Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (2 responses)

The teacher we had yelled at students in the class and my child was scared to go to school. Teacher sent her out to get her backpack alone outside after school had started. Received little communication from teacher and it didn't seem that the teacher wanted any parent involvement.

Teacher effectiveness: Neutral

they have absolutely no support from the principal or vice principal. Very hard and sad to see because they are great teachers.

Develops character: Strongly disagree

Not what the principal seems to care about. Very sad to see. They put there hands up if its too much.

Very happy to be done with this school. Very happy that we finally promoted out. No accountability on principal, vp, and students. Yard dutys could care less, principal and vp could care less. So sad. This has nothing to do with changes or the lack of ability of being friends with all races. The school has a large bullying issue, sexual harrasement while at outdoor ed, sexual videos being shown by other students at the school, foul language in emails using school district emails from student to student and a large division of races. If I was to have a 2nd student going into elementary this school would not be acceptable for me. I would rather homeschool. Get a new principal ...one that is not there for just a check. PUSD I think you should put out a survey and you would be shocked by how many would say how much they want a new principal, one that cares.

Academically, my child has thrived at Hearst. Even with the increasingly larger class sizes, the teachers are getting the hard work done. Common core has at times kicked me in the butt, but there are supports in place to help me, help my child. I appreciate that. My child has made friendships with children of all different races and cultures. There have been teacher and principal moves and change can be hard to deal, but I think we are making great strides. The school community likes to have fun. Lots of cool events, like an ice cream social, disco bingo, and an auction. New families just need to attend events and PTA meetings to start making connections. Truly, I think the change is harder for parents than the children. Kids are resilient and take it all in stride. My kids are looking forward to the new school year.

Sadly the school has changed. The principal that was there for years and was extremely adored by students, teachers and parents has moved into a district job. The new principal and vice principal have not continued to keep the school at the same standards. Students are not being held accountable for their bad behavior, cultures are not blending well and teachers seem to not be happy there anymore. The overall pride for the school had has diminished greatly. Hearst is not what it used to be.....

Hearst is an absolutely amazing school. We had our children in private school in Concord before moving to Pleasanton, and I'm happy to say that we are much happier with Hearst than we were with a school that we had to spend thousands to attend. Mr. Kuhfal is absolutely amazing, and knew all of my kids' names within 3 weeks of the school year beginning. The children are expected to be polite and courteous to others, and are challenged in the classroom. I am especially impressed with the playground rules that are designed to leave no child friendless. It made for a very easy transition for my kids! Academically, the school is obviously top notch as the scores indicate. It's all the extras that surprised me. I feel like we won the lottery with this school.

Excellent School. The techers are very hands-ons making sure everyone is attended to/cared for. We are very happy with the school. PTA is very strong and active. Well rounded Curriculum.

This is a great school, with dedicated principal and teachers. But, some of the tenured teachers who have been there for a long time, are too laid back and don't challenge the students adequately. I wish there was a way to give the principal and the board feedback in terms of an year end evaluation of the class teacher.

This is our first year at Hearst and we are extremely impressed by the leadership of Principal Kufhal. He is a great administrator and caring towards all the students. The teaching staff is great also. The only downside of this school is the parents and students are not as friendly to the new families or students. I don't feel there is a sense of community at this school.

Last modified Phoebe Apperson Hearst Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.