Coyote Canyon Elementary School

Public | K-4 | 773 students

Posted May 27, 2014

Coyote Canyon Elementary in Rancho Cucamonga is ABSOLUTELY FANTASTIC. PASSIONATE TEACHERS AND STRONG LEADERS. They are enthusiastic for education and the well being of children. Every teacher I have encountered, have the same things in common, which is their PASSION FOR CHILDREN EDUCATION AND ADVANCEMENT! They always do their best! I applaud Dr. Knechtel in how he is leading the school. They are also quick to implement safety measures and inform parents promptly! The campus is beautiful and my children are flourishing. I am very pleased and grateful for the staff at Coyote Canyon Elementary.

Posted April 8, 2014

This is a great school with very involved parents and teachers. The staff is very helpful as well.

Posted September 7, 2013

Both of my children have been attending Coyote Canyon since Kindergarten. We have loved this school since day one. We especially loved Mrs.Calamusa their Kindergarten teacher. She truly cares for her students and prepares them for first grade very well. My oldest is now in forth grade and we have loved all his teachers. He is in the GATE program now band is reading at a 6grade level. My youngest is now in 2nd grade and has done very well also she is reading at a 5thgrade level. They also have an amazing volunteer sistetem. So many fun activities and I can truly go on and on about this great school. We have loved it since day one and are very glad our children attend Coyote Canyon !

Posted August 14, 2013

Coyote Canyon is such an amazing school!!! I've never seen a school who's teachers truly care about their students. They have a strong PTO who does so much for the school. They have their own parent teacher coordinator who plans school wide events that are truly amazing. Last year the kids got to take a mock flight to Hawaii when they arrived waiting for them was a lei, Hawaiian food, hula dancers and all. I truly feel blessed thtat my children go to Coyote Canyon!

Posted December 26, 2012

Terrible school! They care more about looking good/ scores than actually making a diffrence for a child. The teachers all gossip among each other, and have their favorites that include parents and students. Parking is a nightmare, Office staff are rude and preoccupied with their own personal agenda and most impostantly my son is being robbed of a descent education. I only transfered him here because the school was closer to our new apt, but I cant wait until this school year is over because he will be returning to his old school where he was a top honor student and achieved higher than average scores on state testing. I'll be fair and say that the school is good for social activities and bringing in/ asking for money, but they really need to balnce it with putting education first.

Posted May 1, 2012

If you are looking at schools in Rancho Cucamonga, Coyote Canyon is an excellent school. Not only is the campus beautiful but the school has many wonderful teachers and parents. I understand that a few parents out of 750+ students have had bad experiences and usually those are the ones that post comments because of their frustration. You need to check out the school and decide for yourself. I have felt so welcome at the school this year. They have a lot of different ways to get involved. Coming from a lower performing area, I have been blown away at how the students are performing at a high level. The principal, office, volunteer coordinator, and teacher have made this a great experience. I recommend getting involved. Did I mention the API scores are close to 900. That is pretty amazing. This year my child jumped 2 grade levels in reading and it excelling. I moved to Rancho because of the schools and I have been very happy with my choice.

Posted February 15, 2012

My son attended this school K-4 2005-2010.He did very well academically but not well socially. He would shut down in the classroom, hide under desks when frustrated and could not make any friends. Every teacher he had complained about his behavior. He even had a group of bullies who left bruises on him and made each day a living hell for him. When I complained to the current principle, she said my son was asking for attention from these bullies and that he himself was a bully. I finally had my son psychologically evaluated due to severe depression from all of this and he was diagnosed with Asperger Syndrome, a form of Autism. Why did this Principle and her staff of teachers not notice my characteristics could possibly be Autistic? Since these teachers spend time with children most of the day, they should be trained in this type of behavior in order to advise parents of their observations and also to protect the child. It's a shame. My son could have taken behavioral/pragmatics classes to prepare him for middle school.

Posted August 28, 2011

Not very happy with the school. I agree with the poster that stated her children are not being adequately prepared. They aren't. The minute I can get my child out of here, I'm getting her out. The campus is dirty, the rules are arbitrarily enforced - my child is also getting A's in this school but I check her homework and I know she is not being challenged and that she is not being given an adequate education. The principal sends home grammatically incorrect memos.... not a good school.

