No rating

St. John's Episcopal School

Private | PK-8 | 450 students

St. John's is known for it's close personal attention to each student.

Living in Rancho Santa...

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $343,800. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $2,070.

Posted September 13, 2014

We have been in St. John's for 9 years and in the first 5 yours it was really good. There was a sense of family, we believed we had real friend and everyone was included in park days, moms night out and so on. The children loved going to school because their friends were there. Now, or let's say, in the past 4 years or so it has been sad to see what the schools turned out to be. Some of the teachers are nice, but some are just bullies. They find problems where there's no problem. Just the fact that the kid is a BOY is a huge deal. Let's medicate. This is the philosophy that had been at St. John's for many years. The worse is that the school now is simply attracting small minded people with little or no value in life apart from their expensive lifestyle. It's so sad to see the school go that direction, but if no one wake up and start getting normal people in, I don't give that school more than 5 years before is shuts it's doors. I love the ladies at the administration at St. John's. The front dear is great and most of the office workers too. But they need a principal who's more of a peoples person and a less greedy board wanting to only get millionaires into the school.

Posted May 2, 2014

I currently have three children enrolled at St. John's in both the Early Childhood Center and Elementary School Levels. We have been at this school for 6 years and couldn't be happier. My children love St. John's and all of the teachers and staff there. It is our second home and family. As a working mother, I could not have asked for a more warm and nurturing environment for my children when they were babies and the continued caring they have received as they have grown older. The curriculum is excellent and enriched with exciting and fun lessons. My oldest daughter is so enthusiastic every day about what she learned that day. And the character driven spirit of the school is my favorite part. St. John's is helping me to raise good, moral, and kind children.

Posted April 4, 2014

Similar to the reviewer below, I have had a poor experience at St John's too. They are keen to point out problems but never present solutions. I feel the school needs to be better prepared for the children's needs. I would rate this school as a zero.

Posted March 25, 2014

I have had a really poor experience with St. John's. We've got 2 children there, pay a pretty good amount in tuition and donate pretty heavily too. Recently we were informed that one child is "developmentally delayed" and was asked not to return to the school while the other child is able to return. What? To further the confusion, in speaking with others about this problem, it seems to be a common theme at the school. It happens all the time. Upon SJES' "diagnosis" of my child, we had this "delayed" child professionally tested by a psychologist qualified in child development. Their results suggest that this child is in fact ahead in development on many levels. All results are given using a scaled instrument -- meaning low scores indicate low development and higher scores indicate greater development. My child's scored high on many levels or average on the rest. Nothing to indicate developmental delays. hmmmm. The school is highly unprepared to find solutions, but rather identify poorly assessed "problems." Further more, upon asking about teacher qualification, many are unqualified to teach, which shows in their inability to work with children.

Posted January 27, 2014

We have three children currently enrolled at Saint Johns Episcopal School. As a parent that has put an older sibling through the local public school system and now having the experience of Saint Johns it is such a huge difference. The small class size environment along with a teachers aide allows the students every opportunity to learn stress free and be challenged. We are aware of some previous reorganization in the staff and facility and have found the school under stronger and more focused leadership as a result. Parents are encouraged to visit and assist at the school as needed for group projects and other volunteer opportunities including having lunch with your student. You will get out of your school experience what you are willing to put into it. There is a very strong sense of community at this school. Yes their is a cost to put your children in a private school and that will be a personal decision for each family. We love this school and the opportunities that it offers to our family and would encourage anyone considering private schools in the area to consider Saint Johns Episcopal School.

Posted August 19, 2013

St. John's is one of the best decisions we have made for our family! We love the small class sizes, individual attention, warm & welcoming community & wonderful facilities! Transferring from our local public school the differences in the learning environments could not be more obvious. Our kids are constantly challenged, encouraged & thoroughly supported by their teachers, peers & the school's administration. I did not give St. John's five stars because there is still room for improvement in the areas of Foreign Language & Music. However, these programs surpass what they were getting in public school. We have been very happy at St. John's & highly recommend the school!

