Bad
Good

I rate this school a 4.5 star because both of my children were on an IEP. My kids have attended since they were 4 years old. With the lift program and the low ratio of student to teacher both of my kids attended general education class and are now graduated off their IEP. Ms. Wildes and the staff and teachers really do care. The CHild development center dept is well run by The director Lila. She is also very attentive and caring to our children. The -.5 has to do with the PTA. Many of the active members and leaders are clickish and not very welcoming to new mothers trying to be active in school volunteerism. To end on a positive note, I recommend this school and we are grateful to the staff, teachers and helpers of alta vista. It truly takes a community to raise children.

Alta Vista Elementary is a great school if your child needs to start in the LIFT program for special needs. The transition to grades K-5 is supportive and the teachers do care! The principal Ms. Wildes is on top of it. The front office staff is improving and more welcoming to visitors.

The school is well run, but my concern is the academic rigor. My child is not being challenged enough and I am concerned that she will regress. The work that my child brings home is equivalent to kindergarten lessons in LAUSD. I see a lot of worksheets that are not graded and look like busy work. I do not see any growth other than what I teach my child. I am very disappointed because we moved here so my child could attend a topnotch school. Too much emphasis is being put on test scores and where each school ranks. The school has high test scores, but the children aren't being challenged. I wish the teachers in 1st grade would vary their instruction to meet the needs of high performing students.

the district should consider beginning the gate program in first grade for students Obviously advanced. office receptionists could work on their communication and welcoming skills. principal wildes does a great job in recognizing students and gets an A effort..it's too bad all the teachers aren't as enthusiastic.

My son has been aprticipating in the LIFT program and they have been absolutely terrible. He has been in the program for speech defficiency since the age of 3 1/2. Now at 6 years old, he remains in the bottom 1 persecentile ins several of the speech and language catagories. During the IPE meeting, I raised concerns about other behavior patterns that were consistant with those of autism, but they were so busy praising themselves for his "progress", they were annoyed that I voiced these concerns. Despite allerting them to several behavioral patterns, some of which they acknowledged, they did not test him for autism spectrum disorders.

Our kids have been attending this school for four year and it has always been a great school, with wonderful teachers and innovative programs. Under the leadership of the new Principal Mrs Wilde it is now an outstandingly great school! She is innovating and refining existing programs and bringing out the best in the very experienced teachers who also seem to love the school. Many of the teachers have their children attend the school and some of them their parents taught there! It is a nurturing community and I am so grateful that my children have to opportunity to grow there. Mrs Wilde is very hands on; a real problem solver and deals with conflict in a very thoughtful way.

This school is great but has had problems keeping the same principal for more than a few years at a time. Apparent rifts between teachers and administrators have been apparent as it spilled out to the parent population. And, while some teachers have taught in this environment for a few years, they cannot be called seasoned. However, the new principal this year appears to be a much needed positive change to the environment and exceptional teachers do exist at this school.

Awesome School!!! Teachers are meant to be teachers guiding kids with respect and care. Principal so approachable and polite and of course with a great mind set on school and students success. The academic part is very good because you can see the extra effort and the personal touch this school has thanks to parents also, which is very important to impact in a positive way all those little ones that one day will be our future. Overall EXCELLENT!!!

The teachers are great! Principal is awesome! Volunteers are the best in helping our children.

Alta Vista is a wonderful school. The teachers and staff are terrific. I can't say enough positive about the school. Best of all, there's no homework on weekends -- so far at least! Our daughter has blossomed here. I'm very grateful for all the parental support of the school.

Last modified Alta Vista Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.