Bad
Good

You want a private setting, excellent teachers,and a top-notch administration? I thought I would get this in the Private Sector! Alarming to find out the teachers were under-qualified, the administration thought only about my dollars, and my child was unsupported, when only 12 children in the class. Leaving was hard, but arriving and being at Tijeras Creek has left all those memories and misinformation behind. Here my child has been educated, taught to be a fine scholar, and many of the aspects of what "great character" is really about! There is no "bad" teacher here, there are no "bad" moments here, and we are all a family, pitching in where needed. To the Principal's credit, she has amazing grace. She's everywhere, doing everything , and she's a pleasure to assist. Simply put, I'm one satisfied parent! Mrs C. Diemer

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

Best teachers I've met, And I'm a 61 year old parent of a 10 year old.

Amount of homework: Agree

As a parent of a child with mild disabilities, I can see that he can handle all that is given to him. He is taught to take responsibility for his own work, and I have learned to step back, let him earn/or not earn, his grades.

Develops character: Strongly agree

It starts at the top, doesn't it? From Mrs Buckingham, who works so hard addressing honesty, integrity and fairness for all, to the administration, who are dedicated to the teachers, the parents and the community at large, we are all part of a team. We want our children to understand scholarly attributes, and this school teaches them daily. Everything is addressed WHEN it happens, every child gets positive attention, regardless of their challenging behaviors. This team of teachers are a credit to their profession, no, the idea of great teachers has not died at Tijeras Creek, they exude it!

The education at this school seems to be adequate, plus some. But the whole school is geared around raising money for something, everything! More teacher aides, science guy, who by the way is not even credentialed nor does he have a degree, etc. Auctions show the kids that the parent that has the most money to write a check wins....whatever the prize (lunch with a teacher, surf lessons with the principal, special parking spaces or front row seats for school programs) in other words, the kids do not have to earn anything to get these perks.....it all is on the mom's checkbook. I am a grandparent and I feel this attitude of the principal and PTA is teaching the children a upside view of life....And in ;the meantime, no money is spent on adding to the security of the school which has no lockable gates and no complete fencing surrounding the school for safety. I disagree with the whole philosophy of the principal. The PTA does whatever the principal wants and buys whatever she wants, There needs to be more separation of the two.

Tijeras Creek Elementary is a wonderful school with a vibrant, intelligent principal and outstandingly smart, hard working teachers and staff. I have three amazing kids, one in kindergarten, one in first grade and another in second grade. My children enjoy going to school daily not only to see their friends but also because the principal, teachers and staff always treat them with care and respect. As a mother of a Type 1 diabetic child it is very hard to leave them in the care of others because Type 1 diabetes is a full time job. At Tijeras Creek my child is well taken care of and is known by each and every staff member at the school. Every staff member has been well trained about what to do in case of any emergency that may arise with my child. We have the most amazing nurse who takes outstanding care of not only my child but every child at this school. Knowing that the principal and the nurse have made every effort to ensure the safety of my child no matter what the circumstance has relieved many of my concerns and lets my child feel like just another scholar at Tijeras Creek. I highly recommend this school!

We moved to Tijeras Creek in 2010 with a kinder, 2nd and 3rd grader. We were all nervous to start a new school, but were quickly put at ease as each child was welcomed as scholars. The pride of being a TC scholar is evident not only in the children but also in the teaching staff and admin. Every adult at TC works hard for the kids' education. TC has a strong PTA that is committed to enriching the children's educational experiences. Team Tijeras is really taken to the heart as the admin, the teachers and staff and the parents all work together to provide a quality educational environment for the kids. We are very blessed to be a part of Tijeras Creek!

I've been at this school with multiple children from 2007 through the present (and will be here until 2016), during which time the district budget has been cut to the bone - (class sizes went from 20:1 to 32:1). Despite these challenges, the principal, teachers, staff, and PTA have all been amazing! They have not only made it work, but actually made it better! The PTA is fortunate enough to have very active members who are able to fundraise to supply the school with programs and equipment that might have been lost due to statewide cuts. The teachers have always gone above and beyond the state curriculum. The atmosphere is warm and welcoming. My kids have had nearly every teacher at this school for some portion of their education and I have found all of them to be genuinely interested, enthusiastic, and highly qualified. They do an excellent job differentiating the curriculum to meet the needs of each child. My oldest child was well-prepared to succeed in accelerated classes in middle school, and my youngest was given the extra help he needed in the early grades to overcome his challenges. After starting out in an expensive private school, I'm so glad we made the switch!

TCES is a phenomenal school. Motivated, dedicated teachers; an involved and hard-working principal who strives to keep parents informed; and a curricula that keeps kids challenged. Students are called "scholars" here for a reason -- they are all treated as if they can change the world! My daughters were extremely happy here, made good friends, and were well-prepared for middle school.

Horrible school. Rude principal. Lost my daughter on the 2nd day of school. Luckily she was in the class where the teacher left her. The 3rd day of class she hit her head, became ill from the head injury and didn't notify me. Also, they blatantly ignored all my daughter's simple medical needs to avoid and allergic reaction to bandaging her head injury which sent her to the hospital. I had 3 meeting with the whole staff over her bandage allergy. One was the day before the incident. Needless to say but that day when I picked her up from school I took her school records with me. We will NEVER do a public school again! Former Public School Teacher for CUSD

Last modified Tijeras Creek Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.