No rating

Wellspring Academy

Private | 7-12

Student diversity

Living in Reedley

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $129,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $740.

Sweep tile

Posted January 8, 2014

I believe this school has changed a lot since I attended. I attended in it's early days when it was still called "AOS". I have visited since I left and the changes were definitely for the better. While I loved the RAs and clinical staff, they seem a lot more competent now. As for the actual education, I can't say what it is like now but when I went there it was a joke. Super easy and very little homework because you only had one hour of study hall in the evening the rest of the time was working out, etc. I hope it has gotten better and that the program is easier to manage outside of the school setting because 99% of my fellow classmates (myself included) gained our weight back and then some. It definitely was an amazing experience and I have friends for life from this place. I would definitely go back if I could afford it (and I wasn't too old) just to give it a second chance of sticking with me. I did lose about 70 lbs though!

Posted May 7, 2009

This school is wonderful! The kids lose weight. They walk or run twice daily 10,000+ steps. They participate in weight training, fencing, biking, swimming, yoga, and sports activities as desired. They get a great education in nutrition and culinary arts. They go to movies, baseball games, shopping and the gym. The even have outings to restaurants. They learn how to live and eat in a healthy manner. It is 20 grams of fat or fewer per day and 1,200 restricted calories. Fruits, vegetables, nonfat frozen yogurt, fat free jello are all unrestricted calories. Meaning you can eat as much of these foods as you want past the 1,200 calories. Parents attend workshops and are taught how to maintain a very low fat kitchen at home. They provide loads of recipes. It is easy to follow. The theraputic services and follow up services are great! Well worth the money!

Posted November 4, 2008

i went for twelve months. lost 125 lbs. and at home its difficult; but this school is the most amazing thing that has ever happend to me in my whole life. and it is WORTH keeping up with it at home.

Posted April 7, 2008

I went to Academy of the Sierras for about 7 and a half months. I loved it there. I lost 115 pounds, and I'm feeling great! I'm also doing great in school!

Posted March 24, 2008

I went to AOS for 8 months and lost around 60 lbs. At AOS its only 10 grams of fat a day and 1200 calories. The teachers are fun and they have around 12 dogs all of them friendly, 2 horses, african sheep, and emu. I thought aos was too strict. You have to move up in the level system just to be able to go outside. Boys and girls are allowed to be near each other but every time anyone wanted to hold hands or maybe just hug you were quickly seperated. A lot of times i found that i was still hungry after dinner so me and my roomate snuck apples into our room. This school does not work well with people who have eating disorders. When you leave aos you are expected to have only 15 grams of fat a day and 1200 calories. Not realistic!

42675 Road 44