St. Michael's School 4

Posted December 16, 2014
My son has struggled the last few years and had grown very down on himself and his abilities. This year I attacked early, even before the school year began and started a plan for either moving my son to a new school in Poway public or remaining at St Michael's. The Poway public school ratio was 36 - 1 for 6th grade, (not good). St Michael's sat at 23-1. After some good nudging on my part, St Michael's really stepped up and created a customized learning plan for my child. We have had regular contact and emails and meetings. Also this year the school implemented an after school program called Outpost which has been a home run and blessing. A dedicated 1 hour of homework with one on one support. We went from C's, D's and borderline F's last year, to A's, B's and C's this year. It still requires a lot of work from a parents side to keep things on track and I know that is hard for us all. But being fair, St Michael's really stepped up this year and my son has been thriving because of it. 4 stars instead of 5 because it still takes much work from the parent to keep it heading correct. But the willingness for a school to adapt and grow is the essential part for success.

St. Michael's School 3

Posted August 04, 2014
Once a pond time, this was a great school, not anymore. The other two reviews in 2014 are dead on accurate. The principal, Kathy Mock, is a complete joke and more than half of the current teachers are intimidating to the children and don't care about the well being of the kids. It's a complete shame, as I finally had enough and removed my children from the school even through is was close to graduating. His self esteem fell big time over the past two years, he went from being an above average student to a below average student. The teachers did very little to help. The sad part is there are no teachers who you think back and say "that teacher made a different in my child's life". The assistance principal has been there for 30 years, if not longer. She needs to retire as she truly scars the children. My child said he rather fail than ask her about an assignment. There is another Catholic school near by which has excellent review. I would not recommend this school to anyone. btw - I have never seen the principal smile or engage in a friendly conversation with a parent and heaven forbid you point out something wrong. She will lecture you on how she is correct and you are wrong. SAD

Posted June 24, 2014
This school is very poorly run. The principal only cares about taking as much money as she can and no interest in improving the standards of the school to be on par with other local public schools. When we put our kids in the school they were far above average in all categories. Their scores have steadily dropped and are now barely above average. The administration has no clue how to implement common core, and the teachers grading is on some archaic total point scale that makes no sense. Speaking of the teachers, they run off any good teachers, and the only ones that remain are the brown nosing older ones who dislike children and take any chance to demean and insult kids leaving them living in constant fear of doing something wrong. The curriculum is way below the private high schools in the area, and also below all other local public schools. Do not waste your money. This school is in severe decline.

Posted March 25, 2014
My children went to this school in the 90's and at the time they had good teachers, but a few years down the line they started hiring teachers that I found to be rude and verbally harsh on the kids. My son was picked on by one of the teachers and she was so controlling that she started turning other teachers against my son. Even the principal at the time was controlled by this teacher. She never had a smile on her face. When you would smile at her or try to talk to her she was short and abrupt with you. I finally made the decision to remove my kids from the school. Unfortunately, this teacher marched herself to Principal and I have talked to several new parents that have complained over and over about her throughout the years. As you can see there has been reviews that are negative about her. It is her way or the highway. Sure education is good at this school, but when kids are having low self- esteem because the way teachers treat them, like this teacher did to my child, the outcome is more damaging. So, I would think twice about sending your child there if that Principal is present.

Posted March 02, 2012
St. Michael's does a great job! We have children in multiple grades and have been very pleased with the academic rigor, the sense of community, and the incorporation of Christian values into all aspects of the school day. The administration is very accessible and receptive to suggestions and the faculty is great at helping each child achieve his or her full potential. An increasing focus on the incorporation of technology into all disciplines helps ensure the kids are well prepared for high school and beyond. Advanced classes give those students with stronger skills the ability to challenge themselves. The St. Michael's students are known at Cathedral, Saints, OLP and the other high schools they go on to to be some of the strongest students academically. Having two classes of students per grade creates an ideally sized environment where the kids are still able to receive individualized attention from the faculty but have a large enough group of peers to help them develop the social skills they'll need for the larger academic environments they'll enter as they move on in their education. We continue to be very pleased with our decision to send our children to St. Michael's.

Posted February 25, 2012
Such an amazing school! We have been so happy with the the entire experience at the school! Our son has such a complete, well rounded education! Not only is he challenge every day without any fluff teaching through the days, he also experiences the extra classes of weekly music, art, spanish, library and PE 3 times a week. He is enriched academically, spiritually, and there is such a feeling of family and community at St. Michael's. We are so Blessed to be a part of this school!

St. Michael's School 4

Posted August 18, 2011
So far, so good. My daughter has been going to this school for 2 years. She's had two good teachers and always looks forward to going to school. The only concern I have is that if your child is advanced in any subject, they don't seem to be interested in advanced learning in the classroom. They do, however, encourage it at home. Not a perfect school, but great so far.

St. Michael's School 2

Posted March 09, 2011
I was a student here from kindergarten to the end. I am sure this place is quite different from how it was in the '90s. However, I'll write a review, anyway: maybe someone will find it useful. I found it an extremely stressful experience, mainly because of the social atmosphere. Kids at this school are mean (esp. the girls)! It did not help that teachers set a bad example by treating some students better than others. Which brings me to my next point: Many teachers clearly had favorites--and "unfavorites," if you will. One year, I was one of the latter. My teacher SCREAMED at me for my messy desk in front of the class, threatening to dump it over (A--it wasn't that messy and B--I was only 9!). I also remember having to perform uncreative, boring tasks repeatedly if it was not satisfactory to the teacher (yes, starting in kindergarten). This taught me to be slow and inefficient, and I am still suffering the consequences in school today. I WILL say that this school taught me to be an excellent writer (might not show here), and I suppose I'm above average in math skills, too. Still, this school does a poor job of bringing up kids to their full potential.

Posted December 09, 2010
The new principal is not a very good communicator. She received a lower rating this year on the parents survey, then proceeded to suggest in a presentation at the open house that the survey must be wrong because she was doing great. The vice principal has a chip on her shoulder and uses the teachers against the kids of parents who stand up to her. Ther are some good teachers but the administration is poor.

Posted October 30, 2010
It has often been tough to get in to St. Mike's, but once you get in you'll understand why. Top notch.

St. Michael's School