Redwood City, CA

Posted October 28, 2014
I do not get the negative reviews at all, other than to assume that some parents will be dissatisfied at any school. We have had 2 kids there for several years and we feel we receive very good education and value for the tuition. We are not members of the church but feel we receive equal attention as those that are. Nor do I feel squeezed for money at every turn. I have not seen an iota of the issues mentioned, such as bullying. I'm sorry if that has been someone's experience but it simply has not been ours, with kids in multiple grades (boys and girls).

Posted May 20, 2014
This is my child s first year at the school. We transferred from a highly regarded public Blue Ribbon School. Redeemer has been a true blessing for our family. Our child was bullied at the previous school and was not thriving academically or socially. This year we noticed huge leaps in confidence and a newfound love for school and learning. I am highly sensitive when it comes to bullying especially after our experience at the public school. I volunteer during the lunch hour, so have exposure to several grades and have never noticed any bullying occurring. We had a couple of instances with our child misbehaving and the principal handled the situation in a stern, but loving manner. I feel that a more solution-based approach is best suited when working with school staff. I looked at a lot of other private schools and the tuition at Redeemer is on par with other parish school in the area. In some cases it s even lower in price.

Posted April 16, 2014
This school has a big problem with bullying they don't want to address. The teaching is really poor quality. The kids perform really bad on standardized tests. I agree with the review about that "It's a church w/ attached school mainly for generating income"

Posted January 14, 2014
I highly disagree with the poster who feels that the school and principal allow bullying and exhibit favoritism. On the contrary, my 6 years at Redeemer have shown me that while imperfect, the staff at RLS is committed to growing and evolving into an educational institution that serves ALL students. Rather than ignore the feedback, the staff seems to take to heart each interaaction as a source of growth, challenging themselves to grow in curricular areas on an annual basis. Over the course of my tenure with children at RLS, I have witnessed the teachers and programs grow with the addition of a Vice Principal, RSP teacher, PE teacher and curricular growth in the sciences, writing, math, and technology. Considering the fact that RLS is a moderately priced (unsubsidized) school, they are always providing a quality, child-focused, relationship building, emotionally supportive, CHRIST-centered environment in which EACH child is loved and valued. I am so sad that the previous posters have had such negative perceptions and would love to hear more about these interactions/expectations and how and in which ways they felt unheard and unappreciated.

Posted December 30, 2013
i highly do not recommend this school for anyone. the principal is emotionally and verbally abusive, along with some of the teachers. though some teachers are outstanding supportive people, most of the teaching is a joke. there is blatant favoritism. people who don't deserve to get awards get multiple awards. they don't really challenge you, they've added a few programs since but still the same. the principal is only nice if you're new to make sure you stay enrolled at the school. the bullying and issues are not handled properly and just make things worse. and lastly the teachers make it quite obvious when they don't like you.

Posted October 17, 2013
This is our 4th year at Redeemer, and we've been more than pleased with the education and experience our child has gotten. The environment is always extremely positive, caring, and a great place to drop your child off every day. The Principal, Mr Mancini, greets every child and parent by name. He is not only one of the most enthusiastic principals you will ever meet- he cares greatly about each child, his teachers and staff, All the teachers at Redeemer are enthusiastic educators, and give each child the tools to succeed. In middle school, where most of our experience is, the kids get great benefits. Public speaking is a required part of their studies. This is a huge step for many kids, and it really prepares them for high school as well as life in general. The middle school offers different math levels which the kids test in to- which gives each child a chance to fully understand all concepts as well as be challenged. Redeemer offers a wealth of enrichment classes like drama, art, sign language, computer science, engineering, etc. I can't say enough about Redeemer as a wonderful place to trust with your child & their education.

Posted July 22, 2013
Redeemer is a small, caring, dedicated, and Christ-centered learning community. I have been a parent at RLS for 5 years, with two children currently enrolled and one to join in a few years. The community of Redeemer is committed to nurturing and engaging all types of learners. I have never had a problem with having staff or the principal respond to my needs, concerns, or questions. The teachers love their students, work hard each year to expand their expectations (writing scope and sequence, writer's workshop, math facts, Resource support) and experiences for our children (Ocean Week, Cultural Week, Science Night, Author's Night, etc). The recent addition of the Resource teacher, PE teacher, Vice Principal, and Principal's Advisory Board are other examples of the school's commitment to education. Do not let any of these negative reviews sway you from calling the school for a visit. Check it out for yourself, you will not be disappointed!

Posted July 15, 2013
To the reviewer who stated that their are 16 "free" staff children that are driving up the rates, please elaborate because I do believe your false information needs to be corrected. Rates are not driven by ANYTHING other than the normal 3-5% increase ALL aspects of the economy undergo on an annual basis. Please feel free to share the source of your wisdom as that seems to be what is driving you to give such a negative review.

Posted May 07, 2013
Reading the negative reviews. My exact experience. They also are not a 'bargain' they have gone up. They are paying for 16 staff children to go to the school so they are charging a lot more to cover them. DO NOT RECOMMEND. Regret sending my kids here. Certain parents run the parent board. If you have a new idea they don't care. The special ed program is not effective sine the middle school teachers rarely follow what is supposed to be done.

Posted August 19, 2011
Redeemer School is a BARGAIN for the top-notch education that my child has received and is currently receiving. My friends are surprised when I tell them that every year, my child's teacher visits our home before school starts to answer any of our questions and to get to know my child before the year even begins! The teachers have always been available to meet with me, and the communication is excellent. The principal has a passion for Christ that is visible to all, and he is a great example for my child. The team is never satisfied with just an average year; it seems that they are constantly working to make the best school. They have implemented a Culture Week (the kids study different countries and present them to the rest of the school), standards-based report cards, the use of "Smart Boards" in the classroom, and even had a science day last year with several of the grades completing fun experiments! I looked at many other schools in the area (including North Star), but nothing compares to the academic and spiritual education that Redeemer offers my child. If you want your child to be known as more than a number, bring them to Redeemer!

Redeemer Lutheran School
468 Grand Street, Redwood City, CA  94062
Last modified Redeemer Lutheran School is a Private school that serves grades K-8
Redeemer Lutheran School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 19 reviews. Top