Cope Middle School

Public | 6-8

Living in Redlands

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $255,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,050.

Posted May 28, 2014

Problems at this school are varied. The most important problems are listed here in order 1) there is a complete lack of sex education (in the whole county) thus, many girls are sexually active with no protection, no guidance, and ALL the attendant problems leading to drop-outs and much worse. Google 'San Bernardino teen pregnancy rates'; the district is in denial, but the statistics don't lie. 2) there is also no school nurse and no feminine protection in the office or bathrooms. 3) there is no way for a student to fail a class, or get extra help or tutoring, short of being 'special education' which is a real shame because failing kids are just promoted, unprepared and lost 4) there are only two guidance counselors, and you can't choose yours, one has a really difficult time with not just guidance but forming coherent sentences. Lastly 5) this school has the strangest scheduling in the history of scheduling, I continue to hope there is a education theory behind changing class times daily, but, it just ends up meaning nobody knows who's coming or going, not the students, not the staff. All that aside, the school's rating is deserved if we grade the entire district on a curve.

Posted January 10, 2014

this school Is great!! they have a wonderful hands on approach If you are looking for a that could help your kid if they are having a hard time or learn different that's the school take it from me ,I am dyslexic and they sure did help me I am the highest in my grade and I was the top of my class woo go 1213 but anyway I suggest cope

Posted July 25, 2013

I would not recommend a child to go to Cope. I went to Cope for my first two years and then transferred to a school in Yorba Linda. My First two years were great, I was in the dance team, took all honors, and was in the top 5% of my class. When I got to Yorba Linda, I was behind despite all of my training at Cope. I learned that there were kids who were taking 8th and 9th grade level classes when they We're still in 7th grade. I was bewildered, for I had gotten a 600 on my math STAR Test, yet there were a great deal of kids who passed me during math class. I had gone from the top, to the middle. In addition, there are few racers who are very involved with you, it it seems as if all of the good teachers have retired or gone somewhere else. You can also constantly hear kids cussing , bullying, and throwing racist remarks to others, including their friends. On the Redlands school district, cope may sound like a good school, but the truth is that simply will not prepare you for the competition in college.

Posted October 2, 2012

Great school i was there in the early 90's who remember the security lady they call her robocop?

Posted January 28, 2011

I attended this school my 7th , 8th, and 9th grade years about 20 years ago. The teachers and administrators were truly amazing. My home life during those years was very chaotic. Everyone there helped me tremendously and were so supportive. My football coach, Mr. Zanhisor would often drive me home after practice, (I lived in Grand Terrace and he lived near Beaumont, about a 40 mi. trek?) Other teachers (Mr. Pena, Mrs. Hamilton, Mrs. Poindextor, and many others) also sacrificed for me in many ways. In addition, these teachers and coaches were outstanding at educating and motivating. The folks at this school made all the difference at a truly volatile time in my life. They not only taught me valuble lessons in academics, but as importantly, how to be a better person. Dave Foy (RHS. class of 1995)

Posted April 29, 2009

I love this school and especially the teachers because they always tease each other. It's so interesting here. Our spirit day are also so cool.

Posted January 4, 2008

This is my first year here at Cope and so far I like it. The teachers are great and take time to explain things I don't understand. My teachers, Mrs. McBride and Mrs. Hammond are nice teachers to everyone. My grandpa was one of the first students ever to attend Cope, when it opened up for the first time. , In the mid seventies, my dad went there too. Now I'm a proud third generation Cope Eagle!

Posted December 18, 2007

Cope Middle School is a great school. All the teachers are very nice and the whole campus looks great ever since we had those new trees and the waterfall by the library. There are also murals all over the school. Im a 7th grader and I was here for 6th grade too.

Posted November 10, 2007

My daughter just entered Cope M.S. as a 6th grader. My 16 yr. old son is a former student. I find the teachers and staff delightful. My son was a high-maintenance student and his teachers offered him quite a bit of support. My daughter is an academic dream for any teacher. She is constantly challenged. The rigor is excellent. Mrs. Pietrzak and Mrs. Zehm are terrific!! I am a middle school teacher myself, and there is no other school I would wish my children to attend. Not even my own. C. Howard

Posted August 9, 2007

I was a student at Cope Middle School two to three years ago, didn't finish my last year. Most important to me was the band, Filming & choir. My first thoughts into coming to this school was, 'Oh, I'm not going to make any new friends, they're all going to hate me.' But, it turned out the other way around. The atmosphere of this school is great, You'll feel right at home. Cope was like a second home to me since I wanted to stay after school with my friends everyday. A memory what always stays with me was when two of my closest friends stayed after school, on a picnic bench eating food, talking about boys and life. I love this school and I miss it badly, hopefully when I grow old, my sons and daughters will go to Cope. - Maria Lourdes Concepcion
—Submitted by a former student

Posted September 13, 2006

Well,I may be a student there but I think its a wonderful school.The only thing is organization.I highly recomend this school!It has a wonderful band(which I am apart of).Excellent teachers.Great dance team and choir.Not too much parent involvement but they do send out quater grades and volinteers.And next year when I'm in high school,I really will miss that school. ~Alexis Hickman

Posted March 12, 2006

This school has been a big disappointment. It is probably fine for most kids, but our son needs more hands on opportunities which have not been available. Its outstanding music program dramatically help kid enjoy music.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted January 11, 2006

This is an excellent school. I am honored to have my daughter attend Cope.

Posted November 30, 2005

An excellent Middle school with a dedicated faculty in a Southern California community with a small town feel

Posted October 19, 2004

I believe that Cope is an excellent school. The teaching staff are well educated and have a vested interest in my daughter who just so happens to be of mixed racial decent.

Posted June 16, 2004

Teachers and counselor for my son were great. He has had alot of problems, and even though the school system is not the best, the staff were wonderful. I fully expect my daughter who will be going there next year to get all out of the school that there is.

Posted September 11, 2003

I would just like to give a well deserved thank you and God Bless to the staff at Cope Middle School. They are right on the ball with any and all concerns that I have regarding my child, both academically and socially. For the first time in my child's life, he loves school and all of his teachers, and has made a few friends there as well. The school staff are extremely attentive to all our needs, concerns, etc., and they have taken out their own personal time to give extra help to students with a homework co-op program, which is much needed by many. The staff are 100% dedicated to making certain that the students succeed in every aspect of their lives.

Posted June 28, 2003

I love cope middle so does my doughter she went to school there and she misses everyone even her teachers and her pe teacher sawsonshe misses him a lot .

This school's

(2012)

7 / 10

6 / 10

API Growth scores over time

Did this school meet the API goal this year?
  • This school met the state goal of 800.

API Growth scores by subgroup

Did this school meet all the API goals for student subgroups this year?
  • This school did not meet all student subgroup API targets for 2013

Change from 2012 to 2013
API Statewide Rank
(2012)

7 / 10

API Statewide Rank (2012)

6 / 10

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 60% in 2013.

394 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 55% in 2013.

398 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 86% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 60% in 2013.

438 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 52% in 2013.

437 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 50% in 2013.

400 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 57% in 2013.

404 students were tested at this school in 2013.

2010

General Mathematics (Grades 6 & 7 Standards)

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 85% in 2013.

History - Social Science Grade 8 Cumulative

437 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 67% in 2013.

404 students were tested at this school in 2013.

All Students69%

Parent education - some college (includes AA degree)69%
Parent education - college graduate74%
Parent education - graduate school/post graduate84%
Parent education - declined to state74%

General Mathematics (Grades 6 & 7 Standards)

Geometry

• Dance

School culture

Dress Code
  • Dress code

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

1000 West Cypress Avenue