Twin Peaks Middle School

Public | 6-8

Living in Poway

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $406,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,540.

Posted May 16, 2014

We no longer attend this school. It has one of the worst reputations for bullying and not responding to parents in that regard, even with the new principal. They are more concerned with covering their bottoms that attending to serious issues. Our child was bullied by a teacher and it had life changing consequences for us. Beware. There are some exceptional teachers here and some teachers who should be fired for misconduct. I hear better things about the other PUSD middle schools.

Posted May 1, 2014

My daughter had a wonderful experience at TP and my son who is currently at TP is excelling! There are some extraordinary teachers at this school who love kids and want them to succeed....there are only a few (minimal) who only 'teach' and do not work 'with' kids...as each child is different. I believe that the principal Dr. Burke (who has kids of her own) loves kids, wants them to succeed, and will make any changes necessary so that TP builds good, solid, human beings.

Posted June 24, 2013

Elementary to middle school is a rough transition for our children. Twin Peaks was a terrible experience for my daughter. There is little to NO discipline and a lack of authority. Some kids have NO values, my daughter was sexually harassed by text messaging, with VERY vulgar comments. I went to the principal and reported it, they seemed to take it seriously but the kids were never even suspended when my daughter was suspended for a day for keeping someone's cell phone for too long and not wanting to give it back, which "they" interpreted as stealing and wrote it in her file. I requested them to write objective facts and they ignored my request. The kid AGREED for her to use it. The actions don't compare to one another. In my opinion sexual harassment is much worse, but little was done. I encourage you to sit outside the school before you enroll your kid and observe the way girls are dressed even though there is a NO shorts, spaghetti straps policy. As you can imagine, the bullying is out of control. It is a mess.

Posted June 11, 2013

My daughter has just finished 6th grade at this school, and it has been a nightmare! I feel sorry for all the upcoming fifth graders coming next year, as they have NO idea what they're in for. I cannot blame it 100% on the teachers and leadership, but their professionalism and performance leave a lot to be desired.

Posted October 9, 2011

Twin Peaks Middle School has great teachers who have high standards and expect organization and responsibility from their students. The counselors are involved and helpful. The PTSA encourages parent involvement. Whenever someone asks my kids about their school, they always make comments about the school that are overwhelmingly positive!

Posted October 5, 2011

I'm underwhelmed. My son is a new student at this school. The staff couldn't make him feel more unwelcomed even if they tried. This is a mis-understood school, it's a bad shool. Don't go there.

Posted August 11, 2011

TWIN PEAKS IS A GREAT SCHOOL!!! All 3 of my boys have been through this school. The support that my children and I received from the staff and the administration was outstanding. The kids are great and teachers really care. I am beyond satisfied with our experience at TPMS!

Posted August 10, 2011

My son is now going into 8th grade and I have been very impressed with the high standards set by his teachers and how he has been guided to be responsible for his own work and to be organized. The rotating block schedule with the longer class periods has allowed in depth assignments in class and group learning opportunities. My son is more of the academic type and was worried about fitting in. But from day one he has always felt safe and comfortable at this school. The parents are very involved in Foundation, PTSA, and Science Olympiad and volunteer to help run events. I think this school is very focused on personal responsibility and high academic standards.

Posted June 2, 2011

WHAT EVER YOU DO DON'T SEND YOUR CHILD HERE! This school has known for months that my son has been bullied and has done NOTHING about it. Even when I go to them and tell them that my 12 year old doesn't want to live anymore because of the hitting and name calling they continue to let this happen to him. They don't take care of the kids there and will not protect thier physical and mental state!!!!

Posted March 28, 2011

Great school, I've been attending for 2 years. I only have one problem, some of the P.E. teachers are totally unfair about how much you have to exert yourself. Other then that it a great school and the principle is really nice.

Posted January 29, 2011

I am a student in 6th grade here and I came from a home schooled environment (very advanced material) and all I can say is that Twin Peaks has been very frustrating for me. The teachers barely go over lessons in math, they just write it all out and expect you to get it right there on the spot. My grades have dropped tremendously from 3rd grade (the time I was last in public schools) & I just cannot seem do get them up; particularly in math. I really want to switch schools next year, hopefully it will be an easier experience.

Posted January 12, 2011

This is a great school. It is our first year here and they where so helpful in everyway. Teachers have answered my questions right away. My children are very happy here.

