Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Just right (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Effective (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Staff member (1 response)

Grateful to: Staff member

Posted January 17, 2016
I would have selected staff member(s). There are many extraordinarily helpful teachers, administrators, and parent volunteers to thank.

Posted January 17, 2016
After a year at Everest, we are incredibly happy. Our student transfered in the middle of the school year following negative experiences at a well-regarded Public School. The staff at Everest is communicative, open, accessisible and caring. The small Charter School atmosphere is a welcome contrast to the "meat processor" of conventional public schools. I can't over-emphasize the enthusiasm we have for Everest. We have been able to openly express any concerns, and the administration has responded by helping us customize to meet our student's needs. Everest is a place where focus on learning environment and student success takes clear precedence over bureaucracy and red tape. It is a welcome change from our previous public school where teachers do not even know the names of their students. The ridiculous "track" system of California Public Schools is totally absent. If you are considering this school, I encourage you to take a careful look. It may not be for everyone, but we found it an amazing discovery and see it as a vast improvement for our student and our family.

Develops empathy: Strongly agree

Posted January 16, 2016
Teacher mentors are assigned to every student. Mentor groups provide another opportunity for relationships, learning, and community.

Posted May 18, 2015
It is just so much better than conventional school. The most outstanding parts about Everest has to be the tight community and dedicated staff that will always go out of their way to help students.

Posted January 25, 2015
Our daughter joined ?Everest this year and is halfway through 9th grade. So far, the new project-based personalized learning system has worked very well for her. We understand the concerns of previous classes where kids needed to change from a classic lecture environment midway through their high school experience. That must have been hard for some and so I understand the negative responses. In our case, Everest and the self directed approach has been a very good match. The projects have allowed her to link traditional subjects to real world scenarios. Examples include creating a stock prospectus to understand trends in Math, and a bioremediation project for Biology which involved exposure of plants to environmental factors and presentation of the results as team. Parent involvement matters a lot -- we discuss her progress weekly and have the tools to do so. I don't know if this school and approach is a match for all, but suggest it is worth checking out and taking a tour to decide. The small class sizes, involvement of a mentor through all 4 years, and motivated, talented teachers could make the school a good option for many other kids.

Posted November 18, 2014
Everest don't care about their students. The system was implied to favor Summit Public School and in no way in interest of its students. Summit Public School only did it for the money.

Posted September 01, 2014
Everest with this new system is horrible!! I will be straight forward. I am a sophomore now, but I transferred out of Everest due to the fact I didn't feel like I was taught anything. I thought a small school was good for me, but it wasn't so I decided to transfer out to M-A. Everest would be an amazing school if they went back to textbooks and actual tests. I do not believe a system with Chromebooks is correct. So many students cheat and so many students don't have plans to going to college like I do. Any parent please reconsider putting your child there. Everest will just make your child suffer!! Your other public schools offer a lot more variety from clubs to electives to challenging classes!

Everest Public High 4

Posted June 25, 2014
This school is for students who are motivated to learn and take the initiative. The teachers are there to teach the students, but not spoon feed them. The students who seek knowledge and are inquisitive will succeed in this environment. There was a lot of complaining about the new style. Many students hoped this would get the admin to switch back to the old system. It took some time to get used to the new learning environment. The learning curve was longer than I would have liked. I do think too much time was spent learning the PLP (Personalized Learning Plan). The system was not fully vetted at the beginning of school. Once we got it, it worked very well for our student. There has been too much turnover. We will have 3 directors in 4 years. The people leaving have moved to new positions within Summit Public Schools. This needs to stop or slow down. I suspect the parent involvement is like most schools: a small percentage of the parents are very involved, some are sort of involved, and some never get involved - EVEN though it is a charter school. 30 volunteer hours per student is required. We are looking forward to a great senior year without all the drama of last year.

Posted June 14, 2014
A great fit for my child. He never excelled in traditional learning environments (teacher gives content, kids absorb content, kids go home, practice content, return with demonstrations of knowledge that are turned in for credit/grades). Emphasis at Everest is more on learning and not busy work or rote memorization. The changes recently ("flipped learning", chromebooks) have inspired him to be more self-directed, proactive, and embracing of change. For the first time he could use school time to learn and get work done. He finished his junior year at Everest with his highest grades ever, and a feeling that HE is in charge of his academics. Everest is not for every kid (no school is), but it's an excellent fit for some, and I'm so grateful it exists as a public option.

Posted May 16, 2014
Horrible! This school was super great in Freshman year but ever since this new system has been implemented there have been a numerous of set backs. The teachers are a concern as they no longer teach and are helpful but rather feel the need to point us back to our Chromebooks. Even if my grades are considered outstanding I feel as if I have learned nothing. One other thing would be the spirit in this school. It has a very toxic atmosphere. As a student I have had personal conflicts with other students and even teachers! This is ridicolous. I no longer plan to attend.

455 Fifth Avenue, Redwood City, CA  94063
Last modified Everest Public High is a Charter school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.