Bad
Good

This school is completely overrated! My son was in 6th grade magnet and a just a few months into 7th grade before I transferred him. We couldn't take it anymore. Teachers are horrible at communicating and they have a grading system (jupiter grades) that they don't update regularly. Regularly as in they were 2 months behind. What's the point right? His 7th grade magnet math teacher told parents at back to school night "I don't give homework or a lot of classwork because that would mean 200 papers to grade. I don't have time!" I'm sorry, if their teachers didn't have time, then my child definitely doesn't belong at their school. I transferred immediately! My son is thriving at his new school with teachers and administration who actually care. Send your kids elsewhere, this school will set them back years.

Very high expectations in the SAS program, 2016 they have pre-AP history & english. The only thing bad about the school is the homework. As I write this it's 12:18 AM my granddaughter has about 2 more hours of homework, maybe 7 to 9 hours aday.

Very disappointed in this school. I thought this was a very high magnet school! The staff are not that great. They do not listen to their students. My son was raising his hand to go to the nurses office but the teachers ignored him and left him there. He threw up on the bus later on. I wish the staff were more caring about the students

Very disappointed in this school. I'm son was in the gifted program at his other school. He has never been in a regular class before. But this school put him in them. So I told my tribe not to send them money.

I went to this school from 2009-2012, which is not too long ago and my opinion can still be pretty up to date. I really loved coming to this school because it's a school where everyone feels welcomed and you get support from some. As I was in 6th grade, I was in the SAS Gifted program and I loved it! It was great. Then 7th and 8th grade I was switched into the Magnet Program and it was pretty good, too. I learned a lot in school, but not enough to go into high school. I was doing poorly when I got into the Magnet Program. I not only was bullied in those two years(I always went to my counselor to speak about the bullying but nobody ever heard me!!) but also my counselor told me that because of how poor I was doing, she didn't think I would graduate high school. That really made me lose hope and I stopped trying completely in school. Overall, I loved this school because of the amazing teachers, especially the choir teacher Mrs. Pelletier. Dodson is a great school, but it does have its flaws.

I am an alumni student from Dodson and I also was bussed in from Wilmington. I went on to graduate from HS and college with my BA and now my daughter is a 7th grader at Dodson. I chose to not have her bussed in. I make the drive everyday before and after school because I didnt want her to be labled as a WILMINGTON kid as I was. Because of that I did experience some problems with the kids from Pedro. So to those who say the Wilmington kids are bad Im here to say Pedro has bad apples too! Matter of fact my cousin who attended Dodson with me was a Pedro student and she was the one who chose to ditch and by the way got caught. I on the other hand never ditched. SO with that I am here to say its not the school who produces bad students. Its the parents. If us parents dont instill in our kids a passion to learn and if we dont motivate and encourage them, then how can we expect them to get good grades, choose not to ditch, and succeed. Teachers are given a classroom of children that are products of us parents. My daughter is in Magnet, straight A's, involved in leadership and she has friends from both Wilmington and San Pedro.

Dodson is an AMAZING SCHOO. I am an eighth grader (class of 2014) and honestly this school is a great fit for me. Yes, some kids being bussed cause problems, but not all. There are problems at all schools. In comparison to my home school (Curtiss middle school) Dodson is completely safe. I totally disagree with the comments on the kids from the housing project. The teachers are very effective. The ONLY thing i didn't like was the physical education was mainly based off of running. I would DEFINITELY recommend this school. - Submitted by a student

First of all, the comments in reference to children from Wilmington or from the housing project are ridiculous. My son is fortunate to know students from various areas of the South Bay. If you are a parent that is fully aware of your child's schedule, activities your child will do well (isn't that what we do anyway). Dodson teachers use technology to enhance learning - thank goodness. That is a trend that is isn't going away. I personally am proud that my son is exposed to subject matter he gets now, instead of when I got it in college. Allow your child to be challenged now. Middle school does not count towards college (sorry it doesn't - don't tell your child), Prep for high school in organizational skills is what they will primarily get. One big negative is the principal needs more experience in developing a relationship with parents. I want anticipatory guidance regarding my child's academic experience. I want to be called when it is appropriate. Perhaps if they developed a web based general question message board on the home page. There access to frequently asked questions/concerns - a parent could start a dialog with their child to enhance the middle school expeience.

First and foremost, this school is completely overrated! It is a beautiful- looking school in a nice/quiet area, but one of the problems is too many"badly behaved" kids from areas such as Wilmington and other areas being bused into the school. Additionally, project housing is within walking distance and there are quite a few "badly behaved" kids that attend from there as well. I know that not all kids are bad from these areas. The (new) Principal severely lacks in experience, people skills, teaching knowledge, vision, and seems to have obtained the position based on connections. When fights do occur at this school, they are minimized and put in hush mode( as if they never happened) instead of having assemblies to combat them. The assistant principals are good and there are some good teachers, but there are some that need to leave the profession, due to lack of concern/care for students and using constant "drill seargant" teaching methods. It seems that only the gifted program is the only thing lifting up overall test scores...API, etc. Beware! A completely overrated school.

this school is really good my child came here and she never had problems good job!

Last modified Rudecinda Sepulveda Dodson Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.