Posted January 12, 2011

This is my first year at TPMS and I was real nervous about everything at first. I was scared that I was going to get lost, that I wouldn't know anyone or meet anyone, and that I would have trouble with the block schedule. I was definitely wrong! It was real easy and even though people say that there are a lot of "trashy" kids there with piercings, mo hawks, and drugs, I haven't encountered any. Sure some kids cuss in the hallways and stuff, but you're going to find that at any school! The one problem that I have with TPMS is that some of the staff has been there for a little too long. After a teacher has been there for more than 20 years, they start to hate their job. The longer the teacher has been involved, the grouchier and more strict they are. Overall the school is okay. :)

Posted October 4, 2010

My child is having a problem with bullies at this school. The staff/administration has been less than responsive.

Posted September 28, 2010

This school could do a better job with teachers; I had a recent incident in 6th grade music class where my student got an F for not handing in her signed handbook on time because the teacher did not do his job in giving out the handbook to those students who did not have one it was up to the students to get one on their own, that was alright, however, we had an emergency computer crash that week this was explained but teacher still would not give out this handbook to be signed--I had to call the front desk at school in order to get a copy then I find out there is a deadline and my daughter rec'd an F. Confronted the teacher all he could say was basically too bad.

Posted April 18, 2010

What can I say, really. The teachers are horrible and confuse assignments. The school is painted like Taco Bell. And what's worse, there is an extreme bullying problem.

Posted September 16, 2009

The school has really worked out a system for transitioning kids from elementary to middle school, the village system and limited number of teachers in 6th grade really does make the shock easier for the kids. I'm really impressed with the way they have the school structured and running.

Posted October 26, 2008

Excellent School that puts the students first. Tutorials offered by teachers is excellent. Newer principal has prioritized learning and safety of the kids. Wonderful after school programs and very supportive Parent groups.

Posted May 4, 2007

I think the school has greatly improved since I attended 20 years ago. My daughter is in the 6th grade, and her teachers have been very supportive, they offer after shool tutorials for kids who need extra assistance with homework or general understanding of a lesson. They have always made time for me for meetings, they are quick to respond to e-mails and phone calls. I truly believe the staff care about the students and their education. The music program is uotstanding, the director has fun with the kids while teaching them the skills they need to succeed in the program. They even offer 3 opportunities a week for kids to see the director and practice in smaller groups.

Posted May 3, 2007

TPMS is a pretty good school but some teachers aren't the best. My child is about to graduate and has liked the school very much. Her 6th and 8th grade teachers were fantastic. Also, Twin Peaks has a really good band program with extremely good teachers. My child has really enjoyed band. The PE program is an excellent one too. In addition this school has been renovated and redone. The campus looks very nice now and really needed an update. In the end I recomend this school because of many outstanding teachers and fun activities for the students.

This school's

(2012)

9 / 10

3 / 10

API Growth scores over time

Did this school meet the API goal this year?
  • This school met the state goal of 800.

API Growth scores by subgroup

Did this school meet all the API goals for student subgroups this year?
  • This school did not meet all student subgroup API targets for 2013

Change from 2012 to 2013
API Statewide Rank
(2012)

9 / 10

API Statewide Rank (2012)

3 / 10

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 60% in 2013.

378 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 55% in 2013.

378 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 86% in 2013.

123 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 60% in 2013.

400 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 52% in 2013.

276 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 50% in 2013.

251 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 57% in 2013.

430 students were tested at this school in 2013.

2010

General Mathematics (Grades 6 & 7 Standards)

103 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 85% in 2013.

85 students were tested at this school in 2013.

History - Social Science Grade 8 Cumulative

442 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 67% in 2013.

428 students were tested at this school in 2013.

All Students74%

Parent education - some college (includes AA degree)65%
Parent education - college graduate81%
Parent education - graduate school/post graduate92%
Parent education - declined to state74%

General Mathematics (Grades 6 & 7 Standards)

All Students34%
Parent education - not a high school graduate25%
Parent education - high school graduate36%
Parent education - some college (includes AA degree)43%
Parent education - college graduate29%
Parent education - graduate school/post graduaten/a
Parent education - declined to state25%

Gifted and talented100%
Parent education - some college (includes AA degree)n/a
Parent education - college graduate100%
Parent education - graduate school/post graduate100%
Parent education - declined to staten/a

History - Social Science Grade 8 Cumulative

This school District averageState average
First-year teachers 10%N/AN/A
Source: Civil Rights Data Collection, 2011-2012

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Nurse(s)
School social worker/counselors(s)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school community.

Arts & music

Foreign languages taught
  • Spanish

Staff resources available to students
  • Nurse(s)
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
Transportation options