Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)

I'm actually shocked by the negative comments about Rio. We have had two children go through Rio and have one that currently attends. I absolutely love the staff and know that they love what they do. Being an educator myself, I understand the difficulties that teachers face trying to teach each child in the best possible way. It is a daunting task and one that I can appreciate. The new principal is very involved with the children. I constantly see him interacting with the kids and calling them by their first names. My children have required special services and while the district office hasn't been supportive, Rio has done what they can to meet my children's needs. Rio gave my older children the foundation that they needed to continue to grow in the world around them. Thank you teachers for investing!!!

Rio Del Oro Elementary has done wonders for my son! After a terrible experience at a small, private school in the surrounding area, I was nervous to see how my son would do at RDO. Fortunately, my son did amazing and has now moved on to Riverside Meadows! I would highly recommend RDO for families looking for structure, routine, and high expectations for all students!

I have to giggle to myself when reading the 1 star posts here. Why? You ask. Well because they are all true. I had researched this area and had spoke with the woman who heads the Special Ed program (IEP) and she talks a good game and makes everything sound like the best place in the world. Once your child is there it becomes a different story. My child started out in Kindergarten and it went wonderfully. My son had suffered Sensory Integration Disorder which made it very hard for him to deal with change and caused frequent "melt downs" when he became uncomfortable with any kind of change. The specific teacher they placed him with worked wonders with him and he came out of the melt downs very quickly. It was not until he got to 1st grade and they implemented the starting of Common Core. He started falling behind. His melt downs had become more and more frequent again and his self esteem took a massive dive. He would come home and tell me often that he was the "dummy" of his table. I asked him why he would say that and he says "well because I have (child's name) who sit across from me and then (child's name) next to me. They are both very smart mom so that has to leave me and (child's name) are the dummies because they always have the answers and have to help us." When they set his IEP goals they could not hit barely any of them. Every time I complained they kept giving my child an award. That was how they addressed parents who try to complain. I think my son won 4 awards in a very short time LMAO. The principal lies right to your face without hesitation. My child was coming home each week with some sort of sickness toward the end of the school year. I have a lung disease and was hospitalized twice from him bring stuff home. When I confronted the principal he says to me, right to my face, the attendance in that class is no different from any other class. This just means you are not sending children home that are sick. Why do they call his class room the quarantined sick room by the teachers? I could go on and on and I have not even touched my conversations with the superintendent who knows nothing about running a school district. Ending conclusion, I pulled my child from this school and he has thrived at homeschooling ever since. Now I hear they are trying to fix the mess they did last yr. I feel sad for my son's class for they will suffer that mistake!

I formally taught at this school, and I can honestly say this was the worst school and school district I've have ever known. The leadership is horrible starting with the Superintendent, I think he needs more work, he is obviously not busy enough. The teachers act and dress poorly, and are very unprofessional and lack knowledge about pedagogical practices. The Superintendent often requires teachers to go to training, but it clearly doesn't help. I feel sorry for the children who are taught by those teachers, and I am so glad I left the school when I did. Overall, poor teachers, poor leadership, and I hope they are on the ball now with Common Core.

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly disagree

The superintendent gives them professional development, but the teachers are not prepared and lack training and skill.

Develops character: Disagree

The teachers are very inconsistent with behavior, the teachers need additional training to learn how to deal with difficult children.

The Principle does not know how to handle Special Education Students. In addition to that he feels like suspension is the only option for displine. The education is "okay". But I wouldn't bother sending your child there unless you want them over seen by a dictator.

This school has been a great entry into education for my child but now we are beginning to look at other options. There is no advanced child focus at all, and the curriculum has been pared back to teach directly to Common Core. At every conference (which I am thankful they conduct) we are told how advanced and enjoyable our child is, but that's where the development of the topic ends. There are several advanced children in this school that have no options to develop their talents or skills. The kids are either temporarily moved up to group activities with the next grade (only if it does not interfere with Common Core, so not an option this year for my kid at all), or issued "challenge" questions in the homework packet. It seems like a willy-nilly approach to addressing this segment of the student population. I commend the teachers for doing what they can within the system, but this is a second year of "we don't really have a place for him" other than moving up a grade, which is not really the answer for an academically advanced child with age-appropriate social skills. The potential of this school district seems to have stalled with the growth of the community.

Please someone report this school district to the Department of Education for not following their legal obligations for their Special Education Program. Cobble Stone and Rio Del Oro, both are awful places to send your children. If you live in this area send your child to Arboga Elementary. Academically they are far more advanced than Plumas Lake, and with better teachers. I'm sending my child back to Arboga just after a few weeks. Again, their Special Education services are horrible and they are not following legal procedures.

Teachers here think they are better than everyone else, some are snotty and rude and absolutely DO NOT care about the children. Humiliation in front of other kids in the classroom happens even in kindergarten. Stay away from this school if you don't want your child to grow with low self esteem but watch out for Cobblestone too.... Not all teachers are probably bad but all it takes is one, one ruined child is one too many and a sign of bad leadership, if nothing else. Very disappointed parent

Last modified Rio Del Oro Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.