! Go PVES Ospreys!!!

Posted March 25, 2014

This brand new school is just amazing in it's brand new structure, the kids, the teachers, the parents, and the overall vibe and energy of the school! We were torn whether to be the guinea pigs and put our Kindergartener in a new LAUSD school or go Private. But when we heard LMU was getting involved and the participation and love from so many parents was so strong, we realized that this school is almost like being at a private school. And I also love that the school is so diverse. It's really amazing and I love that my son is exposed to this type of environment socially and educationally. It's a real community here and we love it.

Posted March 24, 2014

We have had a fantastic experience at this new neighborhood public school. I have kids in two different grades here, and have been very impressed with both of their exceptional teachers. The school's partnership with Loyola Marymount University has provided invaluable guidance and resources. The facility itself is a true (LEED certified) gem in a city filled with aging school campuses. The science and computer labs and the school library are like nothing I've even seen at any other public elementary school! Our parents are passionate, invested, and proactive. Their fundraising efforts have resulted in an array of enrichment programs and educational field trips for all grade levels. The lack of administrative strength has been uniformly acknowledged and is being addressed, so I have complete confidence in the fact that this school will shine even brighter once we find the right leadership.

Posted March 24, 2014

This is really an amazing school. Great teachers, wonderful community and parent support. My 1st grader has loved going to school since K and really enjoys all the teachers and classmates. This is a sign of a wonderful learning environment. Improvements could be made in the leadership and direction of where the school could go, but overall I would definitely recommend PVES if you want your child to attend a fantastic school.

Posted March 23, 2014

My son has been at PVES since it opened almost two years ago. We LOVE the challenging and engaging learning environment that the teachers and LMU provide with a focus on a STEM based curriculum. My first grader reads at a sixth grade level and many of the other students are way above grade level too thanks to the excellent teachers. Parents are very involved with developing and funding exciting enrichment programs that benefit the entire student body including computer lab, science lab, library, music and P.E. We are thrilled to be part of such a wonderful community based school where we can walk to and from school each day.

Posted March 23, 2014

This is my son's 2nd year at PVES and our experience has been nothing short of amazing! He is thriving academically, socially and emotionally! The teachers, parents and LMU staff go above and beyond to support students. PVES is a high performing, neighborhood school with a 900 API and enrollment increase by 100 students every year - a rarity in LAUSD! Teachers are kind, engaged and work tirelessly to integrate an innovative STEM curriculum. LMU student teachers rotate throughout the year and the parent group funds teacher s aides. PVES has a computer lab, science lab, frequently visits the Discovery Park and sports park. Yes, the parents fundraise and we are PROUD of it! We are able to fund academic and enrichment programs for ALL PVES STUDENTS: technology classes, librarian, field trips and teacher s and supervision aides, Kinder music teacher, 1st-5th grade ORFF music teacher and P.E. coaches. The principal is reassigned to another school for the 2014-2015 school year. We expect those issues in previous reviews to resolved when the school community selects the new principal. So GRATEFUL to those that GIVE their time and financially so PVES kids get a top notch education!

Posted March 23, 2014

We are finishing our first year at PVES. Our son is in Kindergarten. PVES is a fantastic school. The facilities are amazing, the teachers are extremely dedicated and caring, and the involvement of parents is nothing short of miraculous. Classes benefit by LMU staff, parent volunteers and teacher's aids. The STEM focused curriculum continues to be developed and enhanced. The school has had some challenges, but through the cooperation of LAUSD/ Teachers/LMU and parents, the school is moving forward next year with exciting new changes including new school leadership. My son looks forward to going to school each day and he benefits from excellent after-school programs as well. He is reading, writing, adding and subtracting. For him, homework is fun and so is his overall school experience. The genuine old fashioned neighborhood attributes of PVES, coupled with parental involvement and a fantastic boosters program (parents are encouraged to donate to enable payment for all the extra programs) all result in a rare gem within LAUSD. How lucky we are to be able to send our child to an LAUSD school that fosters and promotes such a positive and rewarding learning and growing environment.

Posted March 22, 2014

Our daughter is finishing her second year at this school and has had a fantastic experience. The teachers are dedicated, caring and very professional. The partnership with Loyola Marymount University has contributed tremendously to making the STEM curriculum a success. The buildings are LEED certified and the nature preserve immediately adjacent to the campus offer tremendous learning opportunities. This school is a true gem!!! We can't wait for our son to begin in the first of his 6 years at PVES this Fall.

