Redlands Senior High School

Public | 9-12

Living in Redlands

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $180,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,070.

Posted September 27, 2013

I am a Senior here and have been a student all 4 years and I simply love this school. I am very academically involved in AP courses, I do sports, and I'm president of clubs so I know that my positive experience has prepared me so much for the real college life. Coming here over REV was definitely the best choice of my life.

Posted November 14, 2011

I am a student here at Redlands High and this year we surpassed Redlands East Valley and Citrus Valley High School (the two other highschools in our district) in both titles won in sports, and academics. Our school has a long history of sport titles and last school year, we surpassed Redlands East Valley and Citrus Valley High School by obtaining the goal of 800 API rating.

Posted December 23, 2008

My son is a freshman here. I love this school. I like the fact that the principal refuses to put a fence around it and make it look like a prison. Kudos to the staff. They are awesome. They treat kids like adults not children. High fives to all of you.

Posted December 5, 2006

Overall, this is an excellent school. We moved into the Redlands area so that our girls could attend Redlands schools. Both our daughters were AP students that were admitted to top 20 (nationally ranked) universities. The school has excellent academic programs. The AP programs in Spanish, Physics, Chemistry, and History are especially noteworthy. The academically oriented extracurricular activities (Mock Trial, Academic Decathlon, Destination Imagination, Speech, etc.) are also highly regarded. Athletic programs overall are good to outstanding, with aquatic sports, golf and tennis being truly dominant. The teaching staff is also generally good to excellent, even in the lower grade levels. The current administration is exceptional. The school comes off as a bit snobbish, but if you keep your kids grounded at home they'll realize not everyone gets a new car for their 16th birthday (or even graduation). This school is hard to beat in the Inland Empire.

Posted March 6, 2006

Redlands high has been a great place for me to go to school. I am a straight a student in all honors classes and with my teachers and the general school environment, reaching those grades was not a hard task to accomplish. This year, I've had some truly helpful and supportive teachers. My chamber singer director mr. Tuttle and my ap european history teacher dr. St. George. Many teachers at rhs are just as supportive. There are many opportunities for involvement here and the more you're involved the more fun your experience will be.

Posted June 29, 2005

Redlands is a great school. I currently go there now. Coming from a private school, I was a little apprehensive about how things would be. Yes it is a big environment, but the on the academic side of it all, I feel like I have really learned the assigned material and have excelled as a thinker in just my first year.

Posted June 7, 2005

I wish that this school would start the 'school within a school' program back up to give students a more independent view on school. Other than that, the school is nice and I'm pretty sure my child likes going there.

Posted June 2, 2005

I am an alumni and I loved my time at RHS. The teachers are phenomenal, the curriculum is excellent (though the science department could use some updating) and the extracurriculars were great.
—Submitted by a former student

Posted May 17, 2005

I am a graduate of Redlands High School, and overall, I think it was a great school. I'm not sure now that faculty has changed over, but it definetly prepared me for college and the future. The A.P. teachers are excellent, as is the speech team and theatre department. Unfortunately, the once award-winning music department was destroyed when it's long time director, Roger Duffer left, but otherwise, I had a good experience at that school.
—Submitted by a former student

Posted April 16, 2005

I am a current student at Redlands High School. Before enrolling at RHS, I had attended a private school for 9 years. Academics at Redlands High School are very rigorous, espescially in the honors and AP programs, which I am involved in. There are plenty of extracurricular programs to be involved in. The sports program is good, and there are a ton of on campus clubs. RHS also has a really good Music and Drama Program. On the downside though, the student to teacher ratio is kind of crazy. In 4 of my six classes it's about 30-1. The teachers aren't able to give you all the attention you might need. The school also has alot of fight...but then again what high school doesn't? One of the biggest things that bothers me about RHS is the fact that it is very cliquey, and the cliques are so stereotypical and predictable.

Posted April 15, 2004

My daughter is a student currently attending RHS and instead of positive suggestions on how she can improve her grades, they just want to ship her off to a continuation school. This school is more worried about their above average stats then helping students in areas where help is needed.

Posted October 29, 2003

My 2 children graduated from RHS, one in 1997 and the other in 2000. We had an excellent experience, especially in art, vocal music and theatre arts. I must commend Ken Tuttle for his positive attitude and perserverance with the vocal music program. I am a teacher myself and can appreciate all of the extra time he pours into his program to make it the success it is. I was also extremely involved in the theatre arts program with Marie Glotzbach and must commend her work in bringing excellence back to RHAS theatre and making it what it is today. I urge all parents to be involved where and when they can. Your children may not tell you and you might think that your kids don't care or want you there, but believe me, they do! Thanks also to all of the other great teachers that my children were fortunate to receive their RHS education from!

