Rancho Santa Margarita, CA

Posted December 05, 2013
Melinda Heights is a great school, this is my children's 3rd year at Melinda and they LOVE it, so do I. It is challenging and teachers are very involved. We have had a situation with a 1st grade teacher this year and it has GREATLY improved by just having a one on one conference with her. I will say the new principal is AWFUL she is not parent friendly or approachable. The PTA, parents and teachers are awesome.

Posted December 05, 2013
Melinda Heights is a Fantastic School. We have to children one in second and one in Fifth and they couldn't be happier. Teachers are Very open and really Love their jobs. I also agree our Prinicpal now is not friendly at all she is just down right rude. She is always lurking around and not letting our kids be kids. I really hope she's gone soon and not to soon enough. Now, we have a Awesome Vice Principal she is so happy and joyful and just Loves the children and always makes everyone feel so comfortable.

Posted September 26, 2013
We just moved here from out of state. We started at MH at the beginning of the school year. We have been going here for just a couple weeks, but the kids already have tons of friends and the parents are very friendly. I think both of my kids have wonderful teachers that really like what they are doing. It seems like parents are really involved and everyone is helpful and have a positive teaching environment.

Melinda Heights Elementary School 3

Posted June 04, 2012
Been going to this school for 7 years. We have had only wonderful experiences and teachers until this year. So glad the current principal is leaving, perhaps now the school can get back on track. The PTA is top-notch and we love the parents, kids and this neighboorhood.

Melinda Heights Elementary School 2

Posted February 02, 2012
I give this school two stars only because of the academics. It's really not that strong. I know people think it is, but having kids that have come from different schools, it isn't that strong. I have one GATE, and the others have been in just regular classes. Some of the teachers rush through the material, not really teaching very well and it seems that they don't care that they aren't teaching that well either. Many teachers have poor communication. Very few use websites; most don't do monthly newsletters, etc. There are a few absolutely amazing ones! If your child gets one of those you will definetly notice the difference. But most are just okay. They don't really challenge the kids. All of the principals and vp's we've had have been pretty good. One a good note, they have an AMAZING PTA. They are incredibly active, communicate very effectively and run some amazing programs and events. All of my kids have liked this school, in general, there are really good kids with really good families.

Posted November 03, 2011
I have to completely disagree with the other parent who said the kids are mean as they get older. We have two children at MH - one in 3rd and one in 6th. Both are in GATE and both have friends in and out of the GATE classroom - no one makes fun of them or teases/bullies/etc. Yes, there are kids who could be more socially graceful, but they are children, so it happens. As for the school, it is large, but the teachers somehow still manage to listen to parent concerns and teach each child. The PTA is very involved and has made it possible to keep library and art in the school. My oldest is in advanced strings and there is an after school Math Olympiads program for advanced mathematics as well! The teachers are extremely responsive and the principal is very involved. The assistant principal really cares about the kids and tries to get to know each one - he is fantastic! We moved to CA from the east coast a couple years ago and while the schools in general out here do not compare in terms of academic rigor and "extras" like true art and music classes, etc., Melinda Heights is the best we have seen for a public school in the area. They go above and beyond peer schools and it shows!

Posted September 20, 2011
We have two children at Melinda Heights. Both of our kids love going to school at MH. Our son is in 6th grade and has never had a teacher he didn't like. This school does have a large population, so parent involvement is important and well worth the investment. Just look at the state test scores to see that the children at MH are being taught extremely well. MH continues to have a music program when most schools don't . If we want the best education for our kids, we need to be willing to do whatever we can to make that happen too. I would definitely recommend this school.

Posted June 14, 2011
Great staff and great school. The new principal is also very friendly. The donation amounts are not ridiculous, as one review mentioned, and they are not required. With all of the budget cutbacks I am happy to donate to such a loving staff that have helped guide and develop my children. In regards to the reviewer talking about the mean kids, yes, kids can be cruel. However, it is not specific to RSM, nor is it any worse here than in any other city. I highly recommend Melinda Heights, it is one of the best elementary schools in Orange County.

Posted June 07, 2011
Beautiful school, ok teachers and pleasant staff. I always felt safe leaving my kids everyday. I was never impressed in the amount of $$ we always had to donate for teacher gifts and field trips. At one point, we were asked to help raise $800 for a camera the class mom thought the teacher wanted. Every year it was the same thing with extraveggent gifts. It got really old. Fields trips were extrememly expensive also, $30+ per student. Lunch provided was excellent, kids got mean and made fun of other kids as they got older but i guess its what to expect in RSM

Posted October 24, 2010
Melinda Heights School is an excellent school. While it has a large student population, through the generous support of the parents the school is able to offer a great variety of learning opportunites. As a parent of an SDC student, I am proud to say that our special needs students have inlclusion in all that is offered at Melinda Heights.

Melinda Heights Elementary School
21001 Rancho Trabuco, Rancho Santa Margarita, CA  92688
Last modified Melinda Heights Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Melinda Heights Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 29 reviews. Top