Redwood City, CA

Posted February 23, 2015
I hope the new principal has made some changes. We had such a horrible experience the last couple of years that we pulled our children out of the entire district. There has to be a reason that at least 20 teachers have left this school in the last five years for lower paying jobs.

John Gill Elementary School 5

Posted January 21, 2015
Our son is in the 3rd grade at John Gill and has attended school there since kindergarten. We've had a phenomenal experience with the school and my son has blossomed, but not just academically. He's grown more confident and he's created nurturing friendships with his fellow classmates. Katherine Rivera joined the school in the fall as our new principal. She's tireless in her efforts to improve the children's test scores while still keeping the art and dance programs that make John Gill so special. I'm really excited to see the additional improvements that will be made in the coming months and years.

John Gill Elementary School 4

Posted December 24, 2014
My son is in second grade and we've had a wonderful experience at John Gill. He has excelled at his academics, made great friends and participated in wonderful dance and art programs. The aftercare Reach program is also an amazing and caring resource.

John Gill Elementary School 3

Posted October 21, 2014
John Gill is in a great neighborhood and there are concerned people who aren't giving up on it. The campus is lovely, the environment friendly, and we had mostly positive experience there for K-2. Unfortunately, during our time there the multi-age program (the main thing that attracted us to JG in the first place) was taken away. A group of parents fought hard to keep the program but we were overpowered by the district who claimed the mulit-age program was bringing the school down and that big changes had to be made. The next year, no big changes were made and the best teachers left the school. We are not at JG this year (simply because it was not academically challenging), so I can't speak to what is happening there now. However, please note that there is a new principal, a new vice principal (we had no VP before), and JG is on the district's radar as a school in the process of transformation. There are still parents and neighbors who care a lot about John Gill. We are keeping a close eye on its progress, and are hopeful we can join in helping turn it around so that we can send our kids back. There is talk of starting Mandarin immersion. John Gill has a lot of potential!

Posted July 28, 2014
we promoted out of this school this year thank goodness!! It started as an amazing school when my oldest began the multi age program however over the pass few years the school has lost all the amazing teachers and has gone down hill bad!! Also if you are not hispanic and do not speak spanish you will have no hope at this school because they only cater to the hispanic culture the last year of the PTA ran but some one who had every child best interest at heart was last year Michelle Masher is now gone and the hispanic mothers have taken that over.. I would not reccomend to anyone

Posted June 10, 2014
How can I get a hold of a Staff member from this school if they don't answer the phones? Now im afraid to enroll my son in this school if this is what I'll be looking at if he does go here!!

John Gill Elementary School 2

Posted February 21, 2014
My child went to this school a few years ago and we transfered to Orion Alternative to get a more nurturing environment where active involvement is encouraged. As far as I understand, there is no longer a multi-age option, which is a shame because that was one of the best things about John Gill when we were there a few years ago. Just wanted that to be clear here as many older reviews mention how great the K-2 and 3-5 mixed age classrooms were.

John Gill Elementary School 5

Posted October 06, 2013
i remembered last year when i got promoted from 5th grade. this school will always be with me. i had the best teachers ever. i always had a great time at this school but now im in a charter school with my best friend from this school. last year i gave a speech on my promotion and all of my teachers thanked me for saying in my speech of how much they helped me with learning even the teachers that were teaching at the moment herd of what i said and thanked me the other day. all i wanted to say was that John Gill was such a great school to be in as a student.

Posted September 30, 2013
Sorry, I meant to say that the school'scounselor did not know how to talk or how to work with kids,not the school psychologist.

John Gill Elementary School 2

Posted September 30, 2013
John Gill School is a good school which is increasingly specialized in serving the needs of English as a Second Language students, who are largely from Mexico. This is a difficult task, and the principal is very dedicated to all the students, and very friendly and energetic. Bullying and other bad behavior is well controlled, but there are a few rough kids. Lunches are not well supervised, usually by one teacher handling 60-odd children. PTA is vicious and represents the long term local town parents, resisting the new nature of the school. These are generally the parents who are involved, however. Parental involvement beyond PTA is not really welcome, in general. Parents who want to be involved should look at Orion Alternative School. A substantial number of teachers are burned out, a few excellent, and turnover high. This affects all students at some point. The school has a few of the old 'performing arts' programs left, a wonderful dance program, pianos, etc. This can be a good school, with luck in teachers. Nice campus and location. Decent sports. For middle or high achieving students, there is much time wasted. Hopefully will improve, much potential.

John Gill Elementary School
555 Avenue Del Ora, Redwood City, CA  94062
Last modified John Gill Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 2 out of 10 based on academic quality.
John Gill Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 39 reviews. Top