Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (5 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (4 responses)
Currently, most people answered Just right (5 responses)
Currently, most people answered Very effective (5 responses)
Currently, most people answered School leader (2 responses)

Grateful to: Teacher

Posted March 09, 2016
Mrs. Torres is a gifted kindergarten teacher. I have watched her manage her classroom with patience and creativity. She and the other kindergarten teachers have really established a strong community, and they work together to help every student.

Posted March 09, 2016
I couldn't be more pleased with my son's academic and social progress at Roosevelt. The kindergarten teachers are amazingly patient, warm, creative, and professional. I have met a lot of great parents, too, who are invested in the school environment. I am so thankful that all my three children will be at the same school (at least for a time) and will get project-based learning up through eighth grade -- no separate middle school experience, and the chance to be real leaders in their school during those middle school years. My husband and I are both products of elite private school education all the way through, and I was a high school English teacher for over a decade. We know a lot about education in this area, and though we have no complaints about our own experiences, we want our kids' education to be more balanced, more real world applicable. We want them to feel comfortable taking risks (and failing) and to take ownership of their own learning. We want them to learn in a diverse socioeconomic and cultural setting, which will help them learn to build relationships across all boundaries. After lots of research and talking with neighbors and weighing our options, we decided to make Roosevelt our school of choice. (It isn't our neighborhood school.) There are those who look at test scores and demographics and start to panic about their children falling behind or not getting the best of the best. As a former teacher at an elite private school, I will - frankly - say that I think this is hogwash. If YOU (as a parent) are invested in your child's learning, he/she will be just fine. In this part of the world, I am more concerned with over-investment (tons of homework, parents doing the projects, kids feeling the pressure to be perfect). Roosevelt is focused and BALANCED in their educational approach. And their award-winning PBL focus is testament to that. Every day when my son marches (or skips, dances, even runs) into his classroom, I glance around at the other smiling parents and grandparents doing drop-off, I glance around at the peaceful courtyard with the verdant garden in the middle, and I take a deep breath. I know I've made a good decision for my son and my family.

Posted February 08, 2016
Overall experience Roosevelt is my children's second home. My oldest son is in 8th grade and he has been at Roosevelt since kinder. We have been very happy. Teachers are great and principal as well. My kids always tell me how happy they are at Roosevelt. We love you Roosevelt !!!!

Posted February 07, 2016
Our principal, Trish Girardi, has been named Multiplier of the Year in Education by the Wiseman Group, a leadership and research development center which focuses on preparing leaders to tackle some of the world’s toughest challenges. Trish hires good people, deploys them where they can make their best contributions, and helps them find what they need for success. She shines a spotlight on the talent that she magnetically attracts to the school, giving ownership for end goals, challenging us to use our creativity and ingenuity in finding our way there. She creates an intense environment that requires our best thinking and work. API scores have increased, 119 points in 5 years. Her leadership has unlocked the genius in us all! Since she became Principal, Roosevelt has won the Russell J. Kent Award, 2009, 2012, and 2014, Boyajian Honored Teacher Award, 2011, PIA Hero Award 2010, SMCRA Celebrate Literacy Award, 2012, and in 2013, SMC Teacher of the Year, SMCRA Literacy Award, CSBA Golden Bell, and Biz World Champions. Roosevelt is a wonderful school.

Grateful to: Student

Posted February 07, 2016
We have amazing students. They take their education seriously, and support each other as people.

Teacher effectiveness: Very effective

Posted February 07, 2016
Our teachers have won many awards within the county and Northern California for their effectiveness as teachers and leaders.

Amount of homework: Just right

Posted February 07, 2016
Our students are encouraged to read 45 minutes daily and do other homework as required. It is enough to support classroom learning without over-burdening their healthy growth as children.

Develops grit: Strongly agree

Posted February 07, 2016
Roosevelt School's motto is, "Dream it, believe it, acheive it!". Our students are taught to persevere, attend to precision, and maintain a growth mindset.

Develops respect: Strongly agree

Posted February 07, 2016
Because of the diverse backgrounds of our students, tolerance and respect for all cultures and peoples are a daily part of student life at Roosevelt School.

Develops empathy: Strongly agree

Posted February 07, 2016
Unlike schools that require students to pass an entrance exam in order to attend, Roosevelt accepts and encourages students from all demographic backgrounds equally.

2223 Vera Ave., Redwood City, CA  94061
Last modified Roosevelt Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.