Posted August 8, 2013

I have 3children enrolled at SJES, one in elementary and two in the preschool. We have been SJES parents for 8 years and would not go anywhere else. The school has been wonderful in teaching our children the academics required to be successful, but also building their character. My oldest child has been diagnosed with 2 learning disabilities and the although mild, the school has been wonderful in making accommodations for her.

Posted August 7, 2013

Our family has been extremely happy at St John's Episcopal School. We transferred our girls from public two years ago and couldn't be happier. Both girls have different learning styles and all the teachers, staff and administration go out of their way to make sure my girls are receiving THE BEST education possible. The small class size was the main reason we switched schools and after two days of being at the school we wished we had came to St John's sooner.

Posted August 6, 2013

We have 3 boys who attend St. John's Episcopal School. Two in Elementary School and 1 in Middle School. SJES is truly one in a million. In an age when raising young people to be not only intelligent but also thoughtful, inquisitive, kind and honorable can be challenging, SJES makes it easy. We feel very fortunate to have our boys in this school.

Posted June 18, 2013

What is going on over there?!?! Not only have they released teachers and staff in a mass firing since the beginning of the year, but the outrageous tuition has forced me to remove my child from this institution immediately! I want my child to be surrounded by a school who has distinct leadership and a thorough staff. The administration is a joke and I can't believe I paid for so long for these people to misdirect my child's education.

Posted March 19, 2013

St John's was highly recommended and looked very good "on paper". On the inside- for lower grades a very warm and positive environment that enables children to learn with good parent involvement. For the middle school- solid math program, above average English program. The teachers were ok, but do not go out of their way to help students. Most of the teachers have 1 office hour per week. The philosophy of the school is to assign a lot of work, however, this school has more days off than most middle schools. Considering the cost (greater than $15k/ year), a parent would be better off sending their child to another private school)

Posted January 30, 2013

We have three children, each of which has his/ her own unique learning style, and we are thrilled with the education they are receiving at St. John's. We particularly value the student-teacher ratio (up to 18 kids/ class with a teacher and an aide), the gifted and learning resource programs, the enrichment classes taught by subject-matter experts and the focus on education of the whole child. When you consider the attention paid to each individual student and the high level of academics they are mastering, we consider the school to be a value compared to other private schools. Many of the families receive financial aid, which reflects the school's commitment to offer this individualized education to as many children as possible. Most important, our kids love going to school and are excited to learn. There is no perfect school, but we are grateful every day for the care and attention that our kids are receiving at St. John's.

Posted October 31, 2012

St. John's is an excellent school. The teachers and staff are outstanding. The class sizes are small and the students receive individualized instruction. Our family has been a part of this school community for many years. The teachers really care about each and every student. The school offers many enrichment classes on a regular basis starting in Kindergarten taught by single subject teachers...ex PE, Art, Spanish, Science, Computers/TEchnology, Music. The school is academically rigorous but a warm and caring learning community. My kids love going to school every day!

Posted September 2, 2012

My family attended St. John's Episcopal School for 5 years. I had every intention to keep my children there there 8 th grade. The education is very good, and the teachers were wonderful. However, the school has changed in mt opinion. To me it felt like a community, but now it feels like the administration and staff don't care about the families unless the families are very wealthy. The tuition was raised 17% over the last two years, with no concern for how that would effect families. It also the only participation that is appreciated is monetary. The administration wants a new middle school building, and it appears that is all that matters. If you are looking at sending your children to this school, just look deeply, ask about the attrition rate over the last 3 years and how the school feels about that.

Posted March 16, 2012

My children have been going to St John's for 5 years. I have nothing but excellent things to say about this school, it's staff, and the environment. Classrooms have about 15-20 kids at most in each class and teacher aides are present to assist teachers and students. You simply cannot get this kind of attention at a public school, or even another private school in the area. They have a heathly, catered lunch program that my kids love! So they are eating healthier, and liking it at the same time... And most importantly, they are leaps and bounds ahead of other children their same age that attend public elementary. All in all, 5 stars all around. If you want to get your child a head start in life, St John's is the right place.

