Plumas Lake, CA

Rio Del Oro Elementary School 4

Posted March 23, 2015
This school has been a great entry into education for my child but now we are beginning to look at other options. There is no advanced child focus at all, and the curriculum has been pared back to teach directly to Common Core. At every conference (which I am thankful they conduct) we are told how advanced and enjoyable our child is, but that's where the development of the topic ends. There are several advanced children in this school that have no options to develop their talents or skills. The kids are either temporarily moved up to group activities with the next grade (only if it does not interfere with Common Core, so not an option this year for my kid at all), or issued "challenge" questions in the homework packet. It seems like a willy-nilly approach to addressing this segment of the student population. I commend the teachers for doing what they can within the system, but this is a second year of "we don't really have a place for him" other than moving up a grade, which is not really the answer for an academically advanced child with age-appropriate social skills. The potential of this school district seems to have stalled with the growth of the community.

Posted September 22, 2013
Please someone report this school district to the Department of Education for not following their legal obligations for their Special Education Program. Cobble Stone and Rio Del Oro, both are awful places to send your children. If you live in this area send your child to Arboga Elementary. Academically they are far more advanced than Plumas Lake, and with better teachers. I'm sending my child back to Arboga just after a few weeks. Again, their Special Education services are horrible and they are not following legal procedures.

Posted July 03, 2013
Teachers here think they are better than everyone else, some are snotty and rude and absolutely DO NOT care about the children. Humiliation in front of other kids in the classroom happens even in kindergarten. Stay away from this school if you don't want your child to grow with low self esteem but watch out for Cobblestone too.... Not all teachers are probably bad but all it takes is one, one ruined child is one too many and a sign of bad leadership, if nothing else. Very disappointed parent

Posted May 24, 2013
II agree with all 3 of the posts below. While there are some very good k-2 teachers, there are a few landmines there as well. From 3rd grade forward however, the teachers concentrate almost exclusively on punitive reinforcement. There is very little encouragement, understanding, empathy, or positive reinforcement. Almost everything is concentrated on what you did wrong, how many missed questions will it take to fail, what the punishments will be when you fail, or make a mistake, etc. I was happy to hear that the principal will be moving to another district, however I fear that the teachers currently in place in the upper grades are so entrenched in their disciplinary practices, that it may take years to modify their attitudes and behaviors. Some of the teachers are straight up bullies, and it promotes a hostile attitude in the classrooms and playgrounds. My children will NOT be returning to Rio, period.

Posted May 03, 2013
If your child forgets to write their name on their assignment, then the teacher will rip it in front of the class.

Posted May 02, 2013
This school is great from K-2. The K-2 teachers are fantastic. After that, for 3-5, the disciplinary plan (or disciplinary chaos - more appropriately) is detrimental to conscientious students. Students lack control over when they will receive punishments which often include publicly humiliation. For example, if you as a parent forget to sign off on your child's homework one night, then your child must stand against the wall during recess. That makes the child feel humiliated and the child feels that they lack personal control over avoiding humiliation-type punishments. I could give many more examples of this type of punishment at the school. However, please note, that if you have a good student, then this is not the school for you. Your good student will dread going to this school every day. I would also say that the school is overly focused on test scores and not on encouraging students to learn and flourish.

Rio Del Oro Elementary School 5

Posted January 29, 2013
This is a great school. My daughter has attended Rio for almost 2 years and we both love this school. The teachers really care about the students as well as the principal.Small class sizes and a family oriented environment.

Rio Del Oro Elementary School 5

Posted January 23, 2012
I love rio! my children have been going to rio del oro for the last 3 years. rio has awesome teachers. I am very happy with my child's education. the only problem i have is the PTO , I am not happy with the leadership of the PTO we need a new leader!

Posted December 05, 2010
My son attended this school from K-3. I only wish I had pulled him out earlier. This school is full of wore out, negative teachers. He attends a different school now and his grades and attitude have improved immensely. At Rio Del Oro he had a D average and he hated to go to school everyday. He now has an A average and is always eager and willing to do go the extra mile to make his teacher proud. Rio Del Oro never positively inspires the children. I noticed it was all who you knew, who dressed the best, and if you didn't live in Plumas Lake and were part of the clickety mom's club.....you just did not fit in. DO NOT SEND YOUR CHILDREN HERE......MY BIGGEST REGRET. I would give ZERO stars but this website requires I put at least one.

Rio Del Oro Elementary School 0

Posted October 19, 2009
The teachers teach very education subjects to there students and make sure each student understands the subject.

Rio Del Oro Elementary School
1220 Zanes Drive, Plumas Lake, CA  95961
Last modified Rio Del Oro Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Rio Del Oro Elementary School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 35 reviews. Top