Rancho Palos Verdes, CA

Soleado Elementary School 3

Posted October 31, 2013
Soleado is a lovely school if your child is above grade level. With the exception of one first-grade teacher, Burson, no one appears to know how to differentiate learning. As a former reading teacher and a classroom teacher with a master's degree, It is disheartening to see my grandchild being pidgeon-holed by a teacher who is new to a grade level who is very defensive and probably just holding her head above water. This seems to be a wasted year.

Posted September 12, 2013
Currently, all 3 of children attend Soleado. It is a fantastic school and I could not be happier. The teachers are really caring educators that bring out the best in my children. My children have all had wonderful teachers. I'm saddened to read some of the negative remarks about the former principal. I know he is a caring administrator and great educational leader, in fact the best I've ever encountered. Furthermore, I was very disappointed that he has moved on to be principal of Miraleste instead of Ridgecrest where my children will be moving on to after Soleado. My children are happy and learning. I hope that funding remains available to continue the music, art, and phys ed. programs. Again, this is a fantastic school and should be the benchmark for elementary education.

Posted June 16, 2013
We just finished our second year at Soleado. This is a high achieving school with a very diverse student body. Teachers are very dedicated. Principal is involved in everything from quality of teaching to greeting everyone and being involved with all school activities. Parents are very involved. Everyone works together well making it a warm and supportive environment for the kids. We feel blessed to be in this school.

Posted May 21, 2013
I've heard this is a great school. I agree to sign in for this school. I will become a teacher for this school too. I am very excited.

Posted April 11, 2013
This is such a great school, the principal is great and really involved in the school, with the parents and the students. My daughter is in Kindergarten and she LOVES it!! The teachers are really patient and experienced.

Posted September 24, 2012
I could not be happier that my child attends Soleado. The Principle, Mr. Allen, is an amazing leader and a great role model for the students. He inspires teachers, students and parents. In fact, many of the teachers in the district do their best to send their own children to Soleado. The academic standards are excellent; the moral and ethical codes of the school are excellent. We have had an amazing few years at Soleado and look forward to more. i am shocked to hear of the negative review below, but based on the author's vitriolic attitude, which is not a reflection of the culture at the School, I imagine there is another side to the story. Regardless, I could not be more pleased to have my child be a part of the Soleado community.

Soleado Elementary School 1

Posted September 05, 2012
The principle is very disrespectful . His name is Mr Allen. Get a new principle !

Soleado Elementary School 1

Posted September 05, 2012
Reality check, and I'll also speak for those parents who have even shared negative disappointing comments with me about Soleado, except they wont speak up 'against' this supposedly high rated school, NOT! I had to UN-enroll one of my kids, not because he was bad but because he was bored, not learning to his capacity. Teachers tend to complain to parents a lot, which means teachers cant handle the situations or learning problems that arise. The principal has had the nerve to call me for very inappropriate insinuations and personal matters which have wasted my time several times. I have reached my last nerve with his uncalled for attitude, hence I've taken the time to finally give this real review. He seems to have been offended or taken my child's removal from 'HIS' school too personally. Don't be fooled, he may seem nice and geeky but he definitely is annoying in a discrete manner. This school tries too hard with its image because underneath it all that's all it is, IMAGE. But I understand parents here have to pride themselves with the school their children are required to attend. Yes its RPV, I did expect quality w/humility but hopefully Soleado realizes its not just about IMAGE!

Posted June 06, 2012
I have 6 children and moved around a bit due to my husbands military duty. So I have experience as a mom of a WIDE range of elementary schools over the last 25 years, including private schools. THIS school is by far my favorite. The teachers are all deeply passionate about what they do and love their job....you see it in every single thing that every single one of them do! The Principle, Kevin Allen, is by far the most involved, caring, passionate and motivated leader I have ever come across. They all work as a family and strive to make sure that every single child is getting exactly what they need--AND--in a safe, kind environment teaching, through integrated programs and principles, important life lessons, values, morals, compassion and kindness as well to their students every single day. The parents are deeply involved and excited to participate strengthening everything else that is going on as well. All of that makes an enormously beautiful school and experience for the children, parents and staff as well. I LOVE THIS SCHOOL. !!!!!!

Posted May 02, 2012
We moved to Palos Verdes specifically for the schools and could not be happier with Soleado. We've been a Soleado family for five years and have two children here. The teachers and staff are caring and attentive. There are numerous levels of learning for all types of students. Whether a student needs further challenges, a little push or a lot more help to get up to grade level, this is a place that focuses on every child, not just the top or bottom learners. In addition, I have found the parent community very supportive and friendly, which is much appreciated for a two-worker family with no family/nanny support. Finally, as someone of multi-ethnic background who grew up in mid-LA, I get that Soleado is not some people's ideal of a "diverse" school. But be realistic; you're looking at RPV, not LA. According to 2010 census data, RPV is 62% Caucasian, 29% Asian, 8.5% Hispanic and 2.4% African-American. By comparison, Soleado is very diverse. Not to mention, "diverse" comes in many forms. Not all Asians, for example, are the same. To me, what matters more than the statistics is how Soleado teaches tolerance, kindness and acceptance.

Soleado Elementary School
27800 Longhill Drive, Rancho Palos Verdes, CA  90275
Last modified Soleado Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Soleado Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 35 reviews. Top