Serra Catholic School 2

Posted July 03, 2014
Coming from a student that attending here for 1 1/2 years, I do not reccomend this school. I come out of the blue into the middle of the year. It was not very challenging because the teachers didn't really care about me because I just came and the year was close to ending. Then 5th grade came and I was excited but HIGHLY disappointed when the kids surprised me and suddenly became mean, selfish, rude, immature, and very into cliques. The teachers were boring, rude, and not teaching well at all. One teacher insulted me on multiple occasions infron of the class. I was miserable and finally moved to the Bay Area but now I have moved back and I have decided not to attend this school for my two remaining years of middle school. The president of this school worries too much about raiding money and dresses very inappropriately. Also, I am prodistant (VERY close in many ways to Catholicism) and attended for the education. Every time the subject of Prodestants came up everybody would look at me in a bad way. Honestly, if you are going to start your kid from Pre Kindergarten and keep them through 8th then do it but don't have your kid come in in the middle of the year. They will be very sad.

Posted March 26, 2014
We are very pleased with Serra Catholic School. It has provided our child with the proper experience balance of spiritual, academic, technology, social awareness, and athletic education. We fully support the school's philosophy of education through a Catholic perspective, especiailly in light of the Common Core curriculum concerns that I have. I appreciate the sense of accountability that parents, administrators, teachers & faculty, and the students all hold for one another. The sense of family commitment is reminiscient of the traditions found at Notre Dame University, and our alma mater, the University of Southern California.

Posted March 14, 2014
My daughters have been at Serra for the last 4 years and we could not be happier - You will not find a better atmosphere for your children for both character and curriculum.

Serra Catholic School 2

Posted February 18, 2014
My kids are at Serra at the moment, but we won't be returning next year. I have been at the school for 4 years, and I have to say this isn't the kind of environment I want for them. The school cares about money, everything revolves around money. Sure they are "Catholic", but I don't think Catholic education is their strongest value, it isn't perceived in all that they do. The school puts more importance on people who donate money, they will let you be a room parent time and time again if you give money, or be part of the PTO if you give money, but those who don't give, don't stand a chance. The same people are room parents every year, nobody else stands a chance. You have to be on the principals good side in order to be heard. It really is quite sad, we put our children there although it is a financial struggle to us...but our voice isn't heard because we don't give extra money. Although we pay $1600 a month for our kids to go there. I know my kids love the school, but they don't see the problems I see with the administration. Serra is too corporate for us. I have to say though, I have met some wonderful people there and I will miss them tons.

Posted February 06, 2014
I first experienced Serra Catholic School as a parent in 1997, and I became a staff member in 1999. (I acknowledge that I am biased as a result of my personal and professional experience!) As a Catholic school, Serra strives to teach students to model the Catholic faith and to live in accordance with the spiritual, moral, and ethical principles exemplified by Christ. Although this was our primary reason for sending our children to Serra, it wasn't the only reason. It was also important that our children would receive an excellent education that would prepare them for high school and beyond. Serra met and exceeded our expectations in both regards! The school does an excellent job of educating students with a variety of cognitive, academic, emotional, behavioral, and physical strengths and needs by providing a variety of programs and experiences that develop the unique potential of each child. Serra offers a diversified education program, advanced plus and accommodated classes in Language Arts and Math, a thriving athletic program, and many co-curricular and extra-curricular opportunities for students. It is an ideal environment for students to learn and grow!

Posted August 06, 2013
We have two kids at Serra, and we think the school is awesome... I would highly recommend this school based on excellent education, teachers & catholic faith.

Posted January 27, 2013
So far we have been treated wonderfully. The first day we walked into the open house, the admissions director knew my children's names, the first day! I hope the academics are as good as they say but so far everyone has been very welcoming, polite and realistic. I know how expensive education is in this country and with facilities like these you can't expect prices like the schools in old, run down buildings with old equipment and carpet that smells humid. Not here, it's all new, clean and great!

Serra Catholic School 1

Posted October 28, 2012
Very dissapointed in the school. All they care about is raising money and the president doesn't care who you are unless you have a lot of money. She dresses totally inappropriately. The principals are so out of touch and act high and mighty often telling parents how to parent their children. They are way too focused on testing and push the kids before they are developmentally ready for some things. They do not practice what they preach and my children have learned that money can buy you into the "good teacher's" class and that kids whose parents are rich can get away with being bullies. This will be our last year at this school.

Posted August 03, 2012
I am new to the school having just enrolled my child. Here is my experience: (1) I have already been invited to a "Serra" BBQ to meet other families; (2) I have been matched with another family for "play-dates" in advance of my child's first day at school - so he knows someone starting on "day one;" (3) I already have an appointment to meet with the staff and teacher, as well as an alumni parent to assist with orientation. I am simply impressed with this level of outreach. Maybe I am easily impressed, but as someone new to non-public education, I am very happy with what I am seeing so far. As for the "wait" when dropping off kids in the morning - yes, I have heard this from lots of people. But after seeing the crowded "Noah's Ark" of a public school in my neighborhood with rows of kids and desks even in the hallways if you can believe it (Irvine - I was in shock) I see no option if I expect the best possible opportunities for my child to thrive.

Serra Catholic School 1

Posted June 23, 2012
Serra Catholic School has changed so much, be prepared to wait on line forever to drop your kids! Serra Catholic became a very big coorporate school. It is not a place where you learn Catholic values, since the new middle school building arrived the financial part became more important than the Catholic faith.After 5 years at the school, the assistant principal still didn't know who we were. A Catholic school that lost its way.

Serra Catholic School