Bad
Good

Amount of homework: Disagree

The homework in Kindergarten is insane. My child already hates homework. They only go to school for three hours and homework is at least an hour a night.

Develops character: Disagree

No food for the Kindergarten Students if they forget their lunch but for upper grades they have an option

My first year at Melinda has been a hard one. Her very first day of Kindergarten we were not allowed in the classroom. There was a sign outside to say goodbye. My child who has never me her teacher I had to do this with. I left in tears. The first three weeks my daughter had it hard. Nobody would help her with her food or drink. I finally asked her why she was bringing most of her lunch home and she told me. She could not figure how to open things. The worse part has been the start time at Melinda. 10:10 because you are second class when your a late bird. My child has to go to lunch at 10:10 the minute she walks in. The teachers need a break from the early birds. So my child has to go straight to snack and no other food till she gets out. How many of you like lunch after 1:30? It's normally 2 by the time we get her home. If there is an event its always late birds must switch times to early birds period. Don't forget their snack because they will get nothing or have to borrow from other students. I tried to start an emergency snack program but was shut down. You have no time to forget a lunch due to the 10:10 start is the same time as the break. I have went to the School District asking to change start time as the same time as Foothill Ranch but they said its to complicated. I would tell any parent wait to send them to Melinda for 1st Grade not Kindergarten. I wish I would have done private one more year. I am hoping for a better next year.

I have sent three of my children to Melinda Heights Elementary. Our family has found the teachers to to be extraordinarily committed, highly educated, and caring. My children have been well prepared for middle and high school. The school offers many new and advanced learning opportunities. I am proud to be able to send my children here. They feel safe and cared for at Melinda Heights.

Melinda Heights is a great school, this is my children's 3rd year at Melinda and they LOVE it, so do I. It is challenging and teachers are very involved. We have had a situation with a 1st grade teacher this year and it has GREATLY improved by just having a one on one conference with her. I will say the new principal is AWFUL she is not parent friendly or approachable. The PTA, parents and teachers are awesome.

Melinda Heights is a Fantastic School. We have to children one in second and one in Fifth and they couldn't be happier. Teachers are Very open and really Love their jobs. I also agree our Prinicpal now is not friendly at all she is just down right rude. She is always lurking around and not letting our kids be kids. I really hope she's gone soon and not to soon enough. Now, we have a Awesome Vice Principal she is so happy and joyful and just Loves the children and always makes everyone feel so comfortable.

We just moved here from out of state. We started at MH at the beginning of the school year. We have been going here for just a couple weeks, but the kids already have tons of friends and the parents are very friendly. I think both of my kids have wonderful teachers that really like what they are doing. It seems like parents are really involved and everyone is helpful and have a positive teaching environment.

Been going to this school for 7 years. We have had only wonderful experiences and teachers until this year. So glad the current principal is leaving, perhaps now the school can get back on track. The PTA is top-notch and we love the parents, kids and this neighboorhood.

I give this school two stars only because of the academics. It's really not that strong. I know people think it is, but having kids that have come from different schools, it isn't that strong. I have one GATE, and the others have been in just regular classes. Some of the teachers rush through the material, not really teaching very well and it seems that they don't care that they aren't teaching that well either. Many teachers have poor communication. Very few use websites; most don't do monthly newsletters, etc. There are a few absolutely amazing ones! If your child gets one of those you will definetly notice the difference. But most are just okay. They don't really challenge the kids. All of the principals and vp's we've had have been pretty good. One a good note, they have an AMAZING PTA. They are incredibly active, communicate very effectively and run some amazing programs and events. All of my kids have liked this school, in general, there are really good kids with really good families.

I have to completely disagree with the other parent who said the kids are mean as they get older. We have two children at MH - one in 3rd and one in 6th. Both are in GATE and both have friends in and out of the GATE classroom - no one makes fun of them or teases/bullies/etc. Yes, there are kids who could be more socially graceful, but they are children, so it happens. As for the school, it is large, but the teachers somehow still manage to listen to parent concerns and teach each child. The PTA is very involved and has made it possible to keep library and art in the school. My oldest is in advanced strings and there is an after school Math Olympiads program for advanced mathematics as well! The teachers are extremely responsive and the principal is very involved. The assistant principal really cares about the kids and tries to get to know each one - he is fantastic! We moved to CA from the east coast a couple years ago and while the schools in general out here do not compare in terms of academic rigor and "extras" like true art and music classes, etc., Melinda Heights is the best we have seen for a public school in the area. They go above and beyond peer schools and it shows!

Last modified Melinda Heights Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.