No rating

Serra Catholic Elementary School

Private | K-8

Living in Rancho Santa...

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $343,800. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $2,070.

Sweep tile

Posted March 26, 2014

We are very pleased with Serra Catholic School. It has provided our child with the proper experience balance of spiritual, academic, technology, social awareness, and athletic education. We fully support the school's philosophy of education through a Catholic perspective, especiailly in light of the Common Core curriculum concerns that I have. I appreciate the sense of accountability that parents, administrators, teachers & faculty, and the students all hold for one another. The sense of family commitment is reminiscient of the traditions found at Notre Dame University, and our alma mater, the University of Southern California.

Posted March 14, 2014

My daughters have been at Serra for the last 4 years and we could not be happier - You will not find a better atmosphere for your children for both character and curriculum.

Posted February 18, 2014

My kids are at Serra at the moment, but we won't be returning next year. I have been at the school for 4 years, and I have to say this isn't the kind of environment I want for them. The school cares about money, everything revolves around money. Sure they are "Catholic", but I don't think Catholic education is their strongest value, it isn't perceived in all that they do. The school puts more importance on people who donate money, they will let you be a room parent time and time again if you give money, or be part of the PTO if you give money, but those who don't give, don't stand a chance. The same people are room parents every year, nobody else stands a chance. You have to be on the principals good side in order to be heard. It really is quite sad, we put our children there although it is a financial struggle to us...but our voice isn't heard because we don't give extra money. Although we pay $1600 a month for our kids to go there. I know my kids love the school, but they don't see the problems I see with the administration. Serra is too corporate for us. I have to say though, I have met some wonderful people there and I will miss them tons.

Posted February 6, 2014

I first experienced Serra Catholic School as a parent in 1997, and I became a staff member in 1999. (I acknowledge that I am biased as a result of my personal and professional experience!) As a Catholic school, Serra strives to teach students to model the Catholic faith and to live in accordance with the spiritual, moral, and ethical principles exemplified by Christ. Although this was our primary reason for sending our children to Serra, it wasn't the only reason. It was also important that our children would receive an excellent education that would prepare them for high school and beyond. Serra met and exceeded our expectations in both regards! The school does an excellent job of educating students with a variety of cognitive, academic, emotional, behavioral, and physical strengths and needs by providing a variety of programs and experiences that develop the unique potential of each child. Serra offers a diversified education program, advanced plus and accommodated classes in Language Arts and Math, a thriving athletic program, and many co-curricular and extra-curricular opportunities for students. It is an ideal environment for students to learn and grow!
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted February 5, 2014

Our school supports students with all types of learning and attention issues. The school provides leveled reading classes in reading and math with small group accommodated classes for those who have learning challenges and those who are gifted. When a child has attention issues, teachers begin with making accommodations in the classroom for the child. These include preferential seating, reducing distractions and redirection to stay on task. If the child needs more support a daily home note is developed in order to document behavior and reward attentive behaviors. If more support is needed an Individualized Learning Plan is developed with the teacher, administration and parents. The school has a full time clinical psychologist who counsels parents and students and can recommend in-depth evaluations if needed. Sometimes student support assistants are used to help students.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted August 6, 2013

We have two kids at Serra, and we think the school is awesome... I would highly recommend this school based on excellent education, teachers & catholic faith.

Posted January 27, 2013

So far we have been treated wonderfully. The first day we walked into the open house, the admissions director knew my children's names, the first day! I hope the academics are as good as they say but so far everyone has been very welcoming, polite and realistic. I know how expensive education is in this country and with facilities like these you can't expect prices like the schools in old, run down buildings with old equipment and carpet that smells humid. Not here, it's all new, clean and great!

Posted October 28, 2012

Very dissapointed in the school. All they care about is raising money and the president doesn't care who you are unless you have a lot of money. She dresses totally inappropriately. The principals are so out of touch and act high and mighty often telling parents how to parent their children. They are way too focused on testing and push the kids before they are developmentally ready for some things. They do not practice what they preach and my children have learned that money can buy you into the "good teacher's" class and that kids whose parents are rich can get away with being bullies. This will be our last year at this school.

