Clifford Elementary School

Public | K-8 | 742 students

Posted July 24, 2014

Clifford is a good school for some kids. They really need to stop the segregation of the children and stop making special request for the parents who make the most noise. Moms need to get it together and stop putting their issues onto the children who carry it to the classroom. Save the drama for off campus events.

Posted April 28, 2014

I am a teacher at this school. I love the special family/community feel we have! We have amazing parents that do so much for our students! I am very lucky to work here!
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted April 2, 2014

I have an amazing Son finishing 8th grade. He earned his early education at an amazing private school named Woodland School in Portola Valley. Our family went thru some changes which made it important that he go to our neighborhood school. Ever since he transitioned to Clifford, he has learned the value of applying himself. He is now on honor roll again and has acquired an incredible since of self. He has good relationships with the teachers at Clifford. We have really enjoyed what Clifford has added to Spencer's life and he became a leader there. The school went thru several changes while we were there and the children always came first! We leave soon and I'm sure as Spencer heads to high school with confidence, it is due in part to Clifford's influence.

Posted January 28, 2014

Clifford has a well established inclusion program. The classroom aides, inclusion specialists, and teachers work well together to provide the best experience they can for LD children.

Posted September 16, 2013

Clifford can be a great public school. BUt if you really want your child be be challenged and be taught well i recommend a private school. My son used to complain how the learning environment is loud and obnoxious, and it is very hard for the middle school teachers to control their class

Posted May 15, 2013

My child is in 1st grade and has been doing well ever since he started at Clifford in Kindergarten. I do think my child's teacher puts too much emphasis on cursive-ish handwriting (teaching the kids to write with curly letters that are a little more like cursive than print, but still print.) The goal of this, to my understanding, is to make it easier to learn cursive, but in a world where they will type or dictate for most of their communication, it seems more effort than it's worth. I have no criticism of the math curriculum - my child has been doing extremely well there, but I do think the spelling words haven't been quite as challenging as they could be. As a working parent, my child also attends before and after school care, and the staff is terrific. They really care about the kids, and although I feel guilty for not being able to pick up my child earlier, I know my child is in good hands.

Posted October 28, 2012

I had some serious doubts about Clifford after a long love affair with this school but this year, with our new Principle and Assistant Principle, I have new found appreciation. My son is in 8th grade and last year had some serious challenges but with some major changes, the buzz on campus is positive and full of opportunities to learn. My 3rd grader is enjoying her class and has taken on a whole new ownership of her achievements. I could't ask for a better learning environment! She is on a waiting list for NS but it would be very hard for me to move her away since Clifford is back on track.

Posted May 7, 2012

There is a great sense of community at Clifford School. My kids have been attending Clifford for the past 8 years and they love it.

Posted April 30, 2012

We have are having a wonderful experience at Clifford. Our teachers have been excellent and the adminstration fair. There is a great sense of community at Clifford, with the parents and the kids. The kids are getting a well rounded education with slices of real life every day. Very positive experience!

Posted April 29, 2012

During the 7 years I have been teaching at Clifford and my children have been attending, I have experienced an amazing sense of community from the parents, teachers, and school staff. Making the choice to have our children attend Clifford instead of the San Carlos school they were designated to attend wasn't easy. However, this many years later, we are pleased with our decision to do so as our children have been well educated and are very well rounded. Currently, there are 6 teachers and staff members who have their children attending Clifford, and over the past 20 years there have been many more. This in itself speaks to the character of this fine school.

Posted April 29, 2012

As a Parent and Substitute Teacher for the Redwood City School District, I choose to work at Clifford above all other schools. The inclusiveness of staff and collaborative nature of administrators and parents have made this school a wonderful place for both staff and students. The sense of community on campus as well as the "family feel" of this K-8 is unlike any other. I don't understand why anyone in this neighborhood would choose to send their child anywhere else!
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted April 26, 2012

Have no fear sending your children to Clifford! It is a fabulous and well-rounded school. We have had a terrific experience there. The school has a richly diverse student population. The administration is responsive and fair. The teachers are dedicated and skilled.

Posted April 26, 2012

While my children have been at Clifford for the past 6 years I have seen what a fantastic education my children are getting. Based on my childrens' high scoring on the state's standardized testing, I feel the academics at Clifford are great. Equally important are the home lessons that are reinforced at school such as dignity, respect and awareness of others talents despite their differences. It is important to my wife and I that that our children are taught in an environment that supports those values. Another great aspect of Clifford is the amazing Parent-Teacher Organization that has supported interests from PE & Sciene to Theatre. I can't ask for a better overall school experience for my family. GO CLIFFORD!

