Cielo Vista Elementary School

Public | K-6

Living in Rancho Santa...

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $343,800. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $2,070.

Posted June 18, 2014

Cielo VIsta is a gem. I have two daughters that have attended here for two years. Absolutely love this school. The teachers have been excellent. They have really gotten to know my kids and all their abilities and have given them great opportunities in learning and excelling. The office staff are kind and go out of their way to help. I've been part of the PTA for two years, on the PTA Board for one year and participated on Site Council for one year, and room mom for two years. All of my experience at this school has always shown me how dedicated, caring, involved and positive people are at this school. It is a supportive environment. The teachers are able to address the special need students on both ends of the spectrum... with excellence. The projects that my daughters have had the opportunity to work on have allowed such creativity and fun while learning. Both have been awarded many times for her high achievement and character traits. And I have neighbors who have kids that need extra help and they have wonderful resources and attention here. It is the type of school environment that you will be so thankful for. The kids are great here too. My kids have found true friends.

Posted April 18, 2014

Living in RSM, several parents had told me that I should enroll my daughter in another elementary school, due to this schools low performance in test scores & Title 1 status. After 8 months in Cielo Vista's Kindergarten class, I have only seen positive influence from the Principle, teachers & staff. They have an amazing computer lab, a dedicated librarian and they even supply Smartboards in the classrooms! My daughter enjoys the school tremendously! It is true, there is a lower socio-economic balance (Which was the main worry of most parents here), but the point of the school is for the students to receive a great education & I believe diversity should always be encouraged. Currently, some students do not have parents or relatives available to help them keep up with their school work & some do not speak English. These Kindergarten children come in learning their letters & numbers for the 1st time, but the teachers perform an excellent job of managing the class. The children who are proficient in reading, writing & mathematics are encouraged to do more & are not held back. It is Parental/Guardian participation in their child's continued education that is the issue, not the schools.

Posted May 2, 2013

My daughter transitioned from Tutortime Kinder to Cielo Vista last year, and is about to go into 2nd grade in a few months. My 5 yr old will also be starting Kinder here. I cant say that I have any complaints about this school. My daughter is a total drama queen, and has her moments of needing to be disciplined, but the staff is great with this. I've been kept up to date on everything going on, and always get progress reports when requested. My daughter isn't an angel, FAR FROM IT! But I can honestly say she is getting a great education from this school. I look forward to having my son here in the next few months. I would highly recommend this school! As far as the office staff...everyone has their days! But I have yet to see the principal act rude, or give me any type of attitude. I can't say so much about the office staff, because they do make unnecessary comments. If there was a rating for the office staff it would be a negative star. I have caught a few of the ladies making rude comments in Spanish thinking that nobody understands them. With that said, I like this school, the teachers, and the principal!

Posted January 10, 2013

Cielo Vista is an amazing school! The principal, teacher and office staff are very supportive and accommodating to all students, parents and visitors. it is interesting that the only 1 star I read isn't a parent that attends the school. If she were a parent who has a child at the school, she would know how much positive energy is in the school. My children have been attending CV for the past 3 years and the education is phenomenal. CV has a full time computer lab with 2 outstanding full time teachers who don't just sit there, but instruct K - 6 on computer skills. There are many different programs that struggling to GATE students obtain. My children are getting a better education at CV than a private school. I have not seen one rude or "bad" teacher or office staff especially the office manager at CV. Yes, the class sizes are not like they use to be with budget cuts, however, the teachers have not let this affect the quality of the education that my children receive. Thank you Dr. Peterson for your quality leadership and to all the teachers and staff at Cielo Vista!!!

Posted October 11, 2012

the offece manager at this school is very rude i went in to pick up my girlfriends son granted i was 5 minutes late and this was my first time picking him up she jumped right on me giving me a lecture like i was one of the students there i tried explaining myself and she just walked into her office telling me she doesnt care i think in my personal oppinion i wouldn't want my child going to this school with this lady with her attitude

Posted October 1, 2012

We are new to this school and school district, coming from Capo. After reading the reviews on how great this school was, we decided to move to this area. I have to say, after the back to school night, being herded into the auditorium for the 6th grade back to school, we didn't even get a chance to meet the teacher one on one to introduce ourselves. Then went on to meet our daughters 4th grade teacher, she went on to say how long she had been teaching and about her credentials and how well she prepared her students from 3rd grade to now 4th grade then went on to say how unprepared many students where that where coming from other schools. I found that to be extremely arrogant on her part. My daughter was an accelrated reader in her 3rd grade class and above average in her studies, both our children are. Her class room lacked any kind of character to encourage students to want to learn, the class room sizes are out of control, over 30 students per class? I'm not impressed with the teachers and the lack of "one on one" between teachers and students. It seems as though the students are just lost in the shuffle.

Posted August 24, 2012

My kids have been at Cielo Vista for two years now and we are extremely happy. They do an amazing job of meeting the needs of all of the students. I have one GATE child and one that needs a little more help, and the teachers at CV have adapted for both of them beautifully. We love Cielo Vista.