Posted August 3, 2012

I am new to the school having just enrolled my child. Here is my experience: (1) I have already been invited to a "Serra" BBQ to meet other families; (2) I have been matched with another family for "play-dates" in advance of my child's first day at school - so he knows someone starting on "day one;" (3) I already have an appointment to meet with the staff and teacher, as well as an alumni parent to assist with orientation. I am simply impressed with this level of outreach. Maybe I am easily impressed, but as someone new to non-public education, I am very happy with what I am seeing so far. As for the "wait" when dropping off kids in the morning - yes, I have heard this from lots of people. But after seeing the crowded "Noah's Ark" of a public school in my neighborhood with rows of kids and desks even in the hallways if you can believe it (Irvine - I was in shock) I see no option if I expect the best possible opportunities for my child to thrive.

Posted June 23, 2012

Serra Catholic School has changed so much, be prepared to wait on line forever to drop your kids! Serra Catholic became a very big coorporate school. It is not a place where you learn Catholic values, since the new middle school building arrived the financial part became more important than the Catholic faith.After 5 years at the school, the assistant principal still didn't know who we were. A Catholic school that lost its way.

Posted April 24, 2012

Serra is an awesome school. We have an excellent education. Serra is the school to send your catholic kids.

Posted March 6, 2012

This school has been such a blessing. We have been at the school for 6 years and it is wonderful to have our Catholic beliefs ingrained in every aspect of the school. The school is also great academically and offers a good selection of sports, Boy Scouts, Cub Scouts, American Heritage Girls and other great extracurricular activities. The administration and teachers serve as great examples to our children in everyway including our Catholic faith. We would never think of sending our kids anywhere else!

Posted January 17, 2011

Outstanding school! This is a our first year here and we transferred from another private school in OC. The teachers are the best. The families are very welcoming and the administration could not be any better. We love everything Serra has to offer and are quite proud to have our children attending such a great school!

Posted October 3, 2010

Amazing School. This is our first year there and we love every aspect of it...we love the academics...the decication to the administration to the academics...the love and respect the teachers have for the children and the love and respect the teachers expect from the children. Families are very encouraged to get involved and the families are so kind to one another...I am in awe

Posted January 20, 2009

We love Serra! This is our 9th year at Serra and the quality of education keeps getting better. The teachers are amazing and the students love being here. They truly show respect for one another...What a blessing!

Posted November 23, 2008

An absolute bargain...your kid is accountable from day !, and bullying/extreme behavior is not tolerated-I once asked my 2nd grade daughter if any of the other kids tried to pick on her, and she said 'this doesn't happen here-we're a Catholic school' Many of the moms in the class socialize together and are very involved at school (my wife does much more than the mandatory 40 hours)...daughter loves tha art/music programs also...

Posted July 28, 2008

exelent shool always clean !!

Posted March 6, 2008

Great school! The teachers really care about the kids and the kids really care about each other. Pleasant and nuturing learning environment.

Posted March 25, 2007

Excellent school! The school teaches the students accountibility for their own academic performance. The spiritual atmosphere is truly uplifting. Visiting the classroom is an indication of that. The students are engaged in learning at all levels. The music and art programs are wonderful. There is much emphasis on personal acedemic performance and the requirements are high. Students test scores are high. The principal is extremely involved and committed to each student's learning development. Parental involvement is high and the school feels like a community. Sports programs are available at the middle school level. School grades include JK-8.

Posted May 22, 2006

The school provides good quality and leveled academic programs for all children. All children participate in art,and music. There is a high level of parent involvement because it is required.

Ethnicity This school

Affiliation
  • Roman catholic
Associations
  • NCEA

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious

Partnerships with local resources and organizations
  • Diocese of Orange

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

23652 Antonio Parkway