Posted October 2, 2003

My son graduated RHS in 2000 and my oldest daughter is now a sophomore. My son is one of those who studies light and gets all A's & B's. He is in his 3rd year at Cal State in the top 10% of his class. My daughter however is a creative & sensitive person who really has to study to keep up. I have found that all the teachers have been receptive to working with me when I approach them. RHS is an awesome school for both of my kids and I look forward to having my youngest attend in the future. I agree that he dress code may not appear to be an important issue, but it is just one of the many things that plague us and must be dealt with as well, not ignored. Lets face it, all teachers are overworked, under paid and have to put up with a lot due to our lack of support in the legal system. Don t expect them to find you, FIND THEM... Help them to help you. Email is a great way to communicate with some, others prefer notes. Either way get involved and stay involved. Your child s number one teacher now & always should be YOU!!

Posted September 25, 2003

In response to the other post ....my child also has ADD and has had a lot of help in that area. They set up a meeting with all his teachers and my husband and I got a great communication system going. I think part of the problem is that parents don't ask and get involved. You have to have a dialogue with the school. Once they were award they worked with us closely and are helping my son achieve. My oldest daughter just graduated and had nothing but good experiences at Redlands. My son is now a sophomore and we are very happy with how we are kept informed and helped.

Posted September 3, 2003

My oldest daughter just graduated from RHS and, because she is self-motivated and needs no supervision, she did fine. However, if you have a child that needs some help, guidance, etc. - my second daughter has Attention Deficit Disorder - I would strongly advise you to take them elsewhere. If your child doesn't fit in RHS's round peg hole, they will be ignored, and probably fail. They are far more concerned with their dress code rather than helping children succeed.

Posted August 26, 2003

My children have been students at RHS for up to three years. I have found the more experienced teachers and staff to be very helpful and responsive.

This school's

(2012)

8 / 10

7 / 10

API Growth scores over time

Did this school meet the API goal this year?
  • This school met the state goal of 800.

API Growth scores by subgroup

Did this school meet all the API goals for student subgroups this year?
  • This school did not meet all student subgroup API targets for 2013

Change from 2012 to 2013
API Statewide Rank
(2012)

8 / 10

API Statewide Rank (2012)

7 / 10

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 25% in 2013.

214 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 65% in 2013.

Biology/Life Sciences

The state average for Biology/Life Sciences was 58% in 2013.

354 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Earth Science

The state average for Earth Science was 38% in 2013.

222 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 62% in 2013.

549 students were tested at this school in 2013.

2010

General Mathematics (Grades 6 & 7 Standards)

36 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 45% in 2013.

319 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Integrated/Coordinated Science I

The state average for Integrated/Coordinated Science I was 26% in 2013.

Physics

The state average for Physics was 38% in 2013.

World History

The state average for World History was 51% in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 13% in 2013.

79 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 39% in 2013.

298 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology/Life Sciences

The state average for Biology/Life Sciences was 41% in 2013.

196 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Chemistry

The state average for Chemistry was 46% in 2013.

287 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Earth Science

The state average for Earth Science was 35% in 2013.

44 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 52% in 2013.

512 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 15% in 2013.

139 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 54% in 2013.

526 students were tested at this school in 2013.

World History

The state average for World History was 46% in 2013.

541 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 10% in 2013.

14 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 15% in 2013.

158 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology/Life Sciences

The state average for Biology/Life Sciences was 51% in 2013.

176 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Chemistry

The state average for Chemistry was 32% in 2013.

106 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Earth Science

The state average for Earth Science was 37% in 2013.

12 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 48% in 2013.

491 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 8% in 2013.

36 students were tested at this school in 2013.

High School (Summative) Mathematics (Grade 9-11)

259 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Physics

The state average for Physics was 58% in 2013.

154 students were tested at this school in 2013.

U.S. History

The state average for U.S. History was 50% in 2013.

514 students were tested at this school in 2013.

World History

The state average for World History was 19% in 2013.

All Students17%

Parent education - some college (includes AA degree)70%
Parent education - college graduate83%
Parent education - graduate school/post graduate92%
Parent education - declined to state71%

General Mathematics (Grades 6 & 7 Standards)

All Students6%

Parent education - college graduate79%
Parent education - graduate school/post graduate85%
Parent education - declined to state67%

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 83% in 2013.

554 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 84% in 2013.

553 students were tested at this school in 2013.

All Students88%

Teacher experience

This school District averageState average
First-year teachers 2%N/AN/A
Source: CRDC, 2011-2012

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

840 East Citrus Avenue