Posted April 24, 2012

This First Rate school is a highly academic, community oriented and diverse K-8 school that offers countless opportunities to be creatively educated and enriched. As a parent at the school for more than 5 years, I have worked in the classrooms of my children and have experienced first hand the dedication, creativity, openness and excellent academic knowledge of the teachers. These teachers are skilled in working with children at all academic levels and work with them to achieve higher scores no matter where they start from. Clifford has numerous after school programs from Reading, Math and Music to Chess, Gardening and Art. Clifford's vibrant Parent-Teacher Organization funds the PE & Science programs as well as many community building events especially important since all the recent budget cuts. The teachers, administration and families embrace and celebrate the diversity at our school on many levels which is apparent in the way the children play with one another. We are truly thankful to have our family educated at this wonderful school.

Posted March 12, 2012

I have been very happy with my kids teachers and instruction. Great supprt from most parents

Posted September 16, 2011

Clifford School is an excellent example of what a top-notch community school looks like. The highly qualified, dedicated, and caring teachers keep the best interests of students in mind, providing education to meet their needs and raise them to the next level and beyond. Parents are encouraged to actively participate in the classroom and in various schoolwide activities. Administrators and staff are always happy to answer questions. It also has a very diverse student population with a wide range of ethnicities, religions, and socioeconomic backgrounds- which are all welcomed and embraced. The administration always fairly addresses any issues. Even though class sizes have increased (everywhere, not just Clifford) additional support is provided where it is needed. The dedication to making Clifford a welcoming, positive educational environment truly makes it a great place to be!

Posted March 9, 2011

Clifford is a good school. It is not however the best choice that I made for my child. I have read what most parents say about how great it is and how the teachers are dedicated...how many of these opinions are coming from Hispanic families? I feel like for the most part, if you are Hispanic, you are categorized as non english speaker, and as not being able to contribute to the school. We are all from different social classes, and from different backgrounds. The school, which is made up of parents, teachers, aides, vice principle and principle, should learn to embrace. Just because a family is not able to contribute money wise, does not mean we do not support the school. Is this what we are teaching our children? Our children are a clear reflection of who we are...we should ALL REMEMBER THAT!!!!

Posted November 8, 2010

I only put 4 stars because of the district's decision to raise classroom size. With the district raising the classroom size to 30 in the lower grades (including kindergarten!), it must not be easy - but you'd never know it - the quality of teaching and positive attitude of the staff never waivers! Clifford's sense of community and commitment to teaching the "whole child" is amazing! The teachers are devoted and the parents club is phenomenal. I'm lucky to have received a transfer to get my child in.

Posted November 7, 2010

Clifford school is an excellent learning environment that not only support the many academic, but social needs of the students. Not only does it have wonderful extra curricular activities for it's incredibly diverse population, but it's very clear that the staff loves the students through all the work they do for them. I LOVE Clifford School!!

Posted May 27, 2010

We have been at Clifford for 6 years and have had three children there. Like any institution or business, there are strengths and weaknesses. If you know what you are looking for, Clifford can be an exceptional choice. As one of the parents stated, if you truly have a gifted child, then you may want to look for alternatives. But even if your child is an above average child, they will receive a quality education. While there may be a few bad apples, most of the teachers are wonderful and they all have a positive and caring attitude. I am not sure why people think the administration is not responsive. I found if you are involved and participate (which every parent should do) the administration has been more than helpful and caring. In fact I can't imagine a school with a more caring and FAIR administration. They treat everyone as equals.

This school's
API score

817

Change from
2012 to 2013

API Statewide Rank
(2012)

API Growth scores over time

Did this school meet the API goal this year?
  • This school met the state goal of 800.

API Growth scores by subgroup

Did this school meet all the API goals for student subgroups this year?
  • This school did not meet all student subgroup API targets for 2013

Change from 2012 to 2013
API Statewide Rank
(2012)

6 / 10

API Statewide Rank (2012)

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 56% in 2013.

83 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

83 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 46% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 66% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 65% in 2013.

76 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 72% in 2013.

77 students were tested at this school in 2013.

The state average for English Language Arts was 60% in 2013.

72 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 57% in 2013.

74 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 55% in 2013.

68 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 86% in 2013.

The state average for English Language Arts was 60% in 2013.

74 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 52% in 2013.

70 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 50% in 2013.

27 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 57% in 2013.

2010

General Mathematics (Grades 6 & 7 Standards)

58 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 85% in 2013.

History - Social Science Grade 8 Cumulative

86 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 67% in 2013.

All Students59%

Parent education - not a high school graduate38%
Parent education - college graduate73%
Parent education - graduate school/post graduate82%
Parent education - declined to staten/a

General Mathematics (Grades 6 & 7 Standards)

All Students53%

Teacher experience

This school District averageState average
First-year teachers 5%N/AN/A
Source: Civil Rights Data Collection, 2011-2012

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

225 Clifford Avenue