Valhalla Elementary School

Public | K-5

Living in Pleasant Hill

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $357,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,650.

In the know: Get our expert advice on schools

No articles are available

Posted March 22, 2014

The education at Valhalla was unsatisfactory. When I raised concerns, the principal unloaded on me emotionally, crying and belittling me. My child's educational information was released to retaliate for our complaints. It is time for a new principal.

Posted February 8, 2014

I am in my eleventh year at Valhalla, my third child is matriculating there. I have seen alot of change, staff turnover due to MDUSD budget issues. Two of my children had IEP's. Overall, the school , in my opinion is very exceptional. There is a great PTA, wonderful parent participation. Many activities to include everyone from a welcome back to school family dinner dance to family bowling night to a family BBQ at the end of the year that the Dad's network hosts. I encourage families to get involved. The school is only as strong as the parent involvement.

Posted February 7, 2014

This has been my home and my children's home now for 6 years the teachers and principals are amazing people who really care about what they do

Posted December 15, 2013

This school is not supportive of parental input. My child was put in the wrong class for half of the school year. i asked to vusit the class after to confirm that it was correct, but I was then told tha I could not visit my child's class due to confidentiality of the other students. At a meeting with teachers to try to resolve it the principal unloaded on me crying hysterically, saying that we don't appreciate them. Insanity reigned supreme after. It is time for new leadership.

Posted October 13, 2013

The theme for us at Valhalla was - wasted opportunities. Bad experience, bad oversight, lack of clear leadership, and lack of training for teachers. Yes, there are good teachers there, but when there are issues, nothing gets fixed. Our impression was that the school is resistant to children from other cultures.

Posted August 18, 2013

Looking forward to another year at Valhalla! Such an amazing school- the principal and staff are top notch! We are regarded as family here with so many/ such a warm and friendly atmosphere. Yes, MDUSD is struggling and that stinks-- but the families & principal really come together and make sure their kids get what they need!! Love Valhalla!!

Posted August 1, 2013

My second child is now attending Valhalla and we have had very good experiences at the school over the past 10 years. As with any school, there are a range of skills in terms of teachers, but overall I've been very happy with the teachers at Valhalla. They do an excellent job of managing with the larger class sizes that are the norm these days, and an excellent job of dealing with students of differing skills, especially at the upper grades. Differentiated math and english made a big difference in my older child's success at the school. My younger child is very shy, but had no problem feeling at home at the school and got plenty of attention from teachers. I highly recommend the school.

Posted July 17, 2013

Our child did not make progress in special education at this school for several years. Two months later at a new school, in a new district, it was an amazing difference. The staff did not have the skills to analyze academic performance or to implement it. The student teacher ratio is too high. The District has a low rate of children exiting from Special Education after years in the district. The leadership at the school engaged in a confrontational style and retaliated against us for advocating for our child. The school told us that our child did not perform well because of being exposed to other languages growing up. The leadership is out of touch.

Posted July 17, 2013

Valhalla is an excellent school. The teachers, principal, administration and parents work hard to make Valhalla a top school. My son is very happy here!

Posted July 16, 2013

I teach in another district and was not thrilled when we bought a home in MDUSD. I had planned on taking my children to my school/district. But after the wonderful things I have heard about Valhalla from colleagues, I decided to put my child in our neighborhood school. I have attended numerous IEP's and parent meetings over the years as a teacher, but experienced my first as a parent at Valhalla. I was ready to argue and fight for my child; and was skillfully disarmed by the principal. She had my child's best interests at heart, and when we did have a disagreement she was very willing to do what was needed to please us as the parents, as well as keep our child's goals top priority. From what I have seen at Valhalla, they have the whole child in mind, creating a place for children to learn and learn to enjoy the process. I hope what I have seen so far continues.

Posted May 22, 2013

We had a bad experience at Valhalla. The State Dept of Education found that school was out of compliance with special education related to our child. The school and district refused to comply. The school told us that our child's exposure to other languages growing up was not beneficial. We recommend that you go to another district for special education.

Posted May 22, 2013

We had a difficult time at Valhalla. We did not feel supported by the teachers or principal. There were poor conflict resolution schools, and an internal atmosphere of denying problems. For most students and families, I think they have a good experience, but we were treated poorly, and our child did not receive an appropriate education in our opinion. There are good teachers at this school, but we had a couple of teachers and staff who were not up to standard.

Posted October 28, 2011

In a time where schools are stretched impossibly thin from a resource standpoint, Valhalla continues to deliver on quality education in an engaging, fun environment for children. The Kindergarten experience is unmatched in Mrs. Mckinley's class and this sets students up for success in subsequent grades. The principal and teachers I have encountered in K-3 grades are dedicated to the success of their students and willing to work with families for the best outcome. The school environment is as important as the curriculum, and Mrs. C. and her staff foster a learning-rich, motivational environment in which children at all levels can learn and grow. Valhalla is a bright spot in the PH community and preferable to local private schools.

Posted December 9, 2010

Our Principal at Valhalla is incredible and our school reflects and is inspired by her. Mrs. C is involved in every capacity and operation of Valhalla and never seems tired, in a bad mood or anything but pleasingly busy! Bless her heart and all the hard work she lovingly does for our students and I couldn't not mention the parent participation! I've never seen so many Moms AND Dads volunteer for everything! We all get along really well and all share the importance for the village feeling at our beloved Valhalla! Go Vikings : )

Posted April 30, 2010

The Principal at Valhalla is remarkable. She is very involved in the day to day as well as extra curricular activities. The teachers are experienced and always available to correspond with. Our family loves this school and is looking forward to the years to come at Valhalla.

Posted April 27, 2010

Couldn't ask for a better school. Teachers and staff are very attentive to student's needs-always available to talk to. Great community and great school all around. We are blessed to be a part of this awesome school!

Posted January 7, 2010

Wonderful School and Faculty!

Posted April 30, 2009

We've had all 4 of our children attend Valhalla, and have been very satisfied with the quality of education they have received. The Principal is very involved and caring about each student, most of the teachers are excellent, and the parent involvement and support is fantastic.

Posted March 7, 2007

Perfect school. Better than Bancroft elementary school or Sequoia elementary school.

Posted October 30, 2006

Valhalla is a great school. We are very happy with all my daughter's teachers. She had both new teachers from K and 1st grade but they both turned out wonderful. Good parents participation on all school activities, Dad's club has helped a lot working on school yard. I could not ask for a better school than Valhalla. Mrs. Calbeck is a wonderful principal...very pro-active and always around when you need help. My daughter was accepted at Sequioa this year but we turned it down since we are happy to stay in our community school. I think good education comes from the school activities, teachers & parents help. We are happy with the after school program that was offered this year. My daughter is taking piano and mad science. The Y-staff are helpful, caring,wonderful. They have a great schedule to help the kids on their school work.

This school's

(2012)

8 / 10

5 / 10

API Growth scores over time

Did this school meet the API goal this year?
  • This school met the state goal of 800.

API Growth scores by subgroup

Did this school meet all the API goals for student subgroups this year?
  • This school did not meet all student subgroup API targets for 2013

Change from 2012 to 2013
API Statewide Rank
(2012)

8 / 10

API Statewide Rank (2012)

5 / 10

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 56% in 2013.

80 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

80 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 46% in 2013.

87 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 66% in 2013.

89 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 65% in 2013.

96 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 72% in 2013.

95 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 60% in 2013.

94 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

96 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 57% in 2013.

94 students were tested at this school in 2013.

All Students73%

Teacher experience

This school District averageState average
First-year teachers 0%N/AN/A
Source: CRDC, 2011-2012

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

530 Kiki Drive