Posted January 10, 2012

Great school with amazing teachers and the best principal out there. They really care about helping kids learn and use creative approaches for all levels of learning. Does have an active GATE cluster group. Student Council and PAL for kids to be apart of. C.V. has smartboards in all classrooms, and new computers in the computer lab with excellent teachers in the computer lab who are a source of knowledge on educational, fun websites for kids. PTA supports Meet the Masters art program and funds for the librarians. Accelerated Reader program and Study Island are great programs the school uses. Upper grades do an amazing job preparing the kids for jr. high (check w/ RSM intermediate school to see their take on the different elementary schools and how their kids come prepared for jr. high). The Principal is very friendly and cares for the students. Don't write off C.V. because of it being a Title 1 school. Look into how the extra fund are being used to impact all students attending C.V. Again Great school!

Posted January 10, 2012

Cielo Vista is an excellent elementary school. All three of my children attended this school and were more than prepared for junior high. The staff is top notch, the children are dedicated and our current principal, Dr. Peterson is very hands-on and making positive improvements to Cielo Vista every day! I encourage you to check out this school and even make an appointment to speak with Dr. Peterson about your child's future at Cielo Vista. You will be impressed!

Posted January 10, 2012

So many great programs for kids. PAL, Student Council, PTA, and amazing staff and principal. Currently using SMART Boards in conjunction with iPads & iTouches.

Posted January 10, 2012

Fantastic teachers, an amazing Principal, a state of the art computer lab with a teacher that is so dedicated and great. Tons of diversity and dedicated parents.

Posted February 11, 2009

We are new to the city of Rancho Santa Margarita since summer of 08'. I found the ladies in the front office more than helpful with registering my three children, 6th,1st and a kindergartener for school. All 3 of my childrens teachers are excellent! They are friendly, knowledgeable, and great with their classes. Anytime I need to speak with any of them they are always available. On a daily basis you see and greet the principal and vice principal, and they have lots of staff on hand for the children before and after school, and during recess & lunch times. My children love this school, and I couldn't have moved into a better area with a great school!!!

Posted August 2, 2006

From the principal, to the teachers, to the PTA, Student Council, and the Talent Show, Cielo Vista offers it all. The quality of education is superior, and challenges our children in every way.

Posted May 6, 2005

Cielo Vista School has been a California Distinguished School twice in the last ten years. It is a large school with a diverse population. The parents are heavily involved and contribute a lot of time and effort to make this school an excellent school. Teachers are well respected by students and the community due to their willingness to go that extra mile with each and every student. There are many programs available at Cielo Vista that encompass all subject areas. There is an after school enrichment program taught by teachers and parents, some of the classes include gardening, sports camp, cooking, spanish and scrapbooking. Cielo Vista's goal is to promote excellence for students.
—Submitted by an administrator

Posted September 21, 2004

My two daughters have been at Cielo Vista for three years and have had an exceptional experience thus far. The prinicpal and staff are always assessible and my daughter's teachers have been suited perfectly for their needs. Each of their classes are geared for their particulare level of learning so the diversity of the student population does not affect their learning potential. We attended a private school prior to Cielo Vista and it was very difficult (if not impossible) to modify the curriculm for the special (advanced) needs of my children. CV also continues to offer a fine music and art program dispite all the cutbacks. I am very pleased with this school.

Posted September 17, 2003

It's too early for me to tell how the school is regarding their curriculum or their style of teaching, but I do know that the people at the front office need to learn how to be more pleasant. They are the first impression of the school and they left a bad taste in my mouth. They are rude and abrupt.

Posted August 28, 2003

Our daughter has excelled tremendously at Cielo Vista. The school challenges her to strive to do her best, both in her studies and in a social atmosphere. Discipline and respect are seen in the students who attend here.

Posted August 22, 2003

My son has been in Cielo Vista for two years now and is just about to start 5th grade. His teachers have been amazing. Lots of communication. I have never been the parent that volunteered before. I love doing it now. The quality of a school is often based on the quality of the teachers. These are the best!

Posted June 26, 2003

My wife and I are very happy with Cielo Vista school. We had our 3 children attending grades 1,3,6 in 2002-03, and were very pleased with the high level of teaching and support they recieved in each of thier classes. We moved to RSM from another school district in OC and Cielo Vista ES gets excellent rating from both of us.

Posted June 19, 2003

My kids attend here one is special needs and has gone two others schools (hated getting up in the morning)... the younger started K and is just finishing 1st. Since transferrng to Cielo Vista I can say they love school, they love the teachers, the admin staff and even the crossing guards! I feel they are doing a wonderful job with our students.

This school's

(2012)

7 / 10

6 / 10

API Growth scores over time

Did this school meet the API goal this year?
  • This school met the state goal of 800.

API Growth scores by subgroup

Did this school meet all the API goals for student subgroups this year?
  • This school did not meet all student subgroup API targets for 2013

Change from 2012 to 2013
API Statewide Rank
(2012)

7 / 10

API Statewide Rank (2012)

6 / 10

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 56% in 2013.

118 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

117 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 46% in 2013.

127 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 66% in 2013.

128 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 65% in 2013.

111 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 72% in 2013.

110 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 60% in 2013.

105 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

106 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 57% in 2013.

105 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 60% in 2013.

88 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 55% in 2013.

87 students were tested at this school in 2013.

All Students59%

• Terry Petersen
Fax number
  • (949) 589-8671

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Targeted Assistance program (TAS)

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

21811 Avenida De Los Fundadores