Bad
Good

My two children were transfered to fair oaks this year because i moved. they are ajusting well and enjoying every minute that they spend there. the only downfall is that they have to take a bus but other than that the staff is nice and the teacher parent meeting i had today went well . they are trying to help in everyway they can. i believe because fair oaks is a small school they do not qualify for all of the scholorships that the other schools do so they dont have as much but they do stick together and do a AWESOME JOB WITH THE KIDS...

My daughter transferred from San Francisco to this school and what a bad experience it has been. First the kids are not encourage to push themselves to their maximum potential due to the fact that 50% plus of the students are non-native speakers and the teachers have to slow down every other student in order to keep everyone at the same pace. Second, many of the teachers are unfriendly and rude and treat everyone as ignorant immigrants. Even the cafeteria lady wants to scam the students by not giving them change back and charging imaginary meals to some of the parents. Overall the school is bad and I wouldn't recommend this school to anyone.

I'm a new mom to Fair Oaks and I have a five year old daughter in their kindergarten class. I love this school its has a welcoming environment with wonderful opportunities for you and your child. I am the president of the PFC which is like a PTA. The parent involvement is wonderful and exciting to see. My daughter has learned so much in the short time she has been there. This school is high tech with amazing teachers to back it up. I look forward to the next 5 years in anticipation for what is next!

We have just finished the entire 6 years at this school, and we have been increasingly disappointed as time has gone on. There are some wonderful teachers at this school, but essentially they teach math and english only. There is very little science or history taught as the focus is on testing. There are very few enrichment or extracuricullar activities offered although they did have some excellent field trips for 5th graders this year. I like the principal personally but I do not feel that she is effective in her job. There is very little communication between the school and parents. When we have had problems we did not feel supported by the principal. The kids are out of control and rules are not enforced. We were very active in the earlier years but have gradually pulled back as we became increasingly frustrated. We do not recommend this school.

I currently have a son in fourth grade and a daughter in first grade. We love the school. The academic instruction is the same as all the other MDUSD schools. If your child can excel they will and with lots of teacher encouragement. This school is small and the teachers are all dedicated and hardworking. The principal has two young children so she knows what you are going through. Please note: fourth grade music has been fully restored for 06-07 - my son got use of a free school cello and he has excelled. The after school program has been great and it is free. Best of all - look at the diversity at this school. Fair Oaks will prepare my kids for a future where they can interact with people from all backgrounds and cultures. Parent involvement is low but you can change that. The principal totally encourages parent involvement.

Last modified Fair Oaks Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 2 out of 10 based on academic quality.