Bad
Good

Phoebe Apperson Hearst Elementary School 3

Posted February 10, 2016
Sadly the school has changed. The principal that was there for years and was extremely adored by students, teachers and parents has moved into a district job. The new principal and vice principal have not continued to keep the school at the same standards. Students are not being held accountable for their bad behavior, cultures are not blending well and teachers seem to not be happy there anymore. The overall pride for the school had has diminished greatly. Hearst is not what it used to be.....

Posted July 31, 2013
Hearst is an absolutely amazing school. We had our children in private school in Concord before moving to Pleasanton, and I'm happy to say that we are much happier with Hearst than we were with a school that we had to spend thousands to attend. Mr. Kuhfal is absolutely amazing, and knew all of my kids' names within 3 weeks of the school year beginning. The children are expected to be polite and courteous to others, and are challenged in the classroom. I am especially impressed with the playground rules that are designed to leave no child friendless. It made for a very easy transition for my kids! Academically, the school is obviously top notch as the scores indicate. It's all the extras that surprised me. I feel like we won the lottery with this school.

Posted February 01, 2013
Excellent School. The techers are very hands-ons making sure everyone is attended to/cared for. We are very happy with the school. PTA is very strong and active. Well rounded Curriculum.

Phoebe Apperson Hearst Elementary School 4

Posted July 18, 2011
This is a great school, with dedicated principal and teachers. But, some of the tenured teachers who have been there for a long time, are too laid back and don't challenge the students adequately. I wish there was a way to give the principal and the board feedback in terms of an year end evaluation of the class teacher.

Phoebe Apperson Hearst Elementary School 3

Posted September 15, 2010
This is our first year at Hearst and we are extremely impressed by the leadership of Principal Kufhal. He is a great administrator and caring towards all the students. The teaching staff is great also. The only downside of this school is the parents and students are not as friendly to the new families or students. I don't feel there is a sense of community at this school.

Posted March 20, 2009
This is a great school. I have 2 kids enrolled there and they both love it. This school is well balanced on all levels. They have great school spirit, enthusiastic parents and great staff at the school.

Posted September 05, 2007
Our family moved here 4 years ago. Initially, I was worried about how our children would adjust, but the transition period was minimal. Each of them are very happy that we moved here, and each is doing very well both academically and socially. I credit the success of the school to a number of factors: Mr. Kuhfal is a tremendous administrator, the teachers and staff are extremely dedicated, and there is very high parental participation & enthusiasm.

Posted April 06, 2007
When I moved here I had no transportation and I could not get my daughter to school making me have to home school. The staff at Hearst as well as the District worked so hard to get her into the school. Within three weeks she was enrolled at Hearst. Making it easy as we just live right across the street. Thank you Hearst!

Posted November 22, 2004
What a wonderful school! Parent involvement is outstanding, with several parents helping each classroom. My (2) Kindergarteners adore their teachers. The classrooms are fun, but focussed equally on respect and consideration amongst the students.

Posted June 01, 2004
We moved here from another supposedly 'better' school. However as my kid attends his second year at Hearst, we feel that the school, the principal, the staff, everything is top-notch. I am most impressed to see Mr. Kufal directing traffic rain or shine, even when he was on crutches. You can't find a more devoted and committed group of educators and administrators here. Way to go Hearst!

Phoebe Apperson Hearst Elementary School
5301 Case Avenue, Pleasanton, CA  94566-8005
Last modified Phoebe Apperson Hearst Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.