Portola Valley, CA

Posted October 21, 2014
This is my daughter's 3rd year at Woodland and I can't imagine her anywhere else. Her 1st year there (kindergarten) was a big transition year, living abroad since her birth. She immediately felt a part of the Woodland community and thrived. The small class sizes, as well as their dedicated teaching and administrative staff, helped her to flourish in her new environment. She learned to read in record time, made good friends early on and was / is excited to go to school every day. I too very much feel a part of the experience and am so appreciative of the warm welcome we both received from the very beginning. As a parent, you can be as involved as you are able to and there are many opportunities for parents to participate and get to know teachers, classmates, curriculum, etc. What really sealed the deal for me was attending one of the graduation ceremonies. Witnessing the graduating students deliver their speeches with such confidence and poise, standing up in front of a large audience, so articulate with their delivery and clearly comfortable with public speaking. I knew then, as I know now, what a good decision we made in choosing Woodland School.

Posted August 18, 2014
Very good school. We have been very happy with the education our daughter is receiving. Caring teachers and lots of improvements being made both to the physical environment and the curriculum. Take the negative reviews with a grain of salt...some people have an axe to grind.

Woodland School 1

Posted July 02, 2014
Unfortunately, I have to agree with one of the other reviewers who complained about Woodland not being organized after I received my 7th grader's report card and ERB scores today (July 2 )....ERB test was taken on Ap 4).....there was no letter accompanying his scores, no brochure, no nothing to explain how I am to understand his scores....just the scores with numbers 1 - 9. Why is the school sending me his test schools in the middle of the summer? Don't other school send them during the school year in case a parent wants to have a conference to understand their child's performance. Again, Woodland has left us in the dark.

Posted June 13, 2014
Woodland is in so much transition and has made such disastrous mistakes including teach burn out, it is not work your time. I suggest you re-evaluate them in a few years to see if circumstances and administrative staff get their acts together.

Posted June 04, 2014
Woodland has been disappointing and inconsistent. For the past 3 years, we have had three different P.E. programs bc the school kept changing their opinions about the role of P.E. in private school --- one year we didn't have any PE during the school day but were promised an extra "A" on the child's report card if he/she took 2 after-school sports...and guess what, the school never gave those A's. Some of the teachers are exceptional and some are just down right cruel. These "mean" onse usually have little to no teaching experience before Woodland...my daughter has 3 times had teachers who had no previous experience teaching, although 2 of those teachers have turned out fine -- they just had to learn at my child's expense. The overall characteristics about this school in my mind is disorganization and inconsistency.
3 people found this helpful

Posted June 04, 2014
Woodland has become increasingly *disorganized* as it tries to double its size and run a capital campaign. Very frustrating. Some teachers are good to great and some are just horrible. Many have no prior teaching experience nor licensed credentials.
3 people found this helpful

Posted March 16, 2014
I have had a child in every grade now at Woodland School and have been very happy throughout my 12-year involvement with the school. It is a preK - 8th grade school with a focus on 1) academics 2) character and 3) community. The curriculum is continually updated by amazing teachers who are well-trained and care about every student. The school has ethics and S.E.L instruction weekly for every grade. The community is diverse and representative of Silicon Valley who place a high emphasis on education for their children. There is a nice global focus as well with 4th-8th grade weekly current event reports, the 8th grade Capstone project and the trip abroad.

Woodland School 3

Posted December 05, 2013
If your child has learning differences, I would not send them to Woodland. While you may get buy in from the administrators, you won't get it from the teachers in the upper grades. While some schools are almost too kid focused, this one seems to be too teacher-focused. On the other hand, the parent community is hands on user friendly and welcoming. The kid community is genuinely diverse with plenty of opportunities to share that culture with others. The school also had good handle on the bullying issue among the students. Some of the teachers like to rule with a heavy hand--verbally not physically--however.

Posted February 12, 2013
Woodland is an amazing school. We moved our 6th grader this year (he had attended K-5 at a Catholic school in Redwood City) as we felt he needed a more challenging curriculum and smaller class size. It was definitely the right move. The staff and teachers are so positive and truly work with your child to make sure they succeed. We have been impressed with every aspect of the school. Making the move to Woodland was definitely worth the money. We feel our child will be ready for high school and beyond with the education he is getting here.

Woodland School 4

Posted February 11, 2013
We're a middle school family and have been impressed with the teachers, curriculum and support for our child. The block model scheduling allows time for deeper learning in the classroom. Homework is not just busy work - it's thoughtful, age appropriate and not overwhelming. The Head of School has done an excellent job bringing motivated, inspiring and talented teachers in to join the Woodland team. We are very happy at Woodland and think it's an excellent middle school option.

Woodland School