Bad
Good

Wonderful school. They have a brand new principal and many new staff members who have really changed the atmosphere of the school. New iPads in the classrooms and a great focus on PE and the arts. Their GATE program is outstanding and they brought back band for 5th graders.

Awhile ago when my kids went Bard had an exceptional Principal who left the district to lead districts in the county. Dr. Puglisi had a hand in much-developed a sports program for PE, developed the after school program subsequent leaders dismantled, ran music flag salutes, built and supported the library, supported and drove curriculum, had a big part in the coordination with the base, in short a guy that knew the job and did it 24/7. He personally did it. And people supported him incredibly. A TEAM. When the District leadership changed unfortunately a lot of what was great became strangled and lost. Now Bard remains better than other schools in the district now it touts "CHAMPS" as innovative-which is a behavioral program that turns all human interaction into a Skinnerian model. 1956. At some point the really great teachers that were there will all be retired and younger ones will be following culture of this school they never actually saw for themselves. And that's sad because the terrific is lessened under current district leadership . For my kids Bard did a great job-excellent actually. It was a place with a caring heart, arts, theater, enrichment, love of literature.

Fabulous school with talented, caring and cutting edge teachers and programs. My son flourished in the Dual-Immersion program. The teachers encouraged parent participation on and off campus, and invited me to share in my child's education. My son was challenged academically, while teaching him constructive processes to succeed socially and emotionally. Bravo Zulu!

If I could give them a ZERO, I would. They let children physically fight each other with no consequences (have seen this first hand), they have no accountability for teachers or students, and the parent communication is HORRIBLE. I got confronted by an upset parent throwing out accusations at me, and the school didn't seem concerned. The parent accused my child of bullying (he was not, could not be farther from the truth, there was another child he mistaked my kid for), the principal had gotten a call from the parent, but did not feel it was important to let the parent of the child know, so they decided to yell at me for it. There are a few rare gems at this school, a HANDFUL of caring teachers and staff, but for the most part, you have over-worked teachers that don't care about their students or parents. Had multiple parent/teacher/principal conferences before pulling my child out to a better school. Could not pay me to bring my child back here, STAY AWAY!

We love Bard! I have a 4th and 2nd grader. The principal, teachers and staff are wonderful and caring. Don't let the low rating scare you; Bard s really a great school. And if you're military and planning to live on the Hueneme base, it's a short walk off base -- bonus!

My oldest has been in this school for the past 5 and a half years. I have loved all of his teachers and he has done very well with all of them. He has been in the GATE program this year and last year and is also in Band. This is my younger son's second year. He is in the dual language program and loves it. Bard has so much to offer it's kids and parents. They have so many programs and help available. I love the teachers, staff and principal.

Last modified Richard Bard Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.