Posted July 8, 2011

I LOVE THIS SCHOOL!!! LOVE IT!!! Did I mention that I love this school -lol. We transfered from David Long and oh my goodness what a different atmosphere CC has. Where do I begin to brag about this school.The Principal is beyond exellent, awesome and amazing. I could just go and on and on. I mean she loves kids and has a heart for the underdog. The staff looks out for the children and wants them to learn. Mrs. Pastor was teacher of the year and I am so glad she'll be a Ruth M. I wish it didn't end at 4th grade, but I am just so thankful that we had this opportunity. This school was an answer to prayer.

Posted August 30, 2010

I wrote the previous comment, and I was and am a very involved parent. My daughter was receiving A's and B's at coyote canyon. When she started the new school C's and D's, because she had no idea what was going on. These concepts were never touched, Coyote Canyon was so far behind. She has since caught up and made honor roll at her Alta Loma school district school. I have also met several parents with the same situation, they leave Coyote thinking the kids know what they should, and find out how far behind they actually are.

Posted August 2, 2010

My son went to kindergarten at coyote canyon on 2009-2010, it was not a very good year for him because the teacher kept on asking us to get him out of school, because he was not ready. It turns out he was autistic. I wish you good luck. Remember if you don't ask they will not tell you.

Posted June 17, 2010

I recently moved to the area, my daughter is going to Coyote Canyon Elementry in August. She will start Kindgarden and needed to know if there are any recommendation. Much Thank......

Posted July 29, 2009

this school has an ecellent staff that are willing to help children be educated for the future

Posted January 3, 2009

My 13 year old attended this school K-4 and loved it. My 5year old started kinder this year with Mrs. Maylad and absolutly loves school. The staff at Coyote Canyon is the best. My 13yr old was one of their first diabetics and the staff was GREAT! I highly recommend COYOTE CANYON! Refering to cmmt dated 4/26/06 - FYI- the 5th graders ARE NOT 'shuffled off to deal with 7th/8th graders.' My eldest is at Ruth Musser middle school & doing great. All grades are seperated for the most part. Some parents should do their research B 4 making such comments. Coyote Canyon is Awsome!

Posted December 12, 2008

My son attended This school from 2nd grade to 4th grade. We loved this school the teachers were very helpful and patient with our sons learning disability. The school has pride and respect for one another is very important. My son has only fond memeries of his three years at Coyote Canyon. We have moved to the Seattle area now and I'm sad to say the schools do not meet my expectations the way they did in Coyote Canyon.

Posted October 13, 2008

My son just started kinder here with Mrs. Calamusa. We could not be happier ! He loves going to school everyday and actually enjoys doing his homework ! I was initially hesistant with him attending kinder with his late bday and 'hyperactivity', but he's already learning to read and knows all his letters in sign !

Posted April 26, 2006

Academic Programs at this school are top notch...extracurricular activities are definitely lacking and there are way to many students for this school teaching only K-4th. Disappointed that it only goes to 4th grade and students are then shuffled off to a middle school to deal with 7th and 8th graders as 5th graders.

Posted August 27, 2005

My girls attend Coyote canyon. The teachers and the principal are great! The only thing we don't like is the location of the school. If this school was in the Alta Loma area, it be a 5 star school for me and my family.

Posted August 26, 2005

My daughter attended coyote canyan for 2 yrs. The teachers are excellant. The only bad thing is the location. Its a very open campass.

Posted August 18, 2005

My two boys attend Coyote Canyon and I adore this school. I love the staff and the principal is awesome! The teachers have challenged my boys and keep them right on track. I am very pleased with their grades and look forward to this upcoming year!

This school's

(2012)

7 / 10

4 / 10

API Growth scores over time

Did this school meet the API goal this year?
  • This school met the state goal of 800.

API Growth scores by subgroup

Did this school meet all the API goals for student subgroups this year?
  • This school met all student subgroup API targets for 2013

Change from 2012 to 2013
API Statewide Rank
(2012)

7 / 10

API Statewide Rank (2012)

4 / 10

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 56% in 2013.

154 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

154 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 46% in 2013.

160 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 66% in 2013.

161 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 65% in 2013.

155 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 72% in 2013.

156 students were tested at this school in 2013.

All Students57%

Teacher experience

This school District averageState average
First-year teachers 0%N/AN/A
Source: Civil Rights Data Collection, 2011-2012

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

7889 Elm Avenue