Posted March 16, 2012

We have been at St. John's for 5 yrs and I am thrilled with our experience. Classes are small (14-15 in the kindergartens this year, 12 in the Toddler 2s class) and each teacher is assisted by an aide. We have had outstanding teachers every year -- nurturing, loving, attentive and detail-oriented. The enrichment classes can't be compared -- music, PE, science, art, Spanish, religion, computers and library are taught by experts, all run throughout the school year (not on a trimester rotation) and start in kindergarten or earlier. I love that it is only teachers and aides in classrooms - not parent volunteers. My children are thriving with a VERY differentiated curriculum (certainly not one-size-fits-all). Kids change classes for math starting in 1st grade so they can be at exactly the right level. One of my kids is reading far above grade level and so her curriculum has been individualized appropriately to keep her challenged. Standardized tests show that kids score well above grade level across the board. My kids love school, and I appreciate the strong sense of community with great families and staff. Its absolutely worth the money and I would make the same choice again.

Posted March 16, 2012

St. Johns provides small class sizes with a differenciated cooperative learning environment. The students are challenged in all areas. Each class has a maximum of 20 students with an aide for each class. My child has recieved the best education here, and I can't think of a more supportive school environment for students!

Posted March 16, 2012

St. John's offers and enriching while strong academic environment for all students. The Faculty and Staff at St. John's are the best I've seen anywhere around. They care about the individual needs of each student and encourage all kinds of learning styles. Students graduate from St. John's with strong character, academics, faith, and teamwork skills and are able to transfer into high school with ease.

Posted March 16, 2012

St. John's is an amazing school and community. I have been a part of the St. John's community for 9 years. My kids have received an excellent education. The class size is small and the teachers are excellent, most with Master's degrees. Teacher aides are in every class through 5th grade. St. John's finds a way to provide an education that not only teaches to the state standards, but grows children who are critical thinkers. Because giving is a way of life at St. John's, children learn early to think not just of themselves but of the broader community. The hot unch program is amazing.....all fresh food, never frozen, The teachers and staff truly care about the children. Because the class size is small, the teachers are very in tune with all the children and are able to make sure your child's educational needs are met.

Posted March 14, 2012

I like the school - my son is in Middle School and is challenged academically. He's made some lasting friendships with those in his grade and other grades. Sure, some teachers and some of the rules drive him crazy, but then as his mom, so do I!! I find the families genuine. Most just want a good environment both socially and academically for their child. I am happy, my son is thriving. I'd make the same decision again

Asian or Pacific Islander 3% 11%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
Computer specialist(s)
Music teacher(s)
PE instructor(s)
Nurse(s)
Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
Priest, pastor, or other religious personnel
Reading specialist(s)
Robotics/Technology specialist(s)
Speech and language therapist(s)
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Tutor(s)
Foreign languages spoken by school staff Chinese (Mandarin)
Spanish
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered
  • Differentiated learning programs
  • Speech and language therapist(s)

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Engineering

Arts & music

• Arts (all)
  • Art teacher(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
  • Art room

• Nurse(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Access to sports fields
  • Gym
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")

Gifted & talented

School start time
  • 8:00am
School end time
  • 2:45 pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school: starts at 7:00 a.m.
  • After school: ends at 6:00 p.m.
  • Dr. Michael Pratt
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
Age at which early childhood or Pre-K program begins
  • Infant
  • Coed
Boarding options
  • Day school
Is there an application process?
Affiliation

• Religious
  • Science
  • Service learning
  • Technology
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered

• Math specialist(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • Nurse(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
  • Priest, pastor, or other religious personnel
  • Reading specialist(s)
  • Gym
  • Internet access
  • Learning lab
  • Library
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Music room

• Drama
Media arts
  • Video / Film production

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Arts and crafts

School culture

Dress Code
  • Uniforms
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Coach sports teams or extracurricular activities
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Present special topics during curricular units
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Volunteer in the classroom