Posted March 16, 2014

New school and for those who care about test scores, promising test scores the first year! As a parent who has experienced other LAUSD schools, CCUSD schools and private schools, PVES is a rare find. There will be issues at every school however the leadership will be changing next year so it is expected that many of the present issues at PVES will be rectified.

Posted January 30, 2014

Love this school so far. My child is in Kinder and is learning based on own needs. Children often go to discovery park to explore and do science experiments. I don't have any other schools to compare it to but when I tell other parents and people who work at other schools, they seem amazed at how much my child is exposed to. I do agree that they ask for donations often and the principal seems disconnected. I volunteer in my child's class so, for me being disconnected to the principal isn't an issue because I connect with the teacher who is with my child ALL day! to each their own. every school will have issues. We'll see how it goes but so far, so good.

Posted January 27, 2014

Beautiful campus but not functioning well. The principal is not collaborative and does not promote integrating innovative programs. Progress has been so slow and precious learning time lost for the students due to a disconnect between her with a traditional, stale approach and the vision and direction of what LMU and parents offer to bring in. Friday assemblies are bizarre and there is a raffle for kids with good behavior. Some win more than once and some never win. It's ridiculous and unfair. P.E. is non-existent except for the program funded by the parents. Lunch rules are absurd. Last year kids were only allowed to play in small groups within their own class in a weekly designated area. This year parents fought for students to have free play and interact with other classmates and friends. Principal dresses in boots and clothes that are inappropriate for school and does not set a good example for young girls.

Grade level

2012 to 2013

API Statewide Rank
(2013)

API Growth scores over time

Did this school meet the API goal this year?
  • This school met the state goal of 800.

API Growth scores by subgroup

Change from 2012 to 2013
API Statewide Rank
(2013)

N/A

API Statewide Rank (2013)
The API Statewide Rank ranges from 1 to 10. A rank of 10, for example, means that the school’s API fell into the top 10% of all schools in the state with a comparable grade range. The 2013 rank is based on results from tests students took in Spring 2013.

Ethnicity This school

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 30%N/AN/A
English language learners 4%N/AN/A
Source: CA Dept. of Education, 2013-2014

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab
The Los Angeles Unified School District (LAUSD) School Experience Survey asks parents, students and employees about their school's learning environment. Results provide insight into school climate, such as whether the school is academically rigorous, engaging, safe, and collaborative. Learn more

We organized questions from the LAUSD School Experience Survey into five categories. The respondent group-level results (parents, students, and school employees) show the percent of each respondent group that agree or strongly agree that the school has positive results for that category.

Overall school results for each category are calculated by averaging across group-level results, ensuring that each respondent group is equally represented. Alongside the results for each school are the aggregated results across all LAUSD schools, which are provided as a basis for comparisons.

Learn more about the LAUSD survey »Close
Based on 156 responses

This school provides ... 1

High academic expectations for all studentsWhat's this?

This score measures the percent of parents and students that agree to strongly agree that this school sets high academic expectations for its students and expects them to be college-bound. This score is based on the average of the following LAUSD survey Content Areas: School Future Expectations (Parents), School Quality (Parents), Future Plans (Parents), Opportunities For Learning (Students), Future Plans (Students).

District average

Healthy, respectful relationshipsWhat's this?

This score measures the percent of students and employees that agree to strongly agree that this school has a positive learning environment and cultivates an atmosphere of respect. This score is based on the average of the following LAUSD survey Content Areas: School Support (Students), Commitment and Collaboration (Employees), Satisfaction (Students), School Support (Students).

District average

A safe, clean and orderly environmentWhat's this?

This score measures the percent of parents, students and employees that agree to strongly agree that this school has a well-kept facility and a safe environment conducive to learning. This score is based on the average of the following LAUSD survey Content Areas: School Cleanliness (Employees), School Safety (Employees), Safety (Parents), School Cleanliness (Students), School Safety (Students).

District average

Strong family engagementWhat's this?

This score measures the percent of parents and employees that agree to strongly agree that this school engages parents and communicates with families to promote student learning. This score is based on the average of the following LAUSD survey Content Areas: Parent Involvement (Employees), Feeling of Welcome (Parents), School Involvement (Parents), Teacher to Parent Communication (Parents).

District average

Teacher support and opportunities for collaborationWhat's this?

This score measures the percent of employees that agree to strongly agree that this school ensures that teachers work well together, learn from one another, have opportunities for professional development and feel supported by the administration. This score is based on the average of the following LAUSD survey Content Areas: Evaluation (Employees), Opportunities for Involvement (Employees), Professional Development (Employees), Resource Allocation (Employees), Teacher Collaboration and Data Use (Employees).

